RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #1

Wavy Lines in TV

I recently had Newmar change out my analog TVs to digital in my 2004 gas Mountain Aire. I've always had very faint verticle wavy lines (like an oscilleoscope sp???) on the analog tvs, but now they are very apparent. They only show up when I'm useing Direct TV, not when I'm receiving standard broadcast signals. All power for the TV, Direct TV receiver and switch box come through a small inverter. I think my problem is related to the inverter and the direct tv receiver is getting a "dirty" signal from the inverter. Does this make sense? Is there some kind of AC Filter I can get to clean up the signal? Like I said, when I receive only broadcast / over the air channels, I don't have the problem, even when I'm still getting the power from the inverter.

Thank in advance

Jack
2004 Mountain Aire 3651

jfwandrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
How is the tv connected to the Direct TV box? I would replace that cable first. If it is coax I would try a 3 plug RCA if posible.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Small inverter" May I assume it's an MSW type?

(No, I may not assume it is an MSW type,, It's not an assumption, it IS an MSW type)

How do I know this? Experience of course.

Visit the Xantrex upport pages, for the X-Power line (MSW) and you will find a document with a title like "Things that may now work well on MSW" or some such.

Try the Prosine support pages (True sine wave) No such document.

The problem is the filters in the TV power supply are not up to smoothing out the hash from the MSW inverter... With a True Sine wave.. No hash, so no problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a problem in the past, with fluorescent lights. They send out a signal that picks up on the TV. Try turning off all the fluorescent lights.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If the symptom is isolated to Direct TV channels I'd start there. Is it possible to connect the receiver directly to 120VAC, shore power?
I wonder if your receiver is unable to filter out noise from the inverter. You didn't mention what type Satellite antenna you're using.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I contacted the company that makes the inverter and they were positive that it was the problem because it is not a true sine wave inverter. Their only solution was to change the inverter.

Jack
jfwandrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jfwandrn,
Before you go to the expense of replacing the inverter, try the cable solution mentioned in an earlier post. Before you try the cable solution, have a helper watching the TV and wiggle the cable connections that would affect Direct TV. See if anything changes. For whatever reason I've had cable connections go bad. They were not loose or corroded, but the wavy lines disappeared when the cable was replaced. It's a cheap and easy step and might save you some $s.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwandrn View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I contacted the company that makes the inverter and they were positive that it was the problem because it is not a true sine wave inverter. Their only solution was to change the inverter.

Jack
One thing, if it is the inverter, Try it on shore power to see if that "Fixes" it, THEN change the inverter.