Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #15

Thanks for all the constructive comments and links.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
I'm talking about doing the speed limit down the highway.
-TJ
TJ thank you for your response and making my point.

Maybe you should not be driving the speed limit. It is not a car, it is not a weapon. You are old enough to know better.

When I was your age (waited a long to say that), I did tow at the speed limit. It was 55 mph. That is the speed you should be driving driving a MH unless conditions permit.

You should limit yourself to 65 if you are on divided highway or there is no traffic.

My last panic stop was in Idaho. I was going 65 mph and the limit was 75. I was slowing down for traffic when things go ugly fast. I thought we were not going to make it and was deciding the best way to leave the road. Fortunately a lane opened and I was not going to hit anyone.

Checking the mirrors, I saw white smoke coming from the jackknifing gasoline tanker that was going to hit us.

So TJ I was going for the open lane even if '67 Camaro was there.

Got the picture!

Cars can stop faster than a MH. MH can stop faster than a Semi.

My '65 Impala rag top, my second car, had great head lights better than my MH. So what?

My MH headlights get the job done. If yours do not you have the responsibility to report the safety hazard to the NTSB.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #17

Weak headlights? What upgrades have you done?

I put in some LEDS on my 2018 DS. big difference. The headlights run as DRL So they are on all That time. I also swapped out my turn signal bulbs and put in switchback LEDs that are white when the lights are on and turn Amber when I put on the directional signal. The highbeams also received the LED treatment and I have been super happy with the results. While we don’t do much night driving we do start trips early in the morning while the kids are still sleeping. I too am 36 years old.

The whole front on my coach including the LED strips underneath the headlights all match color temperature and looks really good. The only thing I have not figured out is how to swap out the fog lights for LEDs yet.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I put in some LEDS on my 2018 DS. big difference. The headlights run as DRL So they are on all That time. I also swapped out my turn signal bulbs and put in switchback LEDs that are white when the lights are on and turn Amber when I put on the directional signal. The highbeams also received the LED treatment and I have been super happy with the results. While we don’t do much night driving we do start trips early in the morning while the kids are still sleeping. I too am 36 years old.

The whole front on my coach including the LED strips underneath the headlights all match color temperature and looks really good. The only thing I have not figured out is how to swap out the fog lights for LEDs yet.
And chance you can post the make/model/size of all the bulbs you used? Or even better, links?

Thanks,
TJ
Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #19

Any possibility its on the recall list? Freightliner has a recall and Newmar did also for headlights.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #20

One thing I have observed is that I want better lights on the MH than on my car. I think this is because we need to look even further down the road due to increased stopping distances.

I recently upgraded all of the lights on my 02 MA. On the recent trip, I noticed that I had the high beams on very little...so the emphasis should really be on better low beam performance (without blinding oncoming traffic).

So, putting a plan in place for more low beam...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #21

Weak headlights? What upgrades have you done?

Quote:
And chance you can post the make/model/size of all the bulbs you used? Or even better, links?

Thanks,

TJ

Yep!!

Had to dig for them.

H11 bulbs for both low and high beams.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHDYTGL..._muosBb3JR6TP7

Switchback turn signals - a must IMO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077P7KKWY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Working on a soliton for fog lights...
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #22

If you're looking for replacement headlights (for the 2015-2018 models at least), the headlamps are from a late model (2011+) Grand Caravan, or Town and Country. I have not found any true projector type replacements though.
Anyone had any luck finding complete HID replacements
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my headlights with LED from M-4. They were a lot cheaper then the ones from Newmar. They had issues, the stock ones kep't the daytime running lights low beams on and the M-4 kep't the high beams on and also flickering in tail lights. I went with the ones from newmar and now I have no daytime running lights. They do appear to be a lot brighter but I haven't driven at night yet. The ones from M-4 have LED on two sides of the bulb and the ones from newmar have LED's on four sides of the bulb. It sure looks like it would do a better job than the M-4. I will just have to switch the lights on during the day. It will be a while until I have a chance to try them at night. I, like you, TJ, do a fair amount of night driving.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
TJ thank you for your response and making my point.

Maybe you should not be driving the speed limit. It is not a car, it is not a weapon. You are old enough to know better.

When I was your age (waited a long to say that), I did tow at the speed limit. It was 55 mph. That is the speed you should be driving driving a MH unless conditions permit.

You should limit yourself to 65 if you are on divided highway or there is no traffic.

My last panic stop was in Idaho. I was going 65 mph and the limit was 75. I was slowing down for traffic when things go ugly fast. I thought we were not going to make it and was deciding the best way to leave the road. Fortunately a lane opened and I was not going to hit anyone.

Checking the mirrors, I saw white smoke coming from the jackknifing gasoline tanker that was going to hit us.

So TJ I was going for the open lane even if '67 Camaro was there.

Got the picture!

Cars can stop faster than a MH. MH can stop faster than a Semi.

My '65 Impala rag top, my second car, had great head lights better than my MH. So what?

My MH headlights get the job done. If yours do not you have the responsibility to report the safety hazard to the NTSB.

Sorry man, you are way off. When I say "doing the speed limit" here in CA if I'm towing (which I usually am on longer trips where I end up driving at night) that means 55 MPH. It doesn't matter if the freeway is a 70 or even 75, if you're towing in CA the speed limit is 55.

Have you ever driven I-5 from south of Sacramento to just north of LA? It's flat, straight and generally smooth (for CA roads). You'll find that doing 55 on that section of 5 is actually somewhat dangerous, as big rigs will close on you with a bit speed differential (they all cruise ~70) and then change lanes to get around you somewhat erratically. With my gasser I had no choice but to do about 55-60 when towing. With the DSDP I'll be honest, if possible I find it SAFER to do 65 or so to at least get closer to even with the rigs.

You really don't have to try to lecture me.

I've raced cars as long as I've had my license (legal racing, so over 20 years now). I've also been towing since I got my first job pumping concrete at 15 (I only towed on private property until 16, of course). I've had 2 5'ers before I got my first Class A (gas) and then my DSDP. I've had several other enclosed and flatbed trailers. This isn't my first rodeo. I take the attitude "as soon as you get in your RV you're on vacation" and I'm racing around in my RV.

I weighed my rig, with stacker because I am responsible in how I drive and tow and wanted to know my weights were within spec for the hitch and axles. I also went to great lengths and cost to stay within the CA 65' limit. This is why I chose a 40' DSDP with the factory 15k hitch and tag axle... rather than saving a few hundred grand getting a used 45' coach. I also searched far and wide to find a stacker that would take my toys, but still come in under length.

Checking weights:

Checking length:

I don't think driving around at 45 MPH on an Interstate Freeway with a 70 MPH speed limit because your headlights rival the gas-lanterns on a "horseless carriage" is safe. But hey, I guess I'm crazy.

If you actually read this thread, you'll see it's not my eyesight or driving that is the problem. MANY other DSDP or similar Newmar coach owners are reporting the same problem. But I guess we must all be Hoons going out and drifting our 40-50k lbs rigs and pegging 90 MPH down the freeway.

Bottom line: I don't think it's slightly reasonable to expect that you can't do 55 MPH on a flat, straight road in a 2017 vehicle that is legal for highway use because of the headlights.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Yep!!

Had to dig for them.

H11 bulbs for both low and high beams.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHDYTGL..._muosBb3JR6TP7

Switchback turn signals - a must IMO

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077P7KKWY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Working on a soliton for fog lights...
Awesome, thanks! Going to order up those soon. I'm still a little tempted to do HIDs in the lows vs. LEDs if I can find a pure plug and play solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
If you're looking for replacement headlights (for the 2015-2018 models at least), the headlamps are from a late model (2011+) Grand Caravan, or Town and Country. I have not found any true projector type replacements though.
Anyone had any luck finding complete HID replacements
Interesting, that's great info to have! I doubt we'll find a true projector housing, but plug and play HIDs would still be a great improvement (that's what I did on my pickup). LEDs would be even easier, but IMHO they don't have the "throw" of HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtsr View Post
I replaced my headlights with LED from M-4. They were a lot cheaper then the ones from Newmar. They had issues, the stock ones kep't the daytime running lights low beams on and the M-4 kep't the high beams on and also flickering in tail lights. I went with the ones from newmar and now I have no daytime running lights. They do appear to be a lot brighter but I haven't driven at night yet. The ones from M-4 have LED on two sides of the bulb and the ones from newmar have LED's on four sides of the bulb. It sure looks like it would do a better job than the M-4. I will just have to switch the lights on during the day. It will be a while until I have a chance to try them at night. I, like you, TJ, do a fair amount of night driving.
Also great info, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Any possibility its on the recall list? Freightliner has a recall and Newmar did also for headlights.
We've had several recalls, but I don't think we got on on the headlights. Is there a website I can check?

-TJ
Old 07-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! Going to order up those soon. I'm still a little tempted to do HIDs in the lows vs. LEDs if I can find a pure plug and play solution.

Interesting, that's great info to have! I doubt we'll find a true projector housing, but plug and play HIDs would still be a great improvement (that's what I did on my pickup). LEDs would be even easier, but IMHO they don't have the "throw" of HIDs.

Also great info, thank you.

We've had several recalls, but I don't think we got on on the headlights. Is there a website I can check?

-TJ

So...not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm COMPLETELY new to HID and LED headlights. (Okay, I just googled them and now have a basic understanding)

HID - Brighter but more fraigle
LED - Almost as bright as HID's but more durable.

So..how do I go about figuring out what I need to install LEDs in my 97 RexAir? I understand there's a 'kit' I'll need to install?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
TJ please forgive me if my comments about driving at night seemed offensive to you. I should have kept quiet since I had nothing to add. And, I'm sure it takes all kinds of RVers. Those that prefer or need to drive at night and those that prefer or need to drive during the day only.

I guess I see only other RVers like me and hence my inability to understand the problem you are trying to solve.

No offense was intended and again, I apologize for any offense taken.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
TJ please forgive me if my comments about driving at night seemed offensive to you. I should have kept quiet since I had nothing to add. And, I'm sure it takes all kinds of RVers. Those that prefer or need to drive at night and those that prefer or need to drive during the day only.

I guess I see only other RVers like me and hence my inability to understand the problem you are trying to solve.

No offense was intended and again, I apologize for any offense taken.
I suppose I over-reacted... blame it on the internet and not being able to understand a person's tone or intent. I'm sure you were just trying to help.

My point is simply that a brand new RV, at any price-point, but especially over a $400k MSRP should be capable of being driven safely at night, at the speed limit.

One thing I did find: https://auto-recalls.justia.com/newm...017/18v245000/

That is probably why my brights are so... NOT bright. However, it doesn't address the issue of the poor low beam lighting.

-TJ

Tags
light, lights, upgrade