Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Wavy cargo doors on Kountry Star?

I looked at a 2005 Kountry Star 3910 this weekend and it looked pretty good. I noticed on both rear cargo doors that they had waves in them. I took a photo and didn't realize until later it didn't come out. Any idea what causes this and will the other doors develop this wave as well?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Beating sun and age may cause some fiberglass to warp, but it is not common.

Is it on one side or both? Can you actually feel the waves with your hand?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Yes, they are quite pronounced. It's almost like delamination, but the waves are more horizontal then vertical. Sure wished the photo had turned out. It's weird that it's only the rear doors. I'd go back and get a photo, but it's 2 hours away.

It must not be common since no one has responded with a positive "Mine too".
Old 05-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could be the previous owner over oiled the locks and oil got between the fiberglass filler and caused the ripples.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Could be the previous owner over oiled the locks and oil got between the fiberglass filler and caused the ripples.
I'm not sure. It would be a lot of oil because the waves go all the way across both doors. I'm going to eliminate this one as a potential purchase since I'm sure to fix the doors it would be quite expensive.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
It's most likely delamination. It's a bit of an issue with the cargo doors on that coach. I have two doors that show it.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
It's most likely delamination. It's a bit of an issue with the cargo doors on that coach. I have two doors that show it.
I agree with you. It's bad enough on the one I looked at that it would have to be fixed. Just weird it's only on those 2 doors and the way it runs.

Some clear coat peeling on the top (front and back). I could deal with that.

Nice MH other than that.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #8

I have the same issue on my 2005 Kountry Star gasser. I have researched fixing them and also took it to someone I trust who does Motorhome body work. His recommendation based on what he has seen was to leave it alone unless it started getting worse. I also contacted Newmar and you can buy new doors, but they are over $600 each unpainted.

The aluminum rails that surround the door panel are glued in place making removal difficult. Any correction needs to used an adhesive or epoxy that can be used on foam. The marine industry has some. I tried disassembly but didn’t get too far for fear of making things worse.

As much as mine bothers me, I have thus far followed his advice and left them alone. They have not gotten worse nor have more doors done this in the four years I have had the coach, so his advice appeared to be spot on.

I also ran into someone a few years ago in Michigan with a Kountry Star diesel who had the same issue. My opinion is that it was a manufacturing issue and some of the doors were not adequately sprayed with adhesive prior to lamination with the outer layer.

Not sure how it will affect resale, but if you like the coach you can use it as a bargaining chip on the price
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have the same issue on my 2005 Kountry Star gasser. I have researched fixing them and also took it to someone I trust who does Motorhome body work. His recommendation based on what he has seen was to leave it alone unless it started getting worse. I also contacted Newmar and you can buy new doors, but they are over $600 each unpainted.

The aluminum rails that surround the door panel are glued in place making removal difficult. Any correction needs to used an adhesive or epoxy that can be used on foam. The marine industry has some. I tried disassembly but didn’t get too far for fear of making things worse.

As much as mine bothers me, I have thus far followed his advice and left them alone. They have not gotten worse nor have more doors done this in the four years I have had the coach, so his advice appeared to be spot on.

I also ran into someone a few years ago in Michigan with a Kountry Star diesel who had the same issue. My opinion is that it was a manufacturing issue and some of the doors were not adequately sprayed with adhesive prior to lamination with the outer layer.

Not sure how it will affect resale, but if you like the coach you can use it as a bargaining chip on the price
Thanks for the info. Makes sense about the edges not being sealed.

I thought about using it as a bargaining chip and I could probably live with it for awhile. Then it would start bothering me and I'd have to do something. I'm sure it's probably one of the worse you'd see.

There is another one 3 hours away that was just repainted at the factory in 2016 and it's only $6K more. It's also the original owner. I might go see that one and see how they compare.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #10

Would be interested if you find something similar with the other coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

If I get down there to look at it I'll let you know.

Tags
door, doors