RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwhite View Post
Tom, first off let me say thank you for such detailed PDF's on how you installed your water softener. I finally had some time and was going to install mine but you have saved me so much time in coming up with a workable solution.
I do have a couple of questions using the external salt container:
1) on your Regen diagram, are you disconnecting supply at valve #2 and connecting to the input side of your separate salt container, then output of salt container to the Alt water input, and closing valve #5?
2) Since you have to run the salt/water mixture slowly back through the water softener for 30 minutes, how are you gauging the flow of water? Do you push a lot of water at first to get all the salt into the system?
Thanks again for your pictures and diagrams, great write up.

Forgot to ask, what size valves and PEX did you use to make up your panel? Looks like 3/4" but can't tell. I have 1/2" throughout.
If you did use 3/4", did you re-pipe from 1/2" to 3/4" from your hose reel input to the filter, to your panel then reduced back to 1/2"?
Rlwhite, my responses to your questions are below.

1. I attached a photo showing my current configuration at valve 2. No, I am not disconnecting any lines. I put a "Y" fitting on valve 2 and have a separate shutoff connection for the regen hose. If you look at the photo I uploaded in post #39, I modified the piping from what the PDF shows. I added a valve where the PDF shows a pressure guage and eliminated the compressed air/alt water input. The problem I had with the original configuration was that without a valve at the alternate input, everytime I went to connect a hose for air or water, I had to catch and drain the water in the pipes. The new valve at the base resolves that issue. Valve 5 does need to be closed when doing the regen to force the water through the filter cannister.

2. I've been using this water softener for close to 3 years and have a good idea when the regen process is complete. It isn't necessary to push a lot of water initially. That is the reason I did not install the filter cannister permanently. All you have to do is fill the cannister with salt and then turn it upside down with the water on. That pushes the salt into the water softener. Saw that on one of David Bott's videos. The other modification I made to the piping that differs from the PDF is that I have two ways to dispose of the regen and backwash waste. I can either route the waste to the gray tank via a 1/2" pex line or drain it via a hose. If you look close at the photo in post #39, you can see a waste line capped at the base and a green hose that goes up and toward the back. When I do a regen, I route the primary waste to the gray tank. I also connect a short hose to the waste line at the water softener and when I think the regen is complete, I drain some water into a cup and then taste it to determine if the salt taste is gone.

3. In my 2016, the main water line in my wet bay is 3/4" PEX so I just stayed with that. The only 1/2" I added is the waste line to the gray tank. From my hose reel, I connect to a watts pressure regulator and then distribute with 3/4" PEX. I attached the 3 way valves to the panel face with pop rivets and a metal back plate. All the piping for the 3 way valves and the water filter is permanently attached to the panel face. I connect to the coach system and the water softener supply and return lines with flexible hose using screw connectors. I coil several feet of slack on top of the gray tank so I can remove the panel to get to the connectors. See photo.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190206_151609.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	234883   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_091856.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	234884  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181221_152228 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	234885  

ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #72

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks Tom, appreciate your response. One of my complaints I've told Entegra about for using 1/2" PEX and not using a 3/4" PEX manifold to feed each fixture.

rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #73
Newmarian

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Neal Thanks on checking on it for me. Now I am thinking the "B" valve goes to the water pump.

And mystery solved on the missing water pump controller.

Thanks again.

Marc

Iíve confirmed as we suspected, bottom of FRESH (output) is A and then B goes to Water Pump input.

NealC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #74

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Iíve confirmed as we suspected, bottom of FRESH (output) is A and then B goes to Water Pump input.
Thank you.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hello Tom,
Where did you get your mountable 3 way valves? Hard to find one that is potable water safe and mountable.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #76

I got mine from Home Depot. I had to order it online. Amazon also has them. $30 each. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	237278
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #77

Here is the front of the panelClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	237397