RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #1

Weighing and Adjusting Tire Pressure

Looking for some stupid easy instructions.

Where can I get weighed at? Currently in Carlsbad, NM heading West toward Phoenix in the next 2 weeks.

Is '4 corner' important, or can I just get front/back.

Should I have my tow vehicle hitched up when doing so, or should I just add some 'tongue weight' onto the rear?

Now that I have my weights, what should I set my PSI to? I have Michelin 255/80R22.5 - how do I handle the rears since there are 2 of them.

I apologize but i've seen the tire pressure threads and it just seems like a copy/paste of some random thoughts from 20 different threads that I am not sure I am following...

rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Mayby lots is copied because it has been written many times before.
But to react , weighing per axle-end is best , because then you sertainly know the weight- difference R/L. This is important for deyetmining tirepressure advice.
This weightdifference can sometimes be 10% or more so div 45/55% on the axle, and most dont believe that if they weighed per axle.

So search for how to weigh, then most important is done, but weigh fully loaded if possible, so with all the lugage and persons ( and animals) in it.
If you forgot some small thing like watertank it can be estimated.

And give clearer the configuration of vehicle.
Now I make of it 2 axles , 1 front and one rear with 2 tires on the axle.

jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:00 AM   #3

Can’t help with where, other than many truck stops will have scales, usually a small fee. More knowledge is best so if you can, get all four corners weighed. If you can’t do the four corners get the front and rear axles. If you go to Michelins web site you should find a chart to look up the minimum tire pressure required to support the weights you got from the scales. Some folks add 5% to these numbers, others don’t.

If you got the 4 corners, use the higher of the R/L weights for all tires on the same axle. So if the right side weight is higher than the left use the right side weight to look up the required minimum pressure.

For the dual rears, do the same thing, but remember to divide the weight by two before looking up the weight in the chart. So if the right side is the higher of the two, and it’s say 8,000 lbs, then look 4,000 up in the chart. Use the first number that equals or exceeds your weight.

Me, I just use the chart that the manufacturer provided. I try to keep things simple.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
Looking for some stupid easy instructions.

Where can I get weighed at? Currently in Carlsbad, NM heading West toward Phoenix in the next 2 weeks.

Is '4 corner' important, or can I just get front/back.

Should I have my tow vehicle hitched up when doing so, or should I just add some 'tongue weight' onto the rear?

Now that I have my weights, what should I set my PSI to? I have Michelin 255/80R22.5 - how do I handle the rears since there are 2 of them.

I apologize but i've seen the tire pressure threads and it just seems like a copy/paste of some random thoughts from 20 different threads that I am not sure I am following...
Very simple process. First of all, a 4-corner weight is the best, but not available just any place. Your best bet is to utilize one of the first truck stops on you upcoming run. It looks like the Pilot right in Carlsbad does not have a CAT Scale. If you are heading to I-10 to make your way to Phoenix then the one in Las Cruses does.

For me it is easier to do a weight check while traveling because I am fueled and loaded with everything. Just pulled up to the scale (usually behind close to diesel pumps). If not busy which they are usually not, run inside and tell the fuel desk you are an RV and want to weigh. Pull onto scale, open your driver's window and wait until they tell you they have your weight. It takes a few minutes sometimes. Pull off the scale, go back inside, pay your $11 - $12 and get the weight ticket. If you want to weigh once with toad and once without you can do that all for the same initial fee. Some folks like to do this so they can better compute their exact tongue weight.

Anyway, when I weigh while on the road I just put my weight ticket away and that evening after set up in camp I will go over the figures. You can easily look up the chart for your specific brand/type/size of tire to get your proper psi settings. Remember it is better to be slightly over inflated than under inflated.

Weighing at a Flying J, Pilot, or other truck stop is easypeasy and more RVers should do it. If you are at a rally or some other place where they are doing 4-corner weights that would be a good idea but you certainly won't want to wait months for that to possibly happen.

Safe travels,
Joe
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #5

The Escapees club have three locations whete they do 4 corner wts. I recently had mine done in Bushnell FL.

If doing axle wts you shpuld be able to pull front wheels on thevtruck scale as far as possible w/o rears coming on.

After they confirm wt pull both axles on scale and get wt confirmed.
Lastly pull front off and get just rear wt.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If scales are not available at a truck stop, check out moving companies. They all have scales and several times over the years I have ask if they would weigh the coach I had at that time. That have always been very cooperative depending on the scales sometimes you can get a four corner weight, but if not you can always get the weight of each axel.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've never been where I could 4 corner weigh and I always add a cushion:
so I just use this --> https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/ to find a place
and this to weigh--> https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

AND THEN DO A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR MY TIRE MFG'S TIRE LOAD CHARTS

good luck !

Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

The Freightliner factory / service center weighed our coach last October. I believe we have the same size Michelins.

See [mod edit]
clayfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

Quick and simple until you can get 4 corner weights.
Take axle weight and add 10% and divide by number of tires on that axle (2 or 4).
Then look up pressure for that on mfg's inflation chart. Note there is a different chart for single tire and a dual.
coachmanjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire information at the bottom of this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Quick and simple until you can get 4 corner weights.
Take axle weight and add 10% and divide by number of tires on that axle (2 or 4).
Then look up pressure for that on mfg's inflation chart. Note there is a different chart for single tire and a dual.
10% for safety margin? Then you do not add another 5 psi when you get the pressure?

Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure