Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #15

I don’t have the room to permanently install the water softener so I leave my outside tucked in flush with side of the coach. So the setup is double water filter - to - water softener to coach, it looks presentable.

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #16

Do you have a way to back flush the water softener unit? I can't tell from the photos.

I have a similar 16,000 grain water softener from On the Go that looks very similar to the unit in your pictures. On the Go states that their unit should be back flushed every 3 months and before putting the unit into storage. Does the unit you purchased have that requirement?
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Having had the unit that you manually re-generate, I installed this. The problem is the backflushing. As you travel the media will become compacted. Brine rinsing will not reach all the media. About every three times with my on the go, I would shake it, turn it upside down and backflush. This makes your soft water last much longer.
This is the answer for convenience

https://www.amazon.com/ABCwaters-Com...ords=ABC+fleck
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
Do you have a way to back flush the water softener unit? I can't tell from the photos.

I have a similar 16,000 grain water softener from On the Go that looks very similar to the unit in your pictures. On the Go states that their unit should be back flushed every 3 months and before putting the unit into storage. Does the unit you purchased have that requirement?

I looked at On the Go also and decided against that company in favor of HydroTech. Price and delivery along with a customer service guy that answered all my questions and told me how to install it ultimately lead to my decision to buy from them. They said back flushing is not required.

If I were to store the coach again it would require pulling the unit because it would be during the winter in Ohio. Thankfully I'll be wintering in warm climates so that will not be necessary.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Having had the unit that you manually re-generate, I installed this. The problem is the backflushing. As you travel the media will become compacted. Brine rinsing will not reach all the media. About every three times with my on the go, I would shake it, turn it upside down and backflush. This makes your soft water last much longer.
This is the answer for convenience

https://www.amazon.com/ABCwaters-Com...ords=ABC+fleck
The ABCwaters unit would not fit in my coach or would of require major heart ache because I have slides in every compartment.

Since this is a new installation and I do not experience with that problem you outlined. I could easily install a temporary pump using the 3/4" unions and run the flow in reverse to fluidize the resin bed if the bed experiences that problem. Thanks for informing of the potential maintenance problem.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #20

Does anyone have an opinion on cartridge based water softener filters like this one https://www.aquios.net/aqfs120-mini-...water-softener Here is their promo sheet https://aquios.net/documents/AQFS120_Overview.pdf
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on cartridge based water softener filters like this one https://www.aquios.net/aqfs120-mini-...water-softener Here is their promo sheet https://aquios.net/documents/AQFS120_Overview.pdf

In my opinion I personally would not want to use it. Look at the cost of replacing the cartridges. That is a little pricey. But if limited space was a factor in a small RV and you could accommodate this type of unit in any mounting orientation and stomach the high cost of cartridges then it may be an option for you.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:07 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Water softener Installation (Easy DIY Project)

Great thread and info. I will be considering this idea as would save a lot of our current procedures like putting a pail over the top for uv protection and waiting for a calm day/time to pour salt in the top. We have the same one and the supplier recommends back flushing every 3-4 regens so waiting for a design to reverse the flow without disconnecting or removing. It also fixes the issue of trying to control the water flow when pouring in salt so you have a great start. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Regarding the aquios, I would not recommend it for the following reasons; 6psi pressure drop tech data but fluf advertising states virtually no psi drop. Doesn’t remove any minerals. Fluf way around softening. Cost.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #24

I have been giving the back flush idea and concern with my installation a little thought. I am going to get a mag drive pump and tee it in on a close loop with reverse flow on the softener. When the pump is turned on it will fluidize the bed and alleviate the problem of potential compaction of the bed.

Since this would be a closed loop I could leave the pump plumbed in and make this a permanent feature. When I get around to doing I'll post some pictures of the installation.

I may have access to one of these pumps or similar:

Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #25

I permanently installed my softener in my DS last summer. It's worked great. This past weekend, however, I got to personally experience one of the downsides of the on coach water softener installation. I got a slow leak from the cap on the softener and did not find it for about 24 hours. The bay with the softener was soaking wet. I had to unload the basement and spent a half day drying it out with fans.

Needless to say, the next project I tackle when I get back home will be to add a containment basin for the softener (similar to a water heater) and leak detection with a solenoid valve to shut off the water supply line. I initially intended to install these items, but decided not to at the last minute. Now I'm motivated.

Tom
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftharrisiii View Post
I permanently installed my softener in my DS last summer. It's worked great. This past weekend, however, I got to personally experience one of the downsides of the on coach water softener installation. I got a slow leak from the cap on the softener and did not find it for about 24 hours. The bay with the softener was soaking wet. I had to unload the basement and spent a half day drying it out with fans.

Needless to say, the next project I tackle when I get back home will be to add a containment basin for the softener (similar to a water heater) and leak detection with a solenoid valve to shut off the water supply line. I initially intended to install these items, but decided not to at the last minute. Now I'm motivated.

Tom

Add something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too am working on moving the water softener inside. I would recommend anyone thinking about this mod to check out Dave Bott. He had a video blog named “Outside our bubble”. Check out his “wetbay” blog. Either on YouTube or website.
TWINCAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The regen is done with shore water and passes right through the bathroom sink and down the drain through the grey and down the sewer.[/IMG]
Not sure what I am missing here. Please correct me if I am wrong. From the description, to regenerate you add salt to a filter canister. That part is straight forward to understand. Once the salt water passes through the resin tank, you state it "passes right through the bathroom sink." Is this done by turning on the sink facet and letting it run during the regen process? Trying to picture in my mind how you plumbed downstream of the resin tank.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water