Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

Water Stopped Working

Hello. My water stopped working on my 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3953. When I turn the pump on, I see the green light on pump switch and I even hear it turn on but I only get a very slight trickle. Tank is full and I'm even connected to city water supply.

Another strange thing. When I connect and turn on city water, the water flows free from the tank overfill relief. It just runs out as if I'm filling tank, but the tank filll switch is to "off" position. So strange. Makes me think the tank full switch broken.

I read an older post where someone was saying could be a pump controller issue. I found the pump controller and see that the light comes on at the controller when pump switch on. I'm thinking if light comes on controller this means it works, but maybe not(?). It's as if a valve is shut but I just can't figure out what it is. I'm a newbie and I keep thinking I'm overlooking king something obvious.

Mathisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a filter screen there on the pump...and aerators on you faucets,,,maybe some junk has built up to block the flow....

Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Thanks for suggestion. Where is the pump generally located? And does city water connection go through pump (or is pump just for tank water)?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathisw View Post
Thanks for suggestion. Where is the pump generally located? And does city water connection go through pump (or is pump just for tank water)?
Mine is in the wet bay...mounted behind the panel to the forward bulkhead. The Water Pump Controller is mounted on the same bulkhead,

The City Water connection usually goes thru the Filter canister...then to a two way valve...which either directs the water to the house lines...or directs water into the fresh water tank in the FILL position. The house lines have check valves...such that the City Water connection and Water Pump output come together to supply the house lines...but the check valves prevent back flow. The pump will use tank water just as you said.

The water overflow from the vent could be a couple of things. The two-way ball valve handle is mislabeled (not likely)...or the water is coming from the City Water connection toward the house lines,,,,and where it tees into the pressure supply line from the pump...it is bypassing a faulty check valve to reverse flow thru your pump...back into the tank...and out the overflow. It's hard to get a read on the overflow...since a lot of them continue to siphon water from the tank...once water starts flowing.

If your system functioned properly before...I have to assume that a pump wasn't installed backwards...

So let's run down the list.

Start with No City Water connection
Check the Fill Valve is not in the fill position
Check the Low Side Drains are in the normal closed position
Check the winterization valves are in the correct position
Turn on the water pump switch...look for green light.
With all taps closed...the pump should cycle long enough to build water pressure to the cutout point.
Use the outdoor shower to open flow of water,,,pump should run as necessary to keep water flowing thru the showerhead.

Hopefully...it will work...if water is coming out of the City Water connection while the pump is running...you have a bad check valve,,,allowing the pump output to back flow thru the water filter and out the City Water connection side.

Now with pump off...City Water on...two-way valve NOT in FILL position...water should work normally in coach...if it still fills the tank...turn off the City Water at the source...,wait for overflow to stop...place valve in FILL...and turn supply back on. If water doesn't overflow...with FILL on...and a full tank..,check to see if water is running in the coach properly. The FILL handle might have gotten indexed incorrectly... If it starts an overflow in either valve position...the water could be bypassing the water pump output check valve...

We'll find it eventually...a simple explanation.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good post Charlie will keep you in mind for my replacement in the future.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Good post Charlie will keep you in mind for my replacement in the future.

"007"... your careful selection and archiving of
upgrades, fixes, troubleshooting ideas is such an immense knowledgebase of rv technical information... I'd say, in a word, you're irreplaceable.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Mathisw, when mine did that it turned out to be the valve that controls the water selection between using the tank & pump and using city water.
The valve was bad and letting water get past and either dripping out, or going into the city water hose if it was hooked up.
In either case it was preventing the pump from getting up to full pressure and the results inside were just a trickle of water out of any faucet.

Because I didn't have time to dismantle the wet bay and then the plumbing to replace that valve, I just went to Lowes and bought a plug that screws into where the city water hose connects.
That allows the pump to reach full pressure and water once again flows out the faucets as it should.
And I can remove the plug if I want to use city water. (Which I never do, I always use the water from my tank. And since my RV has a gravity fill I never even connect a hose to this connector.)_
Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

This Forum is wonderful. I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. For troubleshooting I tried:
City water off, fill vallve off and on (both) - pump on
City water on, fill valve off and on (both) - in past, fill valve off worked
(strange that if city water on, the tank fills no matter what position fill valve is in...this has to be a clue).
Took off water filter and inspected, replaced.

It just seems a valve is not working or something. Anyway, as it happened, I was due for some other maintenance/ repairs and took the coach in. The water issue was added to repair list. I sure wish I could have figured it out. But thank you all so much for suggestions and advice. Once they tell me what the problem was I will share.

Thanks,
Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Mathisw, when mine did that it turned out to be the valve that controls the water selection between using the tank & pump and using city water.
The valve was bad and letting water get past and either dripping out, or going into the city water hose if it was hooked up.
In either case it was preventing the pump from getting up to full pressure and the results inside were just a trickle of water out of any faucet.

Because I didn't have time to dismantle the wet bay and then the plumbing to replace that valve, I just went to Lowes and bought a plug that screws into where the city water hose connects.
That allows the pump to reach full pressure and water once again flows out the faucets as it should.
And I can remove the plug if I want to use city water. (Which I never do, I always use the water from my tank. And since my RV has a gravity fill I never even connect a hose to this connector.)_
Update - I took for service and they determined the issue was the valve for City vs. Fill. The valve failed and they are replacing. Podivin - sounds like same issue you had! They told me the stock valve is a plastic part and they are replacing with a brass part, more durable (same as they have on higher end models they say). I was suspect about the valve since water was spilling to ground from tank overfill hose (while set to City). I guess if valve was stuck in Fill position it must have led to no pressure in line so that's why no water in coach. Just guessing. Anyway, so glad to know what the issue was and glad it's being fixed.

Tags
water