RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
The problem is the backflushing. As you travel the media will become compacted. Brine rinsing will not reach all the media. About every three times with my on the go, I would shake it, turn it upside down and backflush. This makes your soft water last much longer.
Winepress, also went the route of ABC: https://602abcwater.com/
All residential softeners back flush. Then it must be important regardless of what a salesman says. The choice of softener units comes down to space and convenience. Since we prioritized the space, convenience then was number one. Add salt every couple of months and the rest is automatic.

AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on cartridge based water softener filters like this one https://www.aquios.net/aqfs120-mini-...water-softener Here is their promo sheet https://aquios.net/documents/AQFS120_Overview.pdf
Isaac-1, after visiting the Aquios website, I am of the opinion they are selling a high priced carbon filter. Now there is a place for carbon filters. I use two coconut shell carbon block filters that all water entering my coach runs through. Reasonable priced filters can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After spending months looking for a space saving water softener solution I came full circle to a traditional salt system (link in previous post). Regarding drinking water, we filter with a Reverse Osmosis. So our only concern is soft water for all of our other uses. I don't think there is any short cut to soft water.

AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #31
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I permanently installed my softener in my DS last summer. It's worked great. This past weekend, however, I got to personally experience one of the downsides of the on coach water softener installation. I got a slow leak from the cap on the softener and did not find it for about 24 hours. The bay with the softener was soaking ouwet. I had to unload the basement and spent a half day drying it out with fans.

Needless to say, the next project I tackle when I get back home will be to add a containment basin for the softener (similar to a water heater) and leak detection with a solenoid valve to shut off the water supply line. I initially intended to install these items, but decided not to at the last minute. Now I'm motivated.

Tom
Great info! Plan on buying a DS 4369 next yr. What softener did you buy and where/what bay did you install it in? The containment basin is a great idea
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Great info! Plan on buying a DS 4369 next yr. What softener did you buy and where/what bay did you install it in? The containment basin is a great idea

jrs, I bought the "On the Go" 16,000 grain water softener. It's worked great for me and has performed flawlessly for two plus years. The only problem (the leak) was due to operator error.

Because the DW and I do not do much boondocking, I have not invested in solar so I installed the softener in the driver's side bay next to the house batteries. I secured the softener to one of the basement support columns with a steel band clamp and routed two 3/4" PEX pipes between the frame rails over the gray and black tanks into the wet bay. I terminated the PEX pipes at the water softener end with hose bibs and connect to the water softener with braided steel hoses. In the wet bay, the PEX pipes are terminated in 3 way valves that tie into the existing piping so I have the option to bypass and remove the water softener without affecting the water system.

Tom
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update

We used the new water softener all weekend. It worked great, and the wife hates the way the water now feels. Plumbing job had zero leaks, love those sharkbite PEX fittings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #34

Ftharrisiii: great idea! Can you provide pics of both ends of the system you installed?
Calpop45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
We used the new water softener all weekend. It worked great, and the wife hates the way the water now feels. Plumbing job had zero leaks, love those sharkbite PEX fittings.
Hates the way the water now feels?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post

LoL!! But the real question is, is water wet??
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post

LoL!! But the real question is, is water wet??
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I donít know about this being an EZ mod. In my case it has been a major pain just routing the piping from one side of the coach to the other. Then trying to match up the different sizes of hosing and Pex fittings. There has to be 8 million miles of wires, conduit and piping running through these coaches, all getting in the way of snaking 2 lengths of Pex or hose from one side to the other. Check valves and back flow preventers and shut off valves also.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #39

Do you have to do all this?

Is there any reason not to just put a portable water softener canister between the city water supply faucet and the hose to your RV? In our coach the water filter is between the hose and the fresh water tank. So the water is filtered before it hits our faucets and shower. Is there any issue with having the water softener set up when you camp before it hits the water filter?
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianschneider View Post
Is there any reason not to just put a portable water softener canister between the city water supply faucet and the hose to your RV? In our coach the water filter is between the hose and the fresh water tank. So the water is filtered before it hits our faucets and shower. Is there any issue with having the water softener set up when you camp before it hits the water filter?
No and I have seen it done, but I wanted it installed so it is one less thing to mess with during setup or leaving. In my case I had the perfect spot to place it if you look at my picture in post one. It looks like it was meant to be there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes-itís all about convenience. I purchased the water softener then went on two trips and quickly realized this is a pain in the butt. Beneficial, but a pain. Very heavy and awkward to store.

As I am in the process of installing my now(will finish today) I took Tomís idea and installed a bypass around the softener. Just seemed like a good idea. However I cannot find the wall mounted pressure regulator in the original thread. Have look everywhere it seems. Any one have an idea about that?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Picture of our water softener. I've since attached it to the beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Softener On the Go installed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	211592  

vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water