Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Went to pick up my 2017 4369 and my phone goes off...

Driving from Miami to Tampa to pick up my new 4369 DSDP. Left on Wednesday last week as PDI / Demo was scheduled for Thursday, 10:00 am. Plan is to do demo on Thursday as they rig the coach with the AIR force braking system (Had the truck done already here in Miami.) Then take it over to Lazy Days campground and shake her out for the weekend. If all well, was delivering it to a covered storage place in Orlando today. Due to various schedules of my wife and I, the coach has been at the dealer about two months. We visited it one weekend and were very happy with the way it turned out. This was our first chance to come pick it up.

About 20 miles out of Tampa, my phone goes off with a message "Don't come to Tampa, there is a problem with the engine." What? Drive over to the dealer, they say the RV is at Frieghtliner with a check engine light on and they are trying to find out what was wrong. Ok, I can deal with that, call me later in the day and let me know whats going on. No call all day, call back that afternoon and they say they found out what was wrong and had ordered the part. (had to order something?) Will be installed tomorrow and back midday on Thursday. Ok.... Thursday afternoon comes along, still no coach. At 4:00 pm I get a call, coach is on the way back to dealer. Ok... 20 minutes later, another phone call. Check engine light came back on as RV arrived at dealer, they sent it back to Frieghtliner. Friday morning, I call Newmar who got the Frieghtliner rep on the phone. He call the Tampa location and got the scoop. The EGR valve needed replacing, and the Technician that replaced it did something improper while installing it that led to a coolant leak.. . And that is should be back at the dealer Friday afternoon. At 9:00 AM Friday morning, I am back at the dealer and say, We need to reschedule the demo, how about November 10th? I told them when they pick up the coach, drive it to Orlando and back, just to check it out....DW and I were pretty calm about the whole thing. I was starting to lose it a few times but she reeled me in. I did leave the Air force braking system with them to install in the meantime. I rescheduled instead of staying, because I did not want to rush them detailing the coach, installing the braking systems, the PDI, etc..... Left the dealer, went and rented a storage unit for the entire truck load of stuff we have been gathering for the new coach, dropped it off and drove back to Miami. Well, well, well...... I hope this is not the beginning of something.......
Captned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can relate. On our very first trip with our brand new 4018 the steering pump was leaking and I lost all hydraulic fluid. Had to be towed to the nearest Freightliner facility and was stuck for 5 days.

Hopefully this is the only serous issue you'll have with your new coach and you'll be able to enjoy it.

Best wishes
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a tip that prevents that EGR check engine light from coming on. When you start the coach, turn to the key, let all the gauges "sweep" and settle down. I had the EGR code appear a few times and Cummins cleared it by repairing the EGR. It happened a few more times, but cleared on it's own.

On my coach, when you turn the key on, the gauges sweep and a check engine light icon stays on for about 8-10 seconds. Once it's out, I start the coach. Since doing this procedure, I've never had the issue again.

The belief is.....there are so many systems starting up and running checks, that starting the engine too soon, causes a check engine light to appear before all the systems can finish start up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #4

Tampa Florida.......Is the dealer RV One????

rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
Tampa Florida.......Is the dealer RV One????

rich
Yup.........
Old 11-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kudos to them for taking the initiative to get your coach to Freightliner before you arrived. So many stories of dealers not wanting to initiate warranty work before customer pick up. Many years ago I had to walk away from a new Holiday Rambler as the selling dealer would not fix a chassis issue before my closing.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, stuff does happen like we used to say in my military days: no plan ever survives first contact

We've had many "adventures" that changed our plans. For example: chipped window, chip repair results in cracked window, extra unplanned day in Denver, 300 miles north rechip window, unplanned return to Denver, reroute trip home. Outcome: got to spend birthday with grand daughter we did not plan for, grand daughter made happy, good on grandpa!

May your adventures always result in unintended good outcomes.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

Well! Now there is an "engine air flow problem". RV one never called. I had to call. FL says they have to work with Newmar because of the way the air intake is installed. FL does some of it, then Newmar does the rest, air intake that is. It has been at Tampa FL since last Wednesday. New coach.... PAID FOR IN FULL.... Oh yea, RV one never told Newmar I paid them for the coach.... They have no records of me. Thought I still had the Baystar I bought in 2014...