Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #1

Watts brass replacement for black tank vacuum break valve

Found my vacuum break valve under the vanity has been leaking a bit. Found the below brass vacuum break valve. Wondering if anyone has used this as a replacement. It is also rebuildable.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Technol...ZCJ05ESXB7KA93
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Following
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Personal opinion as I just went down this rabbit hole. While the Watts is a great unit if you check your installed back flow you will find that it has a spring loaded seal on the out flow side that stays closed unless there is flow pressure against it from incoming water flow. This spring valve seals it so that you don't get the smell from the black tank in the coach.

The Watts will seal with a back flow condition but the valve just sits there not sealing against black gas.

There have been at least two type of backflips. One is a round, clear one from Camco. The other a black somewhat square unit from J&R or similar. When I got my new J&R to check it I simply blew into the outflow side. Old one leaked air, new one was solidly blocked. Blow into the inflow side and the valve opens.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

When mine started leak'n, I went to the man store and bought a brass double flap whole house type, cut the hose just inside the wall, installed new one, and did away with all that hose going into the vanity.....been work'n good now for 5 years and it does get used..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Personal opinion as I just went down this rabbit hole. While the Watts is a great unit if you check your installed back flow you will find that it has a spring loaded seal on the out flow side that stays closed unless there is flow pressure against it from incoming water flow. This spring valve seals it so that you don't get the smell from the black tank in the coach.

The Watts will seal with a back flow condition but the valve just sits there not sealing against black gas.

There have been at least two type of backflips. One is a round, clear one from Camco. The other a black somewhat square unit from J&R or similar. When I got my new J&R to check it I simply blew into the outflow side. Old one leaked air, new one was solidly blocked. Blow into the inflow side and the valve opens.

Thanks for the response, but not sure I completely follow. I think you are saying the Watts will stop back-flow of water but is not designed like the currently installed valve and will allow gas from the Black tank into the coach?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
When mine started leak'n, I went to the man store and bought a brass double flap whole house type, cut the hose just inside the wall, installed new one, and did away with all that hose going into the vanity.....been work'n good now for 5 years and it does get used..

Do you have more information on this valve?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Not any more....got it from Home Depot.....
Old 05-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #8

Also had to buy 2 screw in hose nipples....
Old 05-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #9

Found it where they keep house style water filters
Old 05-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

OK, after further research and looking at the clear plastic model from Valtera, you can see a check valve on the water outlet side to prevent gas coming back. I found this on an Outback forum, where the poster used the Watts 288 vacuum breaker with a check valve on the water outlet to prevent gas coming into the RV.

I used a 1/2" WATTS 288A Brass Vacuum Break Valve with a 1/2" CAMCO 23303 Brass Check Valve to replace the Plastic Vacuum Break valve that is used with the Black Tank Flush System. Good Luck.

http://www.outbackers.com/forums/upl..._1850_3421.jpg
Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

Vettenuts, correct regular Watts won’t stop the gas. Replacement J&R can be found for about $15.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Vettenuts, correct regular Watts won’t stop the gas. Replacement J&R can be found for about $15.
Thanks for pointing out the gas issue. I suspected that might be the case but couldn’t find enough information to sort it out.

I think the setup I posted in the photo above, with the additional check valve on the outlet, should resolve the gas issue. When I get home from this trip I am going to roll the dice and buy the Watts and check valve to bench test it. If it works, it should be better than the plastic ones.

Interestingly, even the Watts has a warning about installation in a location that won’t cause damage should leakage occur similar to the plastic RV specific units.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #13

Wanted to follow up for future reference. I did get the Watts LF288A vacuum breaker along with a 1/2 MPT coupler and a 1/2 Valtera check valve for the outer side (looks similar to the photo in post #10 when assembled). No black gas smell because the Valtera check valve stops it. Now just have to check for water leaks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #14

If something really goes wrong and your black tank pressurizes (it happens), you will have a flutter valve in the vacuum break between the backflow preventer and the black tank. It probably would be OK, but why not put the backflow preventer between the vacuum break and the black tank (i.e. screw the backflow preventer into the vacuum break input instead of output)?

Tags
ace, black tank, replace, replacement, tank, valve