Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #57

Re factory delivery

The first month I experienced very few problems later some problems crept up
not sure the factory delivery would have caught them or been of benefit
starchaser6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #58

Factory Pickup Yay or Nay

Congratulations on your purchase of a new Dutchstar. I have not had the pleasure of factory pickup of a brand new Newmar, but i have been to the factory in Nappanee for maintenance. The dedicated time i had with the factory tech taught me things I did not know about my coach, and could not have learned with only the half day orientation I had at the the dealer. Also, If you find an issue on the way back home, you are only a few hours drive back to help. We have had two per-owned Newmars, but if we buy new, we would take factory delivery based on our experience from our last factory visit.
Carl Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
After visiting an RV show a couple of weeks ago and then doing our research over the last 8 months or so, the wife and I have finally decided to go with a 2019 Newmar Dutchstar 4326. Initially, we thought we'd get a Ventana but after realizing several months ago that we couldn't get heated tile floors in a Ventana, that was a nonstarter and sent us off on a tangent looking at all kinds of other coaches from other manufacturers. In the end though, Newmar still won out simply due to the quality of construction and the customer support.

We started working with Tony Morse at NIRVC in Atlanta. Over the weekend, we filled out our build sheet and listed out all of our specials (a great many of which were taken from the Post Your SPECIALS thread started by NealC. Thanks for starting that thread Neal and thanks to everyone for contributing!). So many great ideas in there!

Not sure how long it takes to hear back from Newmar regarding approval/denial of specials and costing for each, but we went kinda crazy with them and just figured once we knew what everything that we wanted would actually cost us, we'd be able to make the decisions about what's important enough for us to pay for.

We're a little unsure whether we should pick up at the factory or not. With us being new to Newmar and RVing in general, we're thinking that week of time with a tech would probably be a wise investment. I'd love to hear thoughts from others regarding their factory pickup experience, or lack thereof. We will probably go do the factory tour once we get our build date.
We picked up our new 2017 coach from a dealer, worst thing ive ever done. lots of promises no action ,ended up taking coach back to manufacturer 3 times in first year 80% of damage was caused while new coach was in dealers position and the rest was build quality that the factory had to correct.
given the choice going forward i would pick up at the factory
Bruce138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #60

Hi all,

Not a Newmar owner. Last four were two Born Frees and two 45' Renegades.
Just one quick question: I have read quite a few articles about Newmar paint jobs over the years. This led me to believe that their paint jobs were superior to most in the industry.
My daughter and son-in-law are looking at moving up from their 2004 Monaco 40 footer.

Have I been amiss in extolling the virtues of Newmar paint?

Thanks,
Gene
gmbroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #61
UAV

Our coach is set to be delivered April 1st...yes, April Fool's Day.

I have seen some on here stating they stayed a whole week for FPU.

Is that the standard number of days (5) or is it a case by case basis?

Just need to plan accordingly.

Glad we chose the FPU and have a list going already as reminders.

Thanks in advance.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 PM   #62

So, they do not have any Quality Control Department to make sure that the product is properly built. They want you to pay them to have you do their job. They should be paying you. I have worked in manufacturing and know that it is the manufacturers responsibility to ensure that their product is problem free before it leaves the production floor.

Why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks do we put up with this ?????
RichPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #63
JRI

Without a doubt.

I took factory delivery on 01-OCT-18 and I would do it again without reservation. Not only is a factory technician assigned to you for the week to demonstrate how everything works but anything that is not right will be fixed immediately. You do pay for this but it is well worth it especially for a first time owner as I was.
JRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPat View Post
So, they do not have any Quality Control Department to make sure that the product is properly built. They want you to pay them to have you do their job. They should be paying you. I have worked in manufacturing and know that it is the manufacturers responsibility to ensure that their product is problem free before it leaves the production floor.

Why the h-e-double-hockey-sticks do we put up with this ?????
This seems to be a repeat post.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #65
JRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Our coach is set to be delivered April 1st...yes, April Fool's Day.

I have seen some on here stating they stayed a whole week for FPU.

Is that the standard number of days (5) or is it a case by case basis?

Just need to plan accordingly.

Glad we chose the FPU and have a list going already as reminders.

Thanks in advance.
5 days is the standard time frame for factory pick up. The technician assigned to you will go over every facet of your new coach and explain everything to you. You can spend the night in your coach pushing every button and flipping every switch and any problem that pops up will be fixed the next day. Take note that the hours are 7:30am to 2:30pm so it makes sense to arrive a day early and spend the night in a local motel to arrive rested your first day.
JRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
I did dealer Pick up and would do it again if I should buy a new one. The key is the dealer, and the emphasis he places on his customers. An amazing part of my dealers business is repeat business with people buying multiple coaches and very few if opt for FPU. This is my 3rd Coach from Coachlight and my dealings, have been easy, and a good experience.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #67

Having an incredible dealer like Tom Lindstrom makes a FPU less of a necessity. In fact, Tom takes so much pride in the care of his customers, that I consider it an insult to do a FPU over him.

Being in a California, the coach will endure a 2000 road test so, guess what? That makes for a darned good shake-down trip for Tom and his crew to find any problems; which, by the way, he stands FIRM that Newmar JUST DOES NOT HAVE PROBLEMS!!

Another point that made the decision even easier, was that it would be January...and Napannee is no treat at that time of year.

We will look forward to visiting them, on our time, with nice weather and...hopefully...nothing more than a courtesy tour.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #68

When we got our 5er, I was on active duty in CA, but it worked out that I piggy backed on a conference in VA and was able to pick it up at the factory in Goshen, IN, and also got a tour to watch them being built. It was a great experience and saved me about $2500 in freight because we hauled it back to CA ourselves. It was a neat trip. I recommend a factory pick up if you get the opportunity.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
When we got our 5er, I was on active duty in CA, but it worked out that I piggy backed on a conference in VA and was able to pick it up at the factory in Goshen, IN, and also got a tour to watch them being built. It was a great experience and saved me about $2500 in freight because we hauled it back to CA ourselves. It was a neat trip. I recommend a factory pick up if you get the opportunity.
Newmar does not allow the owner to pickup the coach at the factory UNLESS they pay for the factory delivery option. This cost is around $4k, but does go up every year.

Most manufacturers will allow you to be the delivery driver, but not Newmar.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #70

Buying ANY new RV

God bless everyone who is in a position to buy any size/$ RV. I agree this can be great! Just remember EVERY one of them will come with some defect(s) or problems. So the most important question is: when you drive away on your first trip "How long will the dealer or manufacturer take to bring it back in and correct the problem" ??? !!!
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote