Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Weight and flex in the center of the rig

We own a '07 Newmar KStar DP. Model 3912.

I am having a couple of problems that relate to the Flex of the coach between when it is level, bags dumped, jacks down vs. aired up ready to roll.

1. The large storage door on the passenger side will not close (slide in or out). Ready to roll and it closes fine.

2. Large kitchen slide: pops going in and out. We paid to have shims added to,the slide last summer when it was dragging on the reveal.

The large rollout tray is loaded, but doesn't seem to be over loaded. Is there a weight limit for these trays, and for that matter the storage bays?

We keep bottled water, potatoes under the kitchen sink, too much weight on that slide?

We also added a larger portable fridge/ freezer to that side in the compartment behind the front wheel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

Your outside cabinets should work best when a ride height which is when air bags a full. This is also the way Newmar now recommends using your slides, that is when coach is at ride height. You can adjust the doors a little if that looks like it might help.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi DGBPokes,
Different year, same coach and chassis. You are correct. One can flex that chassis quite a bit with the jacks. Your symptoms are the chassis flex when on jacks. I used to have the same problem. What I did was, by trial and error, determine when I needed to extend the main passenger slide. This would be before or after the leveling routine. All the other slides follow the level first then extend slides.

My thermostat is on the wall behind the passenger seat. Before I do anything I look at the distance from the thermostat to the slide side body. I know about what it should be by sight. If it is good I extend the slide first then level. If not good (too close) I know the chassis is flexed sitting on the bags. Then dump and jacks down to level the coach. This usually puts the distance back to where it should be. If it does not, I retract the rear jacks and extend the front jacks as far as possible. Extend the slide. At least it will not move forward with the method. Retract the front jacks and level the coach. It is difficult to determine why the slide and only this slide will move like it does. It is what it is.

The basement doors should be okay if the slide is okay. It does not sound like there is too much weight in the slide out tray. I do know if the coach is just slightly leaning toward the driver side that my rollout tray is almost impossible to move out. Consider leveling the coach and then manually put a bit of lean toward the passenger side. Just a bit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

My first year of ownership with my first and only rv/coach was full of chassis flex problems. I'm in My 3rd year of ownership and the flex issues never happen.

The difference, for me, is leveling. I used to use the Auto level system and it would really contort the frame.
I really tried to adjust the leveling sensors per HWH instructions, but they just are not accurate enough.

Now, I dump the air bags to start the process. I then evaluate the slide out reveals. I note if they are good or not. I then drop the jacks so that each jack supports a little bit of weight. I then move the jacks to get the minimally acceptable amount of level. For me, this is whether my mid-bath door opens and stays open.

I then check the slideout reveals. My big salon slideout is the most problematic. I will not bring out this slide if the reveals is not good.

If I have chassis flex/bad reveal, I will try to reposition my coach within the allowable campsite. And repeat the process.

Your #2 is a big red flag for me. I will not move my slides with bad reveal.... I had a really bad(scary) experience!!!!

So, for my coach, I try to get reasonably level with the jacks being extended as little as possible.

Tags
weight