RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

We're doing it - Factory Pickup Yay or Nay?

After visiting an RV show a couple of weeks ago and then doing our research over the last 8 months or so, the wife and I have finally decided to go with a 2019 Newmar Dutchstar 4326. Initially, we thought we'd get a Ventana but after realizing several months ago that we couldn't get heated tile floors in a Ventana, that was a nonstarter and sent us off on a tangent looking at all kinds of other coaches from other manufacturers. In the end though, Newmar still won out simply due to the quality of construction and the customer support.

We started working with Tony Morse at NIRVC in Atlanta. Over the weekend, we filled out our build sheet and listed out all of our specials (a great many of which were taken from the Post Your SPECIALS thread started by NealC. Thanks for starting that thread Neal and thanks to everyone for contributing!). So many great ideas in there!

Not sure how long it takes to hear back from Newmar regarding approval/denial of specials and costing for each, but we went kinda crazy with them and just figured once we knew what everything that we wanted would actually cost us, we'd be able to make the decisions about what's important enough for us to pay for.

We're a little unsure whether we should pick up at the factory or not. With us being new to Newmar and RVing in general, we're thinking that week of time with a tech would probably be a wise investment. I'd love to hear thoughts from others regarding their factory pickup experience, or lack thereof. We will probably go do the factory tour once we get our build date.

Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm sure others will chime in soon, but if/when we purchase another Newmar we will choose factory delivery. Having said that, NIRVC would be our choice if we couldn't do factory delivery. We have heard nothing but good about them.

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
I'm sure others will chime in soon, but if/when we purchase another Newmar we will choose factory delivery. Having said that, NIRVC would be our choice if we couldn't do factory delivery. We have heard nothing but good about them.
Thanks Luv, if I can ask, what was it about your past experience that would make you choose factory delivery today?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

Start here...

I hope this search worked.

I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I intend to in the future. I have read what seems like every post on this forum as part of my research. When I decide to do it, it will be FPU for me.

2019 Newmar Factory Delivery - What to Expect

First post for me! Hope it is helpful. There are a ton of super helpful people on here, you will quickly find out who they are.
Pups_n_Peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
As I never owned a RV/MH before, FPU was a must, I needed the training, and the training and Q/A was worth every penny. I'd most likely do it again unless I ordered from a dealer such as NIRVC or someone on that level. I also do NOT want dealer advertising tags stuck on my coach so another reason to go to Newmar. Having a tech for a week and learning the systems is priceless, literally. It's worth it! Had I not done it mine would probably be sold by now as my local dealer would have never figured out the problems discovered at FPU.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We own a Dutch Star 4326. Great coach, you will love it...

The next NEWMAR we buy, I will take the time to do a factory delivery. I made that mistake not taking the needed time with the dealer. I felt the dealer was in a hurry to move me on so to speak.

I think the factory will take the necessary time to make sure you are familiar with the coach workings plus have all the necessary resources to fix any issues.

Good luck.
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pups_n_Peeps View Post
I hope this search worked.

I have not pulled the trigger yet, but I intend to in the future. I have read what seems like every post on this forum as part of my research. When I decide to do it, it will be FPU for me.

2019 Newmar Factory Delivery - What to Expect
Thanks Pups,
I've read that post. I'm really just looking for advice on whether or not the time and money spent on factory delivery is actually worth it compared to delivery from NIRVC. That probably wasn't apparent from my initial post.

For those folks that did/didn't take factory delivery, I'd be interested in hearing whether or not they would next time and why.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #8

FD

I have had two Newmars and did dealer delivery on both. The first time was a disaster and I own part of that for not taking the time to do it right. I was uneducated. The second one we found issues that would have been better to fix at the factory. It really depends on the dealer that does a good PDI. Given the experience of the FPU and their abilities to address everything right there along with my local dealer not up to my standard, I’ll go with a FPU when I place my next order. I will say this, if you do decide to take delivery at the dealer stay there or nearby so they can address issues immediately.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
I have had two Newmars and did dealer delivery on both. The first time was a disaster and I own part of that for not taking the time to do it right. I was uneducated. The second one we found issues that would have been better to fix at the factory. It really depends on the dealer that does a good PDI. Given the experience of the FPU and their abilities to address everything right there along with my local dealer not up to my standard, Iíll go with a FPU when I place my next order. I will say this, if you do decide to take delivery at the dealer stay there or nearby so they can address issues immediately.
Sheridany, thanks for the thoughts. If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you think that you weren't prepared for FPU the first time around? How specifically were you "uneducated". I mean, that's what FPU is all about, right? Educating the uneducated and finding the issues before it ever leaves the factory.

Just asking because if I drop $5k on FPU (likely), I certainly don't want to walk in unprepared or "uneducated". I feel like I've done a ton of research but fully recognize that I don't know what I don't know.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztrux View Post
We own a Dutch Star 4326. Great coach, you will love it...

The next NEWMAR we buy, I will take the time to do a factory delivery. I made that mistake not taking the needed time with the dealer. I felt the dealer was in a hurry to move me on so to speak.

I think the factory will take the necessary time to make sure you are familiar with the coach workings plus have all the necessary resources to fix any issues.

Good luck.
Thanks Fitztrux, sorry to hear you had that kind of experience with your dealer. I'm not as worried about getting "moved along" with NIRVC (maybe that's a little naive), but I've just never read a bad thing about them from anyone on this forum or others.

What I do have some concern over is:
  1. Learning how all the bits and bobs of this beast work (for many systems, I probably wouldn't even know if its working as expected or something is wrong)
  2. identifying issues that a dealer couldn't/wouldnt fix (paint) and getting them addressed immediately
  3. Learning some basic troubleshooting of the systems and perhaps emergency fixes for anything severe that could cause cascading effects until I can get it somewhere the issue can be addressed properly
Old 01-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
As I never owned a RV/MH before, FPU was a must, I needed the training, and the training and Q/A was worth every penny. I'd most likely do it again unless I ordered from a dealer such as NIRVC or someone on that level...Having a tech for a week and learning the systems is priceless, literally. It's worth it! Had I not done it mine would probably be sold by now as my local dealer would have never figured out the problems discovered at FPU.
That's pretty much what we're thinking. Wanted to see if anyone will tell us they had a bad experience with it.

Quote:
I also do NOT want dealer advertising tags stuck on my coach so another reason to go to Newmar.
I'm with you on that. I hate the idea of some dealer's tags, stickers or whatever being on my anything. I won't even buy a shirt that has a brand logo on it that is any bigger than a penny.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #12

Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
Sheridany, thanks for the thoughts. If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you think that you weren't prepared for FPU the first time around? How specifically were you "uneducated". I mean, that's what FPU is all about, right? Educating the uneducated and finding the issues before it ever leaves the factory.

Just asking because if I drop $5k on FPU (likely), I certainly don't want to walk in unprepared or "uneducated". I feel like I've done a ton of research but fully recognize that I don't know what I don't know.
I was uneducated in the sense that I donít realize how important a really good PDI is. A poor PDI will in my opinion, have you dealing with warranty issues that might have been caught in a really good inspection and can make the first year of owning a coach really frustrating. Likewise, Itís all about learning the systems like oasis, electrical/inverter management etc and getting really detailed information on operating EVERYTHING. It takes time for that amount of information to be absorbed. There are two parts to this, house and chassis. These are complex machines and itís not easy to do this this in hours. Its really days of time whether you choose dealer or factory and you should plan for that. There are definitely dealers who can do it right and 007 has a list near the the top of the forum listings. I just donít happen to live near one. Also know this forum is terrific and the people who post are really helpful so you are not alone in this journey.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #13

Whether you choose to do FPU or do it at NIVRC, BE PREPARED TO SPEND A FULL WEEK THERE.

I would also recommend a short (100 or so mile) trip with an overnite stay at a campground before leaving the area and heading home. You will probably find something that needs to be addressed or have additional questions you need answers for after doing so.
We were very pleased with the service department at NIVRC in Lawrenceville. -Paul
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post

Go back and carefully read Sheridany's post. It says he/she was not prepared for DEALER pick up.