Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #1

Water softener Installation (Easy DIY Project)

I purchased the largest water softener that would fit in between my Oasis boiler and Oasis distribution panel. It produces 16 Gains water. I used 3/4" Sharkbite hose adapters for easy removal if required down the road. I drilled two one inch holes to access wet bay. The 3/4" Sharkbite hose goes to from the hose reel via PEX to the water softener to Sharkbite 3/4" hoses in and out of water softener via PEX and then reused the 3/4" Sharkbite check valve and a PEX to hose adapter back into the existing braided 3/4" Nylon hose.

Parts list:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Vendor will give you free shipping if you ask for it.

Lowes: 10' 3/4" PEX tubing, 2 - 3/4" x 2" brass nipples, 1 - 3/4" PEX hose X hose coupling

There is a carpet covered wood panel that covers this up that needs to be installed yet. I left it off of so you could see installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1U6v39uUQ+S6Xdhjrzv2TQ.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	210533   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZIPPQ+MbRWieJ7N3q0VycA.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	210534  

Click image for larger version

Name:	%BR4X1+BTlWJ8V0rAQxn3w.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	210535   Click image for larger version

Name:	PyGmvWuvRD6s4MXzo%vfkA.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	210536  

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I purchased the largest water softener that would fit in between my Oasis boiler and Oasis distribution panel. It produces 16 Gains water. I used 3/4" Sharkbite hose adapters for easy removal if required down the road. I drilled two one inch holes to access wet bay. The 3/4" Sharkbite hose goes to from the hose reel via PEX to the water softener to Sharkbite 3/4" hoses in and out of water softener via PEX and then reused the 3/4" Sharkbite check valve and a PEX to hose adapter back into the existing braided 3/4" Nylon hose.

Parts list:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Vendor will give you free shipping if you ask for it.

Lowes: 10' 3/4" PEX tubing, 2 - 3/4" x 2" brass nipples, 1 - 3/4" PEX hose X hose coupling

There is a carpet covered wood panel that covers this up that needs to be installed yet. I left it off of so you could see installation.

How do you plan to regenerate?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

Parts list:

I'm impressed and would like to do something like this but the unit needing to be removed every few weeks to re charge has stopped me. How often will you need to recharge and how easy is it to remove to do so?
I have left my 18 grain unit outside because of this need to access.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
You timing is perfect for this thread. I was just looking into adding a water softener and a second water filter.

Did you take the face plate off in the wetbay? I was think to place it somewhere that you can get to it for regeneration or when in an area with hard water hook it up to fill the tank and then just use the fresh water tank.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Regeneration is easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
How do you plan to regenerate?

The manufacture told me to use this method: I have a large whole house water filter that has a dip tube installed instead of a filter. The housing will be filled with 4 pounds of table salt and then run for an hour or so at a low flow rate to complete the regeneration.

In the event I need to service the resin the Sharkbite 3/4" hoses disconnect quickly and then I can slide the unit out.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
The manufacture told me to use this method: I have a large whole house water filter that has a dip tube installed instead of a filter. The housing will be filled with 4 pounds of table salt and then run for an hour or so at a low flow rate to complete the regeneration.
Don't you have to provide a place for the 'regeneration water' to go other than your fresh water tank? Don't get me wrong. I'll be following this thread closely because this is a very common need for RV'ers, and the potential for high impact for all is great. You've actually identified a key element - where to put the darn tank in a vehicle where space is hugely at a premium. Just have to figure out the plumbing...
Old 07-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
You timing is perfect for this thread. I was just looking into adding a water softener and a second water filter.

Did you take the face plate off in the wetbay? I was think to place it somewhere that you can get to it for regeneration or when in an area with hard water hook it up to fill the tank and then just use the fresh water tank.

My unit uses the external method of regeneration. The pictures above are the actual installation. (No pictures of regen water filter)

I use two water filters on my coach. The OEM unit installed by Newmar and primary unit that is at the water facet.

Primary filter is 5 micron and also use for regen. OEM house filter is 1 micron.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Don't you have to provide a place for the 'regeneration water' to go other than your fresh water tank? Don't get me wrong. I'll be following this thread closely because this is a very common need for RV'ers, and the potential for high impact for all is great. You've actually identified a key element - where to put the darn tank in a vehicle where space is hugely at a premium. Just have to figure out the plumbing...

Regen water would never enter my fresh water tank.

The regen is done with shore water and passes right through the bathroom sink and down the drain through the grey and down the sewer. After an hour or so of slow flow I check water for saltiness, and it's done. Pretty painless.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #9

Quote:
The regen is done with shore water and passes right through the bathroom sink and down the drain through the grey and down the sewer. After an hour or so of slow flow I check water for saltiness, and it's done. Pretty painless.

Nice. That’s way simpler than I had envisioned. Guess the only danger is the chance to over run your gray tank capacity, and if your hooked up to sewer, just open ‘er up and rip. With additional connections and valving, there’s always the risk of leaks.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Nice. That’s way simpler than I had envisioned. Guess the only danger is the chance to over run your gray tank capacity, and if your hooked up to sewer, just open ‘er up and rip. With additional connections and valving, there’s always the risk of leaks.

I agree, KISS method.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Really nice job!
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:

In the event I need to service the resin the Sharkbite 3/4" hoses disconnect quickly and then I can slide the unit out.

Thanks.

Can all water softeners be regenerated that way?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Thanks.

Can all water softeners be regenerated that way?

Most of the manual regeneration type softeners where you physically add salt yourself can use this method. The softener does not care where you introduce the salt water, what matters is salt water contact time with the resin at a high salinity. This is a great method for people like us that have limit installation options.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Most of the manual regeneration type softeners where you physically add salt yourself can use this method. The softener does not care where you introduce the salt water, what matters is salt water contact time with the resin at a high salinity. This is a great method for people like us that have limit installation options.

So you just add salt to the primary (external) filter without the filter element and run low flow water for a while w the sink on and that recharges the softener? Looking at options for filtration for my coach without too much mod and this seems very easy to do...
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, water