RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Member
 
jnowell's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 69
Water storage

Quick question. Just filled by fresh water tank and hit the road. Got to first fuel stop and noticed I lost all my water reserve. Thoughts.
__________________

__________________
John, Monica & Diesel
2014 Mountain Aire 4364 w/2008 Jeep
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
WoodyS's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 421
The tank drain is probably open! Make sure the tank drain is closed.

The next time you fill the tank, look under the coach and see if you can see water dripping out.

I don't know where your fresh water tank drain is located, but on my 2008 KSDP, it's rather close to the wet compartment and I can see it draining out. If the pump is off, it doesn't drain all that fast. But if the pump is ON, a full tank will drain in maybe 20 minutes.
__________________

__________________
Woody & Sandy
2003 Chinook Cascade
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Member
 
jnowell's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 69
Any ideas where this drain closure is on a 2014 MT Aire? When I finish refilling does it go back on city supply?
__________________
John, Monica & Diesel
2014 Mountain Aire 4364 w/2008 Jeep
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Member
 
jnowell's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 69
Found the drain and checked it. Put a little more water in and we will see what happens. Thank you for your guidance
__________________
John, Monica & Diesel
2014 Mountain Aire 4364 w/2008 Jeep
jnowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
WoodyS's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowell View Post
Any ideas where this drain closure is on a 2014 MT Aire? When I finish refilling does it go back on city supply?
I'm sure your system is a little different than mine. Mine is older and a lower-grade Newmar. I'm sure you have a lot more automatic and electric stuff than I have.

On my coach, there's a long lever labeled "Fresh Water Tank Fill." When it's pointing to the right -- it's on City Water. When this lever points to the left, it fills the coach's fresh water tank. And mine even says under that, "Open valve to fill tank, shut off when full." So on my coach, I flip the lever to the left to fill the fresh water tank, and when it's full, I flip the same lever back to the right for city water. And that's where it stays until I need to fill the tank again.

Regarding drains. On the bottom left of my wet bay, there's a large label that says "Low Point Drains." Just above that are two short black levers. The one on the left says HOT, and there's an open label at the top (12:00 position), and a closed label on the right at the 3:00 position. And to the right of the HOT drain is the COLD drain. And it has similar open and closed labels.

Most of the time both of these will be CLOSED -- the levers pointing to the right -- at the 3:00 position. You only open them to drain the main fresh water tank and the hot water heater's tank. Then you close them back up.

But as I said, my coach is older than yours and simpler. You might have electric remote controlled valves. But you have to have something similar -- even if it's electric.
__________________
Woody & Sandy
2003 Chinook Cascade
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
PPCPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I'm sure your system is a little different than mine. Mine is older and a lower-grade Newmar. I'm sure you have a lot more automatic and electric stuff than I have.

On my coach, there's a long lever labeled "Fresh Water Tank Fill." When it's pointing to the right -- it's on City Water. When this lever points to the left, it fills the coach's fresh water tank. And mine even says under that, "Open valve to fill tank, shut off when full." So on my coach, I flip the lever to the left to fill the fresh water tank, and when it's full, I flip the same lever back to the right for city water. And that's where it stays until I need to fill the tank again.

Regarding drains. On the bottom left of my wet bay, there's a large label that says "Low Point Drains." Just above that are two short black levers. The one on the left says HOT, and there's an open label at the top (12:00 position), and a closed label on the right at the 3:00 position. And to the right of the HOT drain is the COLD drain. And it has similar open and closed labels.

Most of the time both of these will be CLOSED -- the levers pointing to the right -- at the 3:00 position. You only open them to drain the main fresh water tank and the hot water heater's tank. Then you close them back up.

But as I said, my coach is older than yours and simpler. You might have electric remote controlled valves. But you have to have something similar -- even if it's electric.
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves? I needed to drain my tank and refresh my water a couple of weeks ago and that was the only way I could get water running out of the low drain points! I thought it would free flow but it did not. This coach is put together better but different from any others that I have owned!
__________________
2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 4093
Cummins 350HP, Spartan chassis
PPCPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 35,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves? I needed to drain my tank and refresh my water a couple of weeks ago and that was the only way I could get water running out of the low drain points! I thought it would free flow but it did not. This coach is put together better but different from any others that I have owned!
No, just open the drain valve or at least that's how it worked on the two DSDP's we've owned.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 Jeep JKU
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,297
More than likely the water tank overflow is siphoning water out of the tank when filling to near the tank's capacity. Look for posts in this subforum about how to re-plumb the overflow.
__________________
'04 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016
400ISL/Freightliner
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
WoodyS's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves?
As I recall (almost two months ago), when I opened the drain, water did come out, but dribbled slowly. When I turned the pump on it came out a lot faster!

My Chinook is the same way. Turning the pump on really speeds it up. And my guess is that's why Newmar put a water pump ON/OFF switch in the wet bay in the first place -- to speed up draining the tanks.
__________________

__________________
Woody & Sandy
2003 Chinook Cascade
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
storage, water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Outdoor Storage with ADCO cover or Covered Storage? BlueThunder4 Class A Motorhome Discussions 11 06-30-2018 11:18 PM
Indoor winter storage and sub letting storage bay? Unicorn Driver iRV2.com General Discussion 9 06-21-2018 08:57 PM
Trailer in storage and prepping for storage Joeymozzer Travel Trailer Discussion 9 05-27-2015 07:18 PM
Storage bins in storage compartments? Full.Monte MH-General Discussions & Problems 10 01-01-2015 02:55 PM
Itasca Sunova - Filling Fresh Water and Sewer Hose Storage bccsrc Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 05-13-2007 05:57 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.