RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
water pump on and city water at same time

I was away from my newmar dutch star for several weeks. I stopped to check it and the city water pipe was broken at the campground street. I did not have my pump on.
When i entered the motorhome i heard a soft crackling noise...i looked at the freezer...the ice maker was caked up. I was wondering if it was trying to get water for ice and could not and therefore was making that soft crackle sound.
Is it ok to leave the pump on not knowing when the city water will come on. I am concerned that the pump will be on as well as city water pressure. thank you

IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

The sound from your ice maker was probably normal if it was jammed. The drive is designed to slip if necessary. From what I understand, they are designed to slip indefinitely withou damaging anything.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

Should not be a problem with having the pump on with city water as it will only run when the demand is there and with city water there should not be a demand.

Think about this, if you are not at the coach and something fails and starts a leak how long will it leak before being detected and remedied. A day can create quite a mess, a week even more of one.In the past 15 years I have seen 5 or 6 units with water streaming out of them. No one was home and all I could was turn off the outside spigot. If the pump had also been on the fresh water tank would have been emptyed adding more water and posssibly burning out the pump.

When I leave the coach I usually turn off the water to preclude that possibility.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
thank you for the prompt reply.....sounds a bit encouraging. Is there any problem if i leave my water pump switch on and not have to worry when the city water gets repaired and comes on...In other words is it ok to have the water pump switch on while hooked up to city water at the same time? I am not in the motorhome at the moment so i am concerned. I do not want anything to go wrong if i do put the water pump on and i leave the motorhome.....not knowing when the city water will also get turned on...Thanks again
Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
thanks for the tip...I guess there is no reason for the water to be on if i am not there. I do not think i will turn the outside water off everytime i leave and then turn it on again when i get back in the evening....( i could ...but i do live in it full time) You tip is well taken ...thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

ImGadget,

Just remember experience is the best teacher, however the cost of tuition can be high.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
ImGadget,

Just remember experience is the best teacher, however the cost of tuition can be high.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
I have no intention of arguing with the teacher,....especially when i do know the teacher is right....thank you
Old 07-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no problem having water pump on with city water connected, some people do that to increase water pressure for showers.
If you leave the city water connected make sure all your faucets are completely closed.
If not when you return your tube shower will be completely full and you will notice water dripping out the bottom of your coach and moving into bedroom rug inside.
It doesn't have to be a great flow out of your faucet to do this.
Its just one of those things with kids in a hurry after brushing their teeth, what who me.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

I think for day to day operation, having the pump on while connected to city water is OK yet not needed. Leaving everything on while being gone for a day while site seeing or working is also OK. But If I were to be gone for weeks, I turn off the pump, tun off the city water, stop the ice maker, and anything else that I could.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

I leave my pump off unless I am using it, regardless of whether or not I am connected to city water. I had a situation a few years ago when I left the pump on all the time. I was connected to city water with and the pressure was about 25 psi. I had the Shurflo 5.7 in my coach and it ran a low speed continuously, responding to the low line pressure of the city supply. Needless to say, after a few days.....the pump died. I didn't know it was on.

Now, I never leave the pump on unless I am want the additional flow. My pump maintains a pressure of about 55 psi in the motorhome. I test the city supply for pressure before connecting and always use my own pressure regulator which is set to 60 psi. If city pressure is more than 60, I never use the pump. If less, I will use the pump to supplement showers, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
thanks everyone

great education....thank you all for all your help......and fast too. thanks, allen aka gadget
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Reading this thread, I have a question maybe someone can answer. If I leave city water on, my 05 MADP tank fills ever-so-slowly. It was taking 2+ hours to fill. The shop told me it was the full-coach water filtration system that made it so slow. Does that seem reasonable, or should I be looking for something else?

Also, when it is full, it begins pouring out overflow valve (mid-coach, passenger-side). How do you run your coach off city-water, without water coming out overflow? Is there a shut-off valve? Any cautionary tales?

Thanks,
littlec
littlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #13

Littlec,
The only thing I can think of is that there is a leak in the "cit water diverter" valve that runs off of the city water connection. The purpose of this valve is to divert the city water into the fresh water tank to fill it. In other words, in our '07 DSDP, to fill the fresh water tank I hook up city water, and then rotate the valve handle counter clockwise to fill the fresh water tank.

Maybe the diverter is not fully closing, or is leaking in some other way.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
i think part of your question was already answered...
when filling up with water or hooking up to run motorhome off of outside water I turn a handle/valve on the panel by the motorhome hookup.
I do not know the answer as to why it takes so long to fill up since it might be one of many things. I would think it is a possibility that if your filters are clogged it would slow down the flow rate, but that is a maybe and of course there would be other things to search out...good luck this is a great site and you just might get your answer

Tags
water