Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
I got the call from Carl at Newmar today regarding our VIP delivery.

Our Ventana 4369 comes off production on March 31st. It then goes through the PDI process for 2-3 weeks. We will be at Newmar on Sunday April 27 and take delivery on Monday April 28th. Newmar offered us a week earlier but with current work commitments we elected the following week as mentioned earlier. We will be assigned a tech who will be with us to explain, adjust, correct etc anything for our coach the entire week. This includes test driving, etc.

If we experience anything different from what others have, I will be sure to report. We are really looking forward to the factory delivery/VIP experience.
An exciting time for you!!! Hopefully the time doesn't go by too slowly!! and you should have some nice Spring weather to pick it up in.

Congrats!! Enjoy!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting inputs... FIRST, let me give the OP answers, IMHO, to his questions: IFS, Side Radiator and Spartan chassis. Now, lets talk delivery... I REALLY think the quality of the delivery process is based on the quality of the dealership. No, negative implication to the Newmar VIP factory delivery service, but I think a GOOD dealership, worth their salt, can provide an equal service. When we purchased our "used" 2011 Essex this year, the dealership provided an OUTSTANDING PDI/delivery service. We started with a full day going over the coach! Starting in the cockpit, we went over and operated every switch, system, display, light ETC in the coach from front to rear. Then we went outside and did the same from the nose, to the tail and back to the nose... again operating every door, light, switch and slide, wet bay, electrical bay, gen slide-out, ETC on the coach. At ~6 PM we went in and finished the purchase paperwork, while we were doing the paperwork, the coach was moved to a spot on the dealers campground and setup for us. We returned to our "now' purchased coach and were given the Technicians cell telephone number with the instruction that if any problem or issue popped up we were to call him. In addition, we were given a notebook to record any "issues" that might require adjustment or repair. We spent the next 3 days in the dealerships campground becoming familiar with our new coach. On the morning of the 4th day, the doorbell rang and it was our technician wanting to know how things went, did we have any questions and were there any issues that required maintenance. And that ladies and gentlemen was NOT a priced option but rather a dealer taking care of his new customers! Oh, and guess where we go for coach service when we're home...
Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nforus,
For me the difference is:
1. Before: The factory delivery was not promoted by Newmar Corp. It has been available, but one would need to know about it and ask for it.
2. Now: VIP Delivery Service has an official name. It is being promoted by Newmar Corp. It has graduated from a 2nd cousin once removed to a member of the official immediate Newmar family of offerings. One might see this offering in their brochures and advertising.

The difference may seem small, but it is not. A coach order with the customer taking delivery at the dealer, includes a fee, paid by Newmar Corp. for the dealer to ensure the customer is shown all the whistles and bells on their coach. Being sensitive to their dealers, Newmar has been reluctant to expand service or promote "factory delivery". It has been felt this would place Newmar Corp. between the customer and the dealer. This is something Newmar has tried to avoid. It has been Newmar's belief the dealer owns the retail customer. I'm sure there was quite a bit of communications (between Newmar and their dealers) going on, behind the scenes, as this decision was debated.

A coach order with the customer taking VIP Delivery Service the dealer will not receive the fee for doing the delivery that they received when the dealer did the retail delivery.

VIP Delivery Service and the Highline Service being expanded are two events we should watch closely. These mark quite a change in direction for Newmar. History is being made right before our eyes.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi nforus,
For me the difference is:
1. Before: The factory delivery was not promoted by Newmar Corp. It has been available, but one would need to know about it and ask for it.
2. Now: VIP Delivery Service has an official name. It is being promoted by Newmar Corp. It has graduated from a 2nd cousin once removed to a member of the official immediate Newmar family of offerings. One might see this offering in their brochures and advertising.

The difference may seem small, but it is not. A coach order with the customer taking delivery at the dealer, includes a fee, paid by Newmar Corp. for the dealer to ensure the customer is shown all the whistles and bells on their coach. Being sensitive to their dealers, Newmar has been reluctant to expand service or promote "factory delivery". It has been felt this would place Newmar Corp. between the customer and the dealer. This is something Newmar has tried to avoid. It has been Newmar's belief the dealer owns the retail customer. I'm sure there was quite a bit of communications (between Newmar and their dealers) going on, behind the scenes, as this decision was debated.

A coach order with the customer taking VIP Delivery Service the dealer will not receive the fee for doing the delivery that they received when the dealer did the retail delivery.

VIP Delivery Service and the Highline Service being expanded are two events we should watch closely. These mark quite a change in direction for Newmar. History is being made right before our eyes.
Thanks Gary,

I can see where the dealer could be reduced to a " transactional facilitator" when they are selling coaches that they may never see. But the dealer is getting some kind of margin on the sale so maybe not having to transport and prep the coach may not bother them all that much. From an owners perspective, the factory experience really ties folks to Newmar and we never see anyone posting that they did not have a good time in Nappanee, so the dealer stands a pretty good chance of picking up the second and subsequent sales as well. We had dealer delivery on our first KGDB and factory delivery on the second one last October, the two experiences don't even compare.

I'll wait and see about the expansion of the Highline service. If they really are going to expect us to deliver our coach to them at some location off campus at 6:00 am then Nevin, Ken, and I are going to "chat"
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Interesting inputs... FIRST, let me give the OP answers, IMHO, to his questions: IFS, Side Radiator and Spartan chassis. Now, lets talk delivery... I REALLY think the quality of the delivery process is based on the quality of the dealership. No, negative implication to the Newmar VIP factory delivery service, but I think a GOOD dealership, worth their salt, can provide an equal service. When we purchased our "used" 2011 Essex this year, the dealership provided an OUTSTANDING PDI/delivery service. We started with a full day going over the coach! Starting in the cockpit, we went over and operated every switch, system, display, light ETC in the coach from front to rear. Then we went outside and did the same from the nose, to the tail and back to the nose... again operating every door, light, switch and slide, wet bay, electrical bay, gen slide-out, ETC on the coach. At ~6 PM we went in and finished the purchase paperwork, while we were doing the paperwork, the coach was moved to a spot on the dealers campground and setup for us. We returned to our "now' purchased coach and were given the Technicians cell telephone number with the instruction that if any problem or issue popped up we were to call him. In addition, we were given a notebook to record any "issues" that might require adjustment or repair. We spent the next 3 days in the dealerships campground becoming familiar with our new coach. On the morning of the 4th day, the doorbell rang and it was our technician wanting to know how things went, did we have any questions and were there any issues that required maintenance. And that ladies and gentlemen was NOT a priced option but rather a dealer taking care of his new customers! Oh, and guess where we go for coach service when we're home...
Who was the dealer, you were treated beyond many that I have known, maybe others would like to know also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM   #20

I was going to a ask who the dealer was also, what about the trade-in , I would think you would leave it at Newmar then the dealer would have it moved to their place for resale.
I looked thru the previous threads & don't see anything on this?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Since every deal is unique, what happens to the trade would be deal specific. Dealers do nothing for free. Gut feel says if you want the dealer to pick up the trade in Nappanee, the dealer cost of doing that would be in the deal.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #22

We're getting there thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Like so many others we are just about ready to sign on the dotted line. We love the floor plan of the Ventana 4036. But as I continue to read, talk to people and learn about options, IFS vs solid axle, rear radiator vs side radiator, I start looking at the DS 4038. Then I start reading about the Spartan chassis vs FL and get more confused.
SO as we meet with another dealer to get even further confused maybe you folks can chime in and give myself and my better half your thoughts and why decisions were made. I do know that $$$ are part of the equation. We do plan on keeping this coach for a good number of years but no one knows what will transpire down the line.

Oh and what is the story with factory delivery. A dealer I spoke with said the factory is not equipped to spend time with you so they prefer to do it.

Thanks for all your help. We enjoy reading the forums. They are very helpful.

Gamechanger:

Having put over 300,000 miles on several coaches since 1983, I offer the following thoughts and suggestions. I prefer the IFS over the solid front axle. To me, ride and handling are better with the IFS. The Freightliner chassis would be my choice but the Spartan chassis is good also.

As to dealers vs. factory I can't emphasize how important it is to have a good knowledge of the factory and the Parts and Service techs whose help you will surely need at times. You can only get that experience by going to the factory and meeting some of those folks. Newmar has an excellent reputation for working with customers who visit the factory. You will also usually have a site to hook up your coach for an overnight stay.

In choosing a dealership, I suggest looking for one which is large enough to have a campground on site. There will almost certainly be times when you need to have service which will require more than a day. Having a place to hook up your coach for an overnight stay so it can be moved to the sevice bay in the morning and back to your site at night is highly desirable, I promise. Check out the dealership in Carthage, MO @ Coachlight RV | Carthage Missouri RV Dealer which is just an example of what some dealerships have available.

A significant benefit of taking your coach to the factory or a dealership with a campground is the other coach owners you will meet. They have experience and a wealth of knowledge about motorhome living that factory and dealership personnel seldom experience. You can also make friends for life with people who enjoy the RV lifestyle.

A final comment, I am not a fan of leaving my coach at the factory or dealership for them to repair. A customer out of sight is out of mind and delay is almost inevitable. Usually the service personnel come up with questions and they need to confir with the coach owner. It you are hard to contact they almost always make a decision you will not like.