Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Water softeners

Anyone install a water softener and if so where did you install it. Is there an option and or special from Newmar for a factory install.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Installing a water softener in a motorhome is very difficult because of the charging supply needed and the brine drain lines. The only softeners I have used are the portable systems installed outside in the water supply line.
If it were me, I would be looking at something along the line of an On The Go Portable Water Softener.
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #3

I agree, all of the ones I have ever seen were placed outside by the water hookups.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

I also use the On The Go water softener but I got the 16,000 that is a lot bigger than this one 2X. If I had it to do over, this is the one I would get. I use all brass quick connection to make life EZ. Mine sets on the ground next to my inline filter.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Wa...rdsoftener.htm
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #5

Although more work to install, we opted for a unit that regenerates on its own. Easy to maintain, no flushing, salt, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3228.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	236204
Old 02-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Although more work to install, we opted for a unit that regenerates on its own. Easy to maintain, no flushing, salt, etc.
Attachment 236204
Where did you get this softener? What band?

thanks, ken
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk02 View Post
Where did you get this softener? What band?

thanks, ken

Ken, The unit is from 602abcwater. You can get it from the factory or on Amazon. Features a Fleck digital control and is made here in the U.S.
We’re staying in the desert and it regenerates about every ten days. Great technical support from the factory. One thing I added is a check valve for the brine discharge. The brine runs into the gray tank. Just in case my gray water was full, I don’t want it running back to the softener.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCwaters-Com...s%2C203&sr=8-6
Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for that information. Looks like what I want.

ken
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:56 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Believe there have been posts on the Entegra site regarding onboard water softeners. I recall that nirvc has installed some.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Ken, The unit is from 602abcwater. You can get it from the factory or on Amazon. Features a Fleck digital control and is made here in the U.S.
We’re staying in the desert and it regenerates about every ten days. Great technical support from the factory. One thing I added is a check valve for the brine discharge. The brine runs into the gray tank. Just in case my gray water was full, I don’t want it running back to the softener.

https://www.amazon.com/ABCwaters-Com...s%2C203&sr=8-6
Very nice setup! I'm assuming it's permanently installed and not taken out when parked? Seems to me the way I'd like to set ours up. Did you install it and if yes, how difficult is it to do? Which bay or where in the DS did you install it? How did you plumb it to drain into your grey tank (the check valve is a great idea)? What did you use to secure it to your rig? Hopefully getting our DS this fall. Thanks in advance!
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

I did a permanent install of a residential softener in the bay opposite the Oasis unit. This has been my favorite improvement as the water is so hard out here a Regen is needed every couple days and now that is automatic. Pictures here:
https://goo.gl/photos/Lz8XMgH7CUuGBuZVA
Old 03-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncnavy2000 View Post
I did a permanent install of a residential softener in the bay opposite the Oasis unit. This has been my favorite improvement as the water is so hard out here a Regen is needed every couple days and now that is automatic. Pictures here:
https://goo.gl/photos/Lz8XMgH7CUuGBuZVA

Very nice setup, so this unit it’s all in one? And discharges at the gray tank right? Did you installed your self or had someone do it for you? Could you kindly go over how the hookups it’s setup? Thanks

Zzotte
Old 03-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Very nice setup, so this unit it’s all in one? And discharges at the gray tank right? Did you installed your self or had someone do it for you? Could you kindly go over how the hookups it’s setup? Thanks

Zzotte
Yes, that softener is an all in one unit which nicely fits inside this bay. There is also 110 power right there as well. I ran the discharge into the gray tank, which was pretty easy as the half bath is directly above and there is already a lot of plumbing going up from the basement right here. I did fabricate that copper tubing (with a p trap) in one of the last photos that goes into an easily accessible drain line below the half bath sink.
The other piece was intercepting the water right after the filter in the wet bay, running it across to the softener, then back again. This too wasn't that difficult as there was pretty good access between the chassis rails and the floor insulation to get the line there and back. I did do this project myself, about a day and a half worth of work.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #14

Uncnavy2000, thanks for the explanation it’s very very nice unfortunately I don’t have 110 access with continues power near by I have to check and see where It could be pulled from, I’m curious if feeding 12v directly and bypassing the transformer would work.

Zzotte

Tags
water