Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #1

Speaking of waxing in lieu of covers-What do you all recommend for wax of our new first time full body paint unit(covered with factory swirls and scratches)as our 60 day BASF rcommended waiting period is nearing? We have used Mcquiers wax/cleaner(#50) for our previous gelcoat coaches/boats but think it might scratch paint?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #2

Speaking of waxing in lieu of covers-What do you all recommend for wax of our new first time full body paint unit(covered with factory swirls and scratches)as our 60 day BASF rcommended waiting period is nearing? We have used Mcquiers wax/cleaner(#50) for our previous gelcoat coaches/boats but think it might scratch paint?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:30 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dav5942:
Speaking of waxing in lieu of covers-What do you all recommend for wax of our new first time full body paint unit(covered with factory swirls and scratches)as our 60 day BASF rcommended waiting period is nearing? We have used Mcquiers wax/cleaner(#50) for our previous gelcoat coaches/boats but think it might scratch paint? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in same position and have been researching the subject with car finish pros and leaning towards these guys. Here is web link and an e-mail with one of the guys.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11575

Thank you for taking the time to send us an email. Congratulations on your new acquisition. All of our products are certainly still applicable in the exact same way with your motor home. I am glad to see that you found our Paint Sealant. Because of the long-lasting protection this product provides, it would be perfect for use with your motor home. For application, I would recommend our Machine Paint Sealant and Spray-On Wax Kit. For larger jobs like yours, the Random Orbital will cut down on the application time and allow you to better work the product in. The Spray-On Wax will yield added protection to the paint.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #4

I am in the same situation and after checking out different ways, I went with Collinite Doublecoat paste wax and a 9" buffer. About to get started in a few days...this stuff is supposed to really last a year and is easier than the Insulator wax to apply/remove according to folks in the know
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Hey....when ya'll get it figured out, I'll have another "test" coach for you to work on...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I thought I was the only one who knew about Griots Garage! I have been using their products for years, with outstanding results. The best two products to start with are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Speed Shine - for when the coach is dry.
<LI>Spray On Wax - for when the coach is wet.[/list]This is all that I have used on my signature coach. In 15 months and 19K miles is has never needed to be washed. With the above mentioned products, there is no hard rubbing or buffing. Spray it on and immediately wipe it off. Spray and wipe, spray and wipe and before you know it the coach is done. My only warning is to Never let either product dry on the vehicle. It is difficult to remove and looks terrible. I also use these products on my two cars (05 GMC and 02 Caddy). The Caddy has never been washed. The ENVOY is washed only after faithfully serving as a toad. Toads get really, really filthy. All three vehicles look showroom new. I use a bunch of Griot's Garage products. If anyone wants a recommendation on a specific products, PM me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

WOW!

Just went and looked at that site and that's really cool!

While this thread is about "RV finish care", I saw some really COOL tool storage ideas!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:33 AM   #8

Has anyone used the the waterless wash and wax products? I have seen a few people reping these products in RV parks. Their MH usually looks great, but I have never talked with them about the products. During winter storage, it is difficult to wash and wax my MA the "old fashion way" with a bucket and elbow grease.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jerry:

I've tried just about every wax, polish, nano-gizmo-super-dooper stuff made over the years on my cars, boats and now the motorhome. My current scheme (my rig has paint but lot's of gel-coated glass) is a once yearly polish with NuFinish followed by periodic (2 - 3 times) application of No Wet, which is one of the waterless cleaners/wax. I use this stuff on my cars too and am pleased with ease of use and results. Really good for making bugs more easy to remove from front of coach.

Other waterless products I tried include the BOM and DriWash, but No Wet is my favorite in terms of ease of application, cleaning ability, shine and water beading.

My rig is 5 years old and looks new.

Now, if I had the money for a MA or Essex, I'd just pay someone else to clean/polish it for me
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #10

That is precisely WHY we wax our own...at least why I do it!!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:29 AM   #11

I use the no rinse rv wash on the front of my coach to remove the bugs when we stop for the night. Works great, just towel dry. Have used it on the whole coach when unable to wash and rinse due to camp ground restrictions. I use turtle wax spray and wipe wax between real wax jobs to keep the shine and remove any water spots after wash.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went with Collinite Doublecoat paste wax and a 9" buffer. About to get started in a few days...this stuff is supposed to really last a year and is easier than the Insulator wax to apply/remove according to folks in the know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

footdoc, I can personally attest to the fact that Insulator wax is the best I've ever found, and besides being easy to use/rub off, it lasts so much longer than other waxes... -I'd be interested in your feedback about the Collinite Doublecoat, because for my money, the Insulator wax will be hard to beat.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I went with Collinite Doublecoat paste wax and a 9" buffer. About to get started in a few days...this stuff is supposed to really last a year and is easier than the Insulator wax to apply/remove according to folks in the know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

footdoc, I can personally attest to the fact that Insulator wax is the best I've ever found, and besides being easy to use/rub off, it lasts so much longer than other waxes... -I'd be interested in your feedback about the Collinite Doublecoat, because for my money, the Insulator wax will be hard to beat.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been trolling a number of forums looking for assessments of polishes and waxes. One seeminly knowledgeable person stated that Doublecoat was best if concerned about UV radiation and Insulator if concerned anout winter elements.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 AM   #14

ecker, I do not know if Insulator wax is better (regarding Winter protection).
I just looked at Collinite's web site
Collinite Waxes
and it sounds like the DoubleCoat might be the cat's meow now...

I can say this: I wax the roof and sides of my coach twice a year; -once around May, and again around Labor Day. I wash the coach (with detergent soap to cut bugs, tar, and tree sap) about 4 times a year. The Insulator wax really lasts a long time and the rinse water still beads up even 4 or 5 months after waxing.
My Winnie has a slightly crowned fiberglass roof... I learned that it is downright dangerous to try washing the roof if you're standing up and using a extension pole mop. The roof is so slick from the wax job that I can only wash it when I'm on my hands and knees (and even then, there's times I have to hang onto a vent lid or A/C cover so I don't slide off the slope!!!).