Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #1

Watts Water Pressure Regulator

So, I’m gradually collecting all of the basic equipment we’re going to need for our coach and I finally got down the list to Water Pressure Regulator. Now I’ve been reading in these forums a quite a while now and one of the things I’ve noticed is that the Watts Water Pressure Regulator seems to be something of of a “gold standard” if you will. I’m not saying it is absolutely the best one on the market, but it does seem it is definitely the preferred solution.

Here’s the question - What’s so great about it?

I’m asking because I don’t know and want to make an informed decision regarding which one I purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It will flow a little better than the cheaper ones. Also it is adjustable.
I have ours mounted inside my wet bay, so I can't forget it.
Lots of people think it should be on the post tap, but I have yet to see campground pressure high enough to blow a normal water hose. Especially the white ones with cotton reinforcement in them.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The Watts units are good quality, adjustable, repairable and have very good flow characteristics. The last quality is quite important, IMO; you don't need any additional restriction in your water flow.

There are a few other water pressure regulators that have good flow as well, and that are a bit less expensive. The Fairview 55 from the RV Water Filter Store...

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Fixed.htm

...comes to mind. I have one, in addition to my Watts 263A, and use it occasionally. The only thing I don't care for on the Fairview is the clunky plastic sleeve they put on it as a grip. I'm going to remove the sleeve one of these days. Otherwise, it is a good unit and is pre-set (not adjustable) at 55 PSI.

I'm sure there may be some other high-flow units I'm not familiar with.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Ditto on what Unplanned said and for me it was volume of water. The others work great But they restrict volume down a lot. When I first hooked mine up my DW ask me what I finally did to get water pressure like the house.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #5

I've been using the very similar Valterra adjustable pressure regulator for many years. I have no complaints with it at all.

I bought it when a Valterra customer service person pointed out that it's the least restrictive regulator they make. The holes on each side are three to four times as large as most pressure regulators. I haven't compared my Valterra with the Watts, but I believe they're nearly identical.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the ZeroG hoses so I put mine at the tap. Blew one of them when I had it in the bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It will flow a little better than the cheaper ones. Also it is adjustable.
I have ours mounted inside my wet bay, so I can't forget it.
Lots of people think it should be on the post tap, but I have yet to see campground pressure high enough to blow a normal water hose. Especially the white ones with cotton reinforcement in them.
Happy Glamping.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Just curious, Woody, but if you haven't compared the two units, what makes you "believe they are nearly identical?"

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used the valterra for the past 5 years. Never had a problem until I lost it. Bought a new one in June and after 3 weeks it developed a leak where the frame cracked. Valterra sent me a new one, but in the meantime I purchased a Renator M11 and it is comparable to the valterra I had, just better construction.

My restrictions are due to all the fresh water lines being 3/8in. I usually run off the pump and fill the tanks.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Quality construction. Less flow restriction at pressure. Got it. Thanks all!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Just curious, Woody, but if you haven't compared the two units, what makes you "believe they are nearly identical?"

TJ
Because they look nearly identical in all ways I've been able to see. I'm not saying they are identical, they just look nearly identical. And after many years of use, my Valterra still works great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Happy Glamping.
I have been to at least two RV campgrounds that had over 100 psi. One of them had warnings all over and loaned out pressure regulators if you didn't have one.

The problem isn't blowing out a hose. The problem is blowing out part of the plumbing in your RV. And I saw the results of that at one of the high water pressure RV parks. The Bounder next to us apparently blew something in the middle of the night and the couple spent the next day bringing out soggy bedding, clothes, rugs, etc. I felt very sorry for them. But they'd been warned.

After personally experiencing two instances of over 100 psi at park faucets (and several between 70 - 90 psi), I now always use a pressure regulator of one kind or another.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a note.....the water hose installed on the Newmar coach reels is rated to 150 psi.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I have used the valterra for the past 5 years. Never had a problem until I lost it. Bought a new one in June and after 3 weeks it developed a leak where the frame cracked. Valterra sent me a new one, but in the meantime I purchased a Renator M11 and it is comparable to the valterra I had, just better construction.

My restrictions are due to all the fresh water lines being 3/8in. I usually run off the pump and fill the tanks.

Another vote for the Renator M11.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

I use the Renator as well. Has worked flawlessly so far.

Tags
water, water pressure