RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water storage

Quick question. Just filled by fresh water tank and hit the road. Got to first fuel stop and noticed I lost all my water reserve. Thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

The tank drain is probably open! Make sure the tank drain is closed.

The next time you fill the tank, look under the coach and see if you can see water dripping out.

I don't know where your fresh water tank drain is located, but on my 2008 KSDP, it's rather close to the wet compartment and I can see it draining out. If the pump is off, it doesn't drain all that fast. But if the pump is ON, a full tank will drain in maybe 20 minutes.

WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Any ideas where this drain closure is on a 2014 MT Aire? When I finish refilling does it go back on city supply?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Found the drain and checked it. Put a little more water in and we will see what happens. Thank you for your guidance
Old 08-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnowell View Post
Any ideas where this drain closure is on a 2014 MT Aire? When I finish refilling does it go back on city supply?
I'm sure your system is a little different than mine. Mine is older and a lower-grade Newmar. I'm sure you have a lot more automatic and electric stuff than I have.

On my coach, there's a long lever labeled "Fresh Water Tank Fill." When it's pointing to the right -- it's on City Water. When this lever points to the left, it fills the coach's fresh water tank. And mine even says under that, "Open valve to fill tank, shut off when full." So on my coach, I flip the lever to the left to fill the fresh water tank, and when it's full, I flip the same lever back to the right for city water. And that's where it stays until I need to fill the tank again.

Regarding drains. On the bottom left of my wet bay, there's a large label that says "Low Point Drains." Just above that are two short black levers. The one on the left says HOT, and there's an open label at the top (12:00 position), and a closed label on the right at the 3:00 position. And to the right of the HOT drain is the COLD drain. And it has similar open and closed labels.

Most of the time both of these will be CLOSED -- the levers pointing to the right -- at the 3:00 position. You only open them to drain the main fresh water tank and the hot water heater's tank. Then you close them back up.

But as I said, my coach is older than yours and simpler. You might have electric remote controlled valves. But you have to have something similar -- even if it's electric.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I'm sure your system is a little different than mine. Mine is older and a lower-grade Newmar. I'm sure you have a lot more automatic and electric stuff than I have.

On my coach, there's a long lever labeled "Fresh Water Tank Fill." When it's pointing to the right -- it's on City Water. When this lever points to the left, it fills the coach's fresh water tank. And mine even says under that, "Open valve to fill tank, shut off when full." So on my coach, I flip the lever to the left to fill the fresh water tank, and when it's full, I flip the same lever back to the right for city water. And that's where it stays until I need to fill the tank again.

Regarding drains. On the bottom left of my wet bay, there's a large label that says "Low Point Drains." Just above that are two short black levers. The one on the left says HOT, and there's an open label at the top (12:00 position), and a closed label on the right at the 3:00 position. And to the right of the HOT drain is the COLD drain. And it has similar open and closed labels.

Most of the time both of these will be CLOSED -- the levers pointing to the right -- at the 3:00 position. You only open them to drain the main fresh water tank and the hot water heater's tank. Then you close them back up.

But as I said, my coach is older than yours and simpler. You might have electric remote controlled valves. But you have to have something similar -- even if it's electric.
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves? I needed to drain my tank and refresh my water a couple of weeks ago and that was the only way I could get water running out of the low drain points! I thought it would free flow but it did not. This coach is put together better but different from any others that I have owned!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves? I needed to drain my tank and refresh my water a couple of weeks ago and that was the only way I could get water running out of the low drain points! I thought it would free flow but it did not. This coach is put together better but different from any others that I have owned!
No, just open the drain valve or at least that's how it worked on the two DSDP's we've owned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

More than likely the water tank overflow is siphoning water out of the tank when filling to near the tank's capacity. Look for posts in this subforum about how to re-plumb the overflow.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCPilot View Post
Do you need to run your water pump to drain the tank at the low point valves?
As I recall (almost two months ago), when I opened the drain, water did come out, but dribbled slowly. When I turned the pump on it came out a lot faster!

My Chinook is the same way. Turning the pump on really speeds it up. And my guess is that's why Newmar put a water pump ON/OFF switch in the wet bay in the first place -- to speed up draining the tanks.

Tags
storage, water