RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
On my 4369 I installed in the first bay behind the batteries. Automatic unit regens when needed.
Attachment 215488

What does the automatic regen waste line connect to? Does it go to the gray tank or ??

ftharrisiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #58

Water softener Installation (Easy DIY Project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Winepress, what brand of water softener is that? Looks great.

It looks like a standard RV size softener with a fleck 5600sxt valve. I didnít even think to do that on my unit. Youíd need a brine tank also, something portable. Regen line most likely goes to the grey water tank directly or indirectly.

kpecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #59

This looks intriguing. How does it sense when regeneration is necessary?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
This looks intriguing. How does it sense when regeneration is necessary?

I use these at my home. You preset them to either number of days or number of gallons. Itís just an automatic digital timer that opens valves. Simply yet effective.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
What does the automatic regen waste line connect to? Does it go to the gray tank or ??

Yes, goes to the grey tank with a check valve installed. Small brine tank is in front of the softener. Got it on Amazon, sold by a company, www.602abcwater.com
Old 08-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Yes, goes to the grey tank with a check valve installed. Small brine tank is in front of the softener. Got it on Amazon, sold by a company, www.602abcwater.com

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into it. Did you do the installation or was installation a part of the price?
ftharrisiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #63

Quote:

Looks like a good system!! I should have gone this route.

ABCwaters built Compact Fleck 5600sxt 16k TC Water Softener System - Perfect for RVs...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y43L533..._-tDEBb2PDVWBW
Old 08-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #64

Any detailed pictures or info how/where the fresh line goes in and regency line gets connected to the grey tank. Iím assuming the regeneration gets connected to the grey tank.
Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #65

The automatic regen is a nice feature in a home with always on water supply and always available sewer drain. But in an RV, I would think you'd need more manual control of when regeneration occurs. How have you setup the Fleck 5600sxt?

What would be great is if the system could monitor water usage and notify you that a regen needs to occur... then you could control when to start regeneration when you are setup.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #66
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Arrow ABCwaters Regen uses 25 gals of water

FYI,

Just talked to ABCwaters and they say in the 16K RV unit. It takes 25 gallons to re-gen. This would be a strain on water/holding if boondocking???

I can see this working well with full hook-ups and using the auto regen for convenience. I really like that. I would turn off when traveling......LOL I also found out for ABCwaters that chlorine is the toughest issue with a water softener. He said a pre-carbon filter will kill the chlorine issue.

Thanks for a great thread and good info. I have a lot of good ideas on how to install my ABCwaters.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #67

Water softener Installation (Easy DIY Project)

I didnít take photos of the install, but can explain how I did it.
The supply lines are routed back to the house water filter. I ran the discharge brine line back to the grey tank. Removed the peg board and tapped into the vent pipe that is on top of the tank. I also installed a check valve to prevent any grey water from going back into the softner brine line.
The unit arrives pre programmed to cycle every two weeks, but it is easy to change. You can also do a manual regeneration by holding down the function button. I measured and can confirm about 25 gallons of water usage, so you ideally would be on shore hookups when doing the regen. It took me about 1/2 day to install with several trips to the hardware store to get the right fittings.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #68

Thanks
Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #69
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Going to Do IT!!!!!

Quote:
I didnít take photos of the install, but can explain how I did it.
The supply lines are routed back to the house water filter. I ran the discharge brine line back to the grey tank. Removed the peg board and tapped into the vent pipe that is on top of the tank. I also installed a check valve to prevent any grey water from going back into the softner brine line.
The unit arrives pre programmed to cycle every two weeks, but it is easy to change. You can also do a manual regeneration by holding down the function button. I measured and can confirm about 25 gallons of water usage, so you ideally would be on shore hookups when doing the regen. It took me about 1/2 day to install with several trips to the hardware store to get the right fittings.

Thanks for all the good info. I use the portable now and wrench my back under my side to load and unload. I think I will install a carbon filter that I can bypass if not needed for areas I visit that have a lot of chlorine in their water supply. Again, I appreciate all the facts and tips you have provided.

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Not sure what I am missing here. Please correct me if I am wrong. From the description, to regenerate you add salt to a filter canister. That part is straight forward to understand. Once the salt water passes through the resin tank, you state it "passes right through the bathroom sink." Is this done by turning on the sink facet and letting it run during the regen process? Trying to picture in my mind how you plumbed downstream of the resin tank.
The regen water flows (slowly) for an hour through the one leg of the house plumbing through whatever cold faucet you open, could be the kitchen or bathroom makes no difference, regen water passes right down the drain and out to the sewer. I hope that makes sense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water