Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #1

We may have found THE ONE!

We're making about a 500 mile drive on Monday to see what may be OUR Ventana!

It's an all electric 2011 3433 with under 15,000 miles. It was used a few times last year and has been driven short distances this summer but it's still winterized. It's been garaged it's entire life.

I know crystal balls are hard to come by but are there any special things we should check that would give us an idea of it's condition?

It has a W/D but the owner hasn't used the washer in the few months they've owned it. They are the 3rd owners which sounds like a lot but a change of mind to something larger was what caused the original owners to sell, medical issues for the 2nd and a death in the family for the current owner are the reasons. Would not using the washer for a year or more cause gaskets & hoses to deteriorate?

It has the hydronic heating system. The owner says there is no propane on board so does that mean it uses diesel?

The 8 house batteries have just been replaced. The step motor was replaced and the freon topped off. Is the freon problem common? We had our dash A/C checked last year and while there were no leaks, it needed freon. Roof air is COLD COLD COLD though.

The owner seems very up front and honest about everything even if unsure about details on some systems. All manuals & records are with it.

I've read everything I can find about Newmar & especially the Ventana and there are VERY FEW complaints about anything. I know it's human nature to gripe more than praise so I feel if there were major problems, someone would be typing away on the various forums.

Any information would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We're making about a 500 mile drive on Monday to see what may be OUR Ventana!

It's an all electric 2011 3433 with under 15,000 miles. It was used a few times last year and has been driven short distances this summer but it's still winterized. It's been garaged it's entire life.

I know crystal balls are hard to come by but are there any special things we should check that would give us an idea of it's condition?

It has a W/D but the owner hasn't used the washer in the few months they've owned it. They are the 3rd owners which sounds like a lot but a change of mind to something larger was what caused the original owners to sell, medical issues for the 2nd and a death in the family for the current owner are the reasons. Would not using the washer for a year or more cause gaskets & hoses to deteriorate?

It has the hydronic heating system. The owner says there is no propane on board so does that mean it uses diesel?

The 8 house batteries have just been replaced. The step motor was replaced and the freon topped off. Is the freon problem common? We had our dash A/C checked last year and while there were no leaks, it needed freon. Roof air is COLD COLD COLD though.

The owner seems very up front and honest about everything even if unsure about details on some systems. All manuals & records are with it.

I've read everything I can find about Newmar & especially the Ventana and there are VERY FEW complaints about anything. I know it's human nature to gripe more than praise so I feel if there were major problems, someone would be typing away on the various forums.

Any information would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Congrats!!

Sounds like a very fun journey is beginning for you!!

Run EVERYTHING including the W/D I don't think that sitting has hurt them.

Depending on distance, finances, and available time, I think a trip to the factory to have them go through it once you have bought it is a good idea. They not only check the things on your list, they also check anything else that has been problematic with your model.

Please keep us posted and of course, we will want to see pics!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FIRST...May this coach be the one you hope it to be. It has to be exciting!!!

I don't think you will see any issues with lack of use of the W/D. The only thing you will want to do is make sure there is water in the P-trap to avoid any odor from your grey tank coming through it into the coach. Not a big deal. Certainly it would be smart to run the W/D to verify it works and then that will get water into the trap.

What chassis is this one on? I'm thinking it might be FL. I'm asking that in context of the AC freon question. I'm currently at the Spartan plant for my annual service and this is the second year in a row that they will be replacing the AC hose from the back of the coach up to the dash. There seems to be some quality control issues with the provider of those hoses. They sometimes seem to develop a leak where the ends are crimped onto the hose. That seems to occur mostly at the compressor end back in the engine compartment from what I have heard.

From your avatar it looks like this isn't your first rodeo. Still...have you given thought to having an independent RV mechanic evaluate the coach? Also, consider having all fluids (generator and engine) analyzed. I have used Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service and been very pleased.

GOOD LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

We've already talked about taking it to the factory to have them check it out. We're only about 4 hours from Nappanee so that is easily doable if we can get an appointment.

We're on our 4th year with a Georgetown gasser but this is our first diesel and first all electric. It is on the FL chassis so that may be the issue with the A/C. I'll pass on the info about the analysis kit to my DH. We've had diesel tractors and he is familiar with CAT machinery since he retired from CAT dealer. This coach had maintenance done last August at a Cummins facility then wasn't used much after that. I've not had much luck finding an inspector in the area.

I'm trying not to think of it as our coach yet but it seems to be everything we're looking for. I hope I haven't jinxed us.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We've already talked about taking it to the factory to have them check it out. We're only about 4 hours from Nappanee so that is easily doable if we can get an appointment.

We're on our 4th year with a Georgetown gasser but this is our first diesel and first all electric. It is on the FL chassis so that may be the issue with the A/C. I'll pass on the info about the analysis kit to my DH. We've had diesel tractors and he is familiar with CAT machinery since he retired from CAT dealer. This coach had maintenance done last August at a Cummins facility then wasn't used much after that. I've not had much luck finding an inspector in the area.

I'm trying not to think of it as our coach yet but it seems to be everything we're looking for. I hope I haven't jinxed us.

Thanks for the suggestions!
If it has been serviced at a Cummins facility in the past then Cummins should be able to provide a record of any repairs or service through any Cummins facility. They shoukld be able to run the serial # and pull up the records. If so this would good to have going forward.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a dream come true. Even though it only has 15k miles just check for any ripples or bulges on the side of the tires. The only other item I can think of would be batteries but those are already taken care of. Crank the generator if it has one. With the condition reported and since it has been well kept this sounds like a winner. Congrats and if you do purchase it post some pics. Again congrats, the Ventana is a great choice.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Look carefully in the storage bays for any signs of water stains especially around the water tanks. Also look at all the ceiling seams for a thin line of mildew (black and bumpy) as this will indicate roof leaks. That's how I discovered the skylight leak in our bathroom. Also look under all sinks cabinets for water staining, again indicating a past leak.

As far as engine /transmission go, you should still be under the Cummins and Allison 5 year warranty.

Hope you enjoy your new RV as much as we do!!!
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the tips! I don't know that I would have thought to look for water damage.

I have solved one mystery! This coach has a GE residential refer and that is part of an option package which includes a 2 burner cooktop which this coach has & 4 extra batteries which gives the coach 8 house batteries. Listed along with those options is a 2800 PSW inverter AND hydronic diesel heat.

I'd been trying to figure out what the fuel source was for the hydronic heating system and what type of inverter. I think I've read that the PSW is safer for electronics?

DH uses a cPAP. Will it be safe just to plug it into a wall outlet at night?

I'd also wondered about having a crock pot on while we're on the road. It'd be nice to have a good part of the meal preparation done when we stop for the night. Is that something that can be done safely? I was thinking of putting the crock pot in the sink so it woudn't get tossed off the counter.

Here I go again...typing like it's already ours. UGH. I need to stop that!

But another burning (not a good word choice) question on my mind is the ice maker. Does it draw water from the fresh water tank or is it only from city water or either?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well congrats and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
Here is the Brochure which will have options and a Owners Guide so you have some idea how things will work.
An all electric would have no LP in this case and heat would be a diesel burner.
The Freon question maybe answered in this thread, what you need to do is clamp a heater hose with vise grip pliers near the Evans AC/Heater unit and see if the dash cooling improves.
As is pointed out in the thread link the heater hoses get installed in reverse and the Evans heater control fails and does not shut off the hot water through the AC/Heater unit and the AC can not over come the heated water.
Here is a PDI List so you can keep track of systems as you check them out.
Your trip to Newmar is a good idea Jan to March they have 15% discount on labor.
You may need this info the party selling may not know about all the systems.
If you have been following the forum in my signature below the QT's links will have much more info for your Newmar.
The cPAP and crock pot I would have them plugged into 110 outlets not going through your inverter and not off a GFI outlet Newmar could probably set that up for you if need be, there should be some spare circuits in your load center.
So good luck in your quest hope everything works out for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #10

Thanks "007"! Those links will help answer a lot of questions.

I really hope DH & I will be bonafied Newmar owners soon.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hope the coach is everything you are looking for.
We have been very happy with our Ventana but "yours" has some options that I would love to have (hydronic heat and all electric.
Good luck,
Jeff
Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Eyb

We are also looking for a ventana - how did you find this unit
Thanks
Eyb
Eyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

If you want to use the crock pot while driving you'll have to plug it into an outlet that runs off the inverter. My DW does it often. She does sit it down in the sink like you plan to do.

The ice maker does draw water from the fresh water tank if the pump is turned on. Or it gets its water from the city hook-up when hooked to campground.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #14

Eyb,

I've spent the better part of 6 months deciding what "we" wanted. I researched (and still am researching) the various options and I asked the great members of iRV2 a lot of questions. I can't tell you the number of hours spent looking at all of the online RV sale sites, dealer sites & classifieds on forums. At the suggestion of an iRV2 member, I contacted several dealers and asked that we be contacted if the unit we wanted came in. Another member even searched some dealer lots and inquired about units for us. AND... don't forget that Google is your friend.

It was just luck that I found this one. It is the model we wanted, the year we wanted and has way more options than we thought we needed or wanted but now I'm SURE I need all of them and I definitely want them. Then, I just had to wait till DH decided it was his idea.

Good luck with your search!