Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

Question Water shut off while taking shower- perfect timing

I'm running my tank water due to the night time cold temps. While taking a shower all of a sudden the water stops running. The pump lite is Still on. I'm hooked up To shore power 50 amp. Coincidentally the furnace shuts off at the same time. That I yell "what happened". I was running a 1500 watt space heater. I also have the electric water heater on. I have my wife check the breakers in the bathroom. All are not tripped. I told her to turn the space heater off and start the generator. My wife turned off the water pump and a few minutes later she turned it back on and I had water again. Finished shower with hot water. Came out turned the furnace up to 68 and put the space heater on. Outside temp is 37*. My water tank is at 1/3 after my shower. Everything seems normal now. Except in my head!
What do you think happened? This never happened before.

Some of the things I did was due to me panicking dripping soap and not having my glasses on. Not thinking clearly.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water shut off while taking shower- perfect timing

Are you still running on generator? Sounds like it may be the main ac breaker on the power post. It's unlikely coincidence that your load was well distributed so you never blew any individual breaker, but sometimes it can happen. You did have a pretty good total load. Water pump and furnace blower plus misc lights and a few other little D.C. things all ensure that your converter was working hard to feed those batteries. Add the water heater and the space heater to other standard ac loads and it may have been just enough, even more so if the CG breaker is old and weak.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Are you still running on generator? Sounds like it may be the main ac breaker on the power post. It's unlikely coincidence that your load was well distributed so you never blew any individual breaker, but sometimes it can happen. You did have a pretty good total load. Water pump and furnace blower plus misc lights and a few other little D.C. things all ensure that your converter was working hard to feed those batteries. Add the water heater and the space heater to other standard ac loads and it may have been just enough, even more so if the CG breaker is old and weak.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
Don't remember but we did have a lot of heating things on at once. Shut the generator off within a couple of minutes. Then everything was normal. Wonder if the power management system just shut a couple of things down. This kind of stuff freaks me out! Think there is alien forces at work? Lol
Old 01-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're running a EMS like a Progressive Industries that shuts down for low voltage, it may have tripped and reset.

But I'm a little confused about the water pump... it's DC, not AC, right? Two entirely different systems.

For that matter, the "furnace" is also not AC.

I don't know. I guess I have more questions than answers and not much help. Oh, well. Carry on.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
I'm running my tank water due to the night time cold temps. While taking a shower all of a sudden the water stops running. The pump lite is Still on. I'm hooked up To shore power 50 amp. Coincidentally the furnace shuts off at the same time. That I yell "what happened". I was running a 1500 watt space heater. I also have the electric water heater on. I have my wife check the breakers in the bathroom. All are not tripped. I told her to turn the space heater off and start the generator. My wife turned off the water pump and a few minutes later she turned it back on and I had water again. Finished shower with hot water. Came out turned the furnace up to 68 and put the space heater on. Outside temp is 37*. My water tank is at 1/3 after my shower. Everything seems normal now. Except in my head!
What do you think happened? This never happened before.

Some of the things I did was due to me panicking dripping soap and not having my glasses on. Not thinking clearly.
Sounds like the house disconnect solenoid dropped out and then picked back up??? Correct me if wrong...........your water pump and furnace still should of operated even if you lost shore power.........as the water pump and furnace operate on 12v DC.
Just like boondocking.......
Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
YC1

Sounds like you have run down batteries. That may be due to loss of 110 volts to your converter/inverter.

See if there are some breakers on the inverter itself.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water pump runs on 12 volts.. not 120 so if the lights still work and (you mentioned she started teh generator. same batteries) it was not the converter.. Might have been a hosue disconnect. MOre likely it was wife accidently turning the water pump off.. then back on, and not telling you

Might have been a loose wire or other bad connection though

Speaking of which the water pump is on the "Soon to be replaced" list in my RV
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #8

Everything has been ok since. I'll have to chalk it up to ghosts or aliens. Thanks for all the info. I did learn that the water pump and the and furnace run off D.C. Thanks
Old 01-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Chalk it up to just another experience in the Motorhome!!
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #10

It is nice when a MH fixes itself...
Old 01-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

Well, it is a real head scratcher. There are multiple switches in the coach for turning on the water pump. I am curious. Did you turn on the pump from the bathroom? If so is this the same switch that DW recycled?

I ask because I had one of my 12v momentary switches fail recently. We could run the pump from the other switches. If you turned on the pump from the bathroom, after your shower (and after you put your glasses on) did you try the switch to see if it worked?
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #12

Mad dawg. I think I know what happened. Maybe it was what you said, did, or bought. Your DW must have found out. DW can also mean devious wife. Just had to say that. But I had the same thing while I was in the shower I was on the fresh water tank and I had the auto fill on but I had the water turned off at the hydrant. Cant remember exactly what all happened but I can relate to no glasses soap in eyes wet and cold.
Steve Mosher.
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, water