Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Yes I mean what vehicle were the lights originally from? And how do you find that out?
I would first search for that on this forum.
If you don't get a hit, then look at the headlights. There may be a DOT number embossed on the lens. A google lookup might find the match. There may also be a OE number on the back of the headlight housing to try to match.

The RV OE's parts department might be able to help.

Lacking any help there, cops and car enthusiasts are pretty good at identifying lights.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Lacking any help there, cops and car enthusiasts are pretty good at identifying lights.
Ok now that made me laugh cause I’m both and still don’t know what they are from. Lol.

Here’s a pic of the front end. The lights aren’t really in a car housing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5808C821-9E58-402B-A9FC-648DDA43792E.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	212562  
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
No idea why the photo is sideways and I can’t fix it. Sorry guys.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #46

There is a recall on Newmar motorhomes, having to do with when the switch for high beams is activated, both high and low beams should be on, they are not. I have an appt to have mine fixed.
bross4153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #47

Those look like Hella 90mm projectors (car enthusiast, not a cop)

That's just a guess, but if you search for that, you will get some hits of very similar looking lenses....and your housings since they look like projectors are probably pretty good. You might just need to upgrade the bulb. Remove the bulb from the backside and post a picture of that so you know if it's a H1, a H11 etc style.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0081930.../dp/B00062ZYNK
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Those look like Hella 90mm projectors (car enthusiast, not a cop)

That's just a guess, but if you search for that, you will get some hits of very similar looking lenses....and your housings since they look like projectors are probably pretty good. You might just need to upgrade the bulb. Remove the bulb from the backside and post a picture of that so you know if it's a H1, a H11 etc style.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0081930.../dp/B00062ZYNK
The lense does say Hella on it. You are correct. Are those aftermarket to begin with?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:53 PM   #49

Quote:
I would first search for that on this forum.
If you don't get a hit, then look at the headlights. There may be a DOT number embossed on the lens. A google lookup might find the match. There may also be a OE number on the back of the headlight housing to try to match.

The RV OE's parts department might be able to help.

So, I looked on the lens and came up with SAE HRI2P 95LN, which when I googled it, it came up with a 95 Lincoln Town Car. Other numbers on it were, FORD HB5 12V 14H.

Now, I'm assuming I would have to then remove the bulb and get a number off that? Once I have that, how do I figure out which LED replacement / kit I should get?

Appreciate the help folks.

Update: So I just went to Amazon and put in those numbers along with adding a 1995 Lincoln Town car to my Amazon Garage, and they said this one will work:

https://goo.gl/819z9B

But I think I saw somewhere (in this post?) that 4500K is the better 'color'. I see this one is 6500K. Is that right? Should I be looking for 4500K?

Also, is it as simple and removing the old bulb and putting in a new one? (sorry..I'm reading a bunch of reviews about these but it doesn't appear to be clear how this works)

Thanks.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Is it possible that headlights can only aim so high and still be legal, and we sit quite a bit above the beam? I believe that this is at least part of the problem. My older eyes don’t do well driving at night, so I avoid in my cars, motorcycles and most of all my RV.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #51

Hella is a manufacturer of lighting. They do higher end OE light modules, and good quality aftermarket / racing lighting systems. Good stuff.

There looks to be two projector assys. A small diameter one, and a larger. Certainly one is a Low beam, and the other is a High beam. It's possible the Low is a LOW / HIGH combination. Turn the lights on and flip from Low to High and tell us which beams come on under what condition.

So, I will assume you don't need to replace the projector itself, but only the bulb. So, put a jack stand under the frame, shimmy under and figure out how to remove the bulb. Usually it will just quarter twist counter clockwise, or there will be a latch to secure the bulb into the projector assy.

Once you have the bulb out, do NOT touch the glass. The oil from your skin will cause the bulb to burn out once reinstalled.

Take a picture of the bulb and the connector and post it. That will indicate what type of bulb it is.

I suspect the easiest to upgrade to will be LED. But let's see what you have now. Once we know that, then we will know if you need revised wiring harnesses, revised lighting controllers, ignitors, or just simply the bulbs. Usually just the bulbs.

I recommend color warmth around 5000 - 5500K for headlights. Any higher and the bulb will look blue (unless that's what you want).

StuartW - aiming is critical. Legally the headlights can't be too low or too high from the road surface. Higher is better for driving lights ( I think it's 43" max). Lower is better for fog lights. The position of the driver isn't the issue. Projector housings are the best. They concentrate the available light from the bulb evenly with a wide width and a very sharp cutoff horizontally so the oncoming traffic isn't blinded by the super bright bulb. For Low / High beam units, there is a solenoid the flips a gate down to block the top of the bulb for Low beam.

Here is how I upgraded my old fashioned incandescent lights to projectors
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/head...de-387578.html
Going to add some 90mm Hella low beams as well next.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross4153 View Post
There is a recall on Newmar motorhomes, having to do with when the switch for high beams is activated, both high and low beams should be on, they are not. I have an appt to have mine fixed.
I have the same recall on my new 2018 Bay Star (RSB 505). I took it in to my local dealer where the coach was purchased and had the recall work done and they still don't work as described in the recall notice. Both high beams and low beams do NOT illuminate concurrently when high beams are selected.

Dealer is clueless. They said they would call newmar for instructions and there is no evidence they ever did so I called Newmar. Bringing coach back next week for round 2 to see if this fixes the recall.

I want this recall addressed, but I bought LED upgrade bulbs from M4 anyway and will install myself once recall is cleared.
CUME91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUME91 View Post
I have the same recall on my new 2018 Bay Star (RSB 505). I took it in to my local dealer where the coach was purchased and had the recall work done and they still don't work as described in the recall notice. Both high beams and low beams do NOT illuminate concurrently when high beams are selected.

Dealer is clueless. They said they would call newmar for instructions and there is no evidence they ever did so I called Newmar. Bringing coach back next week for round 2 to see if this fixes the recall.

I want this recall addressed, but I bought LED upgrade bulbs from M4 anyway and will install myself once recall is cleared.
I gotta believe that the recall is just a Y harness to take the High beam juice and route it to the Low beam bulb. How the dealer is messing that one up is beyond me...usually recall technical service bulletins are pretty clear. Not to mention easy to test that it's working the way its supposed to be. Sounds like they assigned the tire rotation technician to the job...
Old 07-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Headlight Summary document

There is a tremendous amount of information, some good, on the Internet about headlights. I have found a basic primer that discusses the basics which may allow you to make a better decision when it comes to headlight changes.

https://www.vehicode.com/blog/the-co...ght-bulbs.html

All LEDS and HIDs are not created equal so you need to understand the information supplied with the products and what information might be missing.

I have found that a 6000 Kelvin producing 7300 lumen LED bulb set in standard DOT approved halogen lens makes reflective road signs almost unreadable until you are very close. Consequently I am searching for projector lens and 4800 K HID bulbs from an OEM supplier like Philips.

See video for an example
Attached Files
travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHogan View Post
I have found that a 6000 Kelvin producing 7300 lumen LED bulb set in standard DOT approved halogen lens makes reflective road signs almost unreadable until you are very close. Consequently I am searching for projector lens and 4800 K HID bulbs from an OEM supplier like Philips.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...universal.html
Old 07-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post

Have you ever driven I-5 from south of Sacramento to just north of LA?
You really don't have to try to lecture me.

Bottom line: I don't think it's slightly reasonable to expect that you can't do 55 MPH on a flat, straight road in a 2017 vehicle that is legal for highway use because of the headlights.
Drove I-5 just last fall going 65 in the MH at night. This old guy did not have a problem seeing with the MH headlights.

First time I-5 at night was before TJ was born. I was a young sailor coming from Long Beach to Mare Island. The headlight were installed with baling wire on my POS '64 Impala. The CHP made me take them in and have them tested. They were properly adjsuted.

TJ is right I should not have to lecture him. I suspect that TJ suffered from a lack of hearing BS from older adult males. My father was at Pearl Harbor in 1941 and my FIW lied about his age to join navy at 15.

BS!

On the score of being passed by trucks I prefer that they get by me quick. If I am driving a car I will not get trapped beside a truck. I hang back until the car in front of me past then I accelerate and get around.

Since TJ thinks his headlights are not safe but has not filed a complaint, my BS meter is pegged.

Tags
light, lights, upgrade