Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wet Bay Door Won't Open

You ever have one of those days....huge rock slams into your windshield and then the crack starts spreading. Then you get to the campground ... yay! Nay, the wet bay cargo door refuses to open. So I ask, is there a secret release button that I don't know about. How do I get the blasted bay open?

As always, I thank ya'll for your help.
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look under the door lock you will see a wire loop that door lock latch hooks over, with a screwdriver put in wire loop and bend loop so it releases the lock latch.
When putting jacks down never over extend the jacks to where you can flex chassis frame, could pop windshield and bind doors to compartments and entrance door.
Jacks are use to stabilize coach chassis only.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is it locked or unlocked? Does the cargo lock switch work for the others? Does the handle move and not release or not move? Try the key if switch does not work. Push in next to the handle while opening.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Look under the door lock you will see a wire loop that door lock latch hooks over, with a screwdriver put in wire loop and bend loop so it releases the lock latch.
When putting jacks down never over extend the jacks to where you can flex chassis frame, could pop windshield and bind doors to compartments and entrance door.

Hmmm, can't find a wire loop. I was still aired up so don't really understand the jack reference. Thanks for trying to help me.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #5
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Is it locked or unlocked? Does the cargo lock switch work for the others? Does the handle move and not release or not move? Try the key if switch does not work. Push in next to the handle while opening.

It's unlocked. I tried the key and it works. When I lift the latch, it's like there is nothing happening. Tried the pushing in too. One word...ouch. Thanks 10 Fan for your suggestions.

Shout out to Neal and Stuart.... thank you. I have a feeling the little wire inside the black casing is not attached. Mobile tech coming out at 9 pm Mountain Time. [emoji1374]
Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #6

The chassis may be tweaked even on the airbags, try dumping the air and try to open, if not try the jacks. One of my passenger side storage doors gets jammed when in a certain position, normally when I dump and level it’s all good.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I use my jacks to level the coach not just "stabilize" it. Sometimes I even have a wheel or two off the ground. No problems in 20 years.

Trailers have stabilizing jacks but most motorhome jacks are more substantial and intended for levelling.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wet Bay Door Won't Open

The handle is connected to the latch mechanism with a wire cable held in place by a Allen head screw. I suspect the latch locks with the key, meaning when locked the handle will not move, unlocked the handle moves, however the movement is disconnected from the latch because the cable has fallen out of place. I don’t believe the jacks have anything to do with this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58639312779__CA8C7451-E971-4FFF-A0B4-0A93B8BE1348.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	255493  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #9
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
UPDATE: As much of a lousy day of traveling I had, I am feeling very grateful. I'm at Cherry Creek SP and called Transwest and there was no way to get in any time soon. They, however, recommended a mobile tech (Andrew of RV Repairmen) who used to work at Transwest and he was indeed my savior. The wire that goes in that allen wrenchy hole that pulls the black knob down had come out. He tried to use a slim jim to go up under the plastic covering the lock mechanism; however, when the wire is disconnected the place where you want to pull down spins. So ultimately he removed the pins from the door and then used a very long socket wrench to remove the kickplate thing (I'm sorry I don't what any of these things are called. I can take photos if anyone wants them for future reference.) and then put the pins back in and reattached the wire tightening it all up. He then made sure the paint of the door was all lined up. And so if you are ever in the Denver area and need a technician, I highly recommend Andrew.

As always, I thank all of you who contributed. This forum really has been a lifeline for me.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
[emoji846][emoji322]🥂
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
The handle is connected to the latch mechanism with a wire cable held in place by a Allen head screw. I suspect the latch locks with the key, meaning when locked the handle will not move, unlocked the handle moves, however the movement is disconnected from the latch because the cable has fallen out of place. I don’t believe the jacks have anything to do with this problem.

Ahhhh, I didn't see your post before I posted. So you nailed it! That was the problem. Thanks for posting the photo! [emoji4]
Old 08-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
It's unlocked. I tried the key and it works. When I lift the latch, it's like there is nothing happening. Tried the pushing in too. One word...ouch. Thanks 10 Fan for your suggestions.

Shout out to Neal and Stuart.... thank you. I have a feeling the little wire inside the black casing is not attached. Mobile tech coming out at 9 pm Mountain Time. [emoji1374]

I GUARANTEE you that’s what happened! I had the same thing and Stuart helped our tech and it was a bugger. We had to access the latch loop bolts from the adjacent compartment.

I cringe at the other bays that aren’t accessible,like the wet bay!

I actually posted a caution on this very topic of going through every lock assembly and making sure that cable lock set screw it’s tight...and I mean SUPER TIGHT!!! We had mine fixed, only to have the cable slip out again because the screw wasn’t tight enough.

Hope your tech has an easy and harmless fix.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
UPDATE: As much of a lousy day of traveling I had, I am feeling very grateful. I'm at Cherry Creek SP and called Transwest and there was no way to get in any time soon. They, however, recommended a mobile tech (Andrew of RV Repairmen) who used to work at Transwest and he was indeed my savior. The wire that goes in that allen wrenchy hole that pulls the black knob down had come out. He tried to use a slim jim to go up under the plastic covering the lock mechanism; however, when the wire is disconnected the place where you want to pull down spins. So ultimately he removed the pins from the door and then used a very long socket wrench to remove the kickplate thing (I'm sorry I don't what any of these things are called. I can take photos if anyone wants them for future reference.) and then put the pins back in and reattached the wire tightening it all up. He then made sure the paint of the door was all lined up. And so if you are ever in the Denver area and need a technician, I highly recommend Andrew.

As always, I thank all of you who contributed. This forum really has been a lifeline for me.
I would love to see some pictures and see how he got in so I have it in my back pocket in case I'm ever in the same situation.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Wet Bay Door Won't Open

Glad you found a great tech and got this nightmare solved. This is a reminder to us all to remove the black plastic covers over the latches and ensure the wire is secured.

Stuart and I discussed a few options when trying to help Renee over the phone.

1) Consider a crimp or solder something on the end of the wire/cable so it cannot fall through if the allen nut comes loose.

2) For critical bays (wet bay and shore power) consider adding a manual pull cable that can unlock the door. This can be a simple cable, wire terminal, etc attached to the cylinder the wire cable is connected to. From this a string or flexible stranded wire can go down and have a small ring stowed underneath that when pulled down it releases the latch.

We can all learn again from incidents like this. This is a vulnerable situation that we all need to learn from and know how this latch works and how Newmar has done a poor job of the design to not safety wire the wire to latch pull which can be catastrophic such as happened to Renee.

Enjoy the SP Renee, glad your day ended on a good note.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door