Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What Are These Attachments on MY TV's

Two of my TV's have one of these attached to the front of the TV. What purpose do they serve? I have never seen one before and I'm not exactly sure how it is attached. The 3rd TV in the bedroom does not have one. It is an analog TV with a digital converter box.

One of my 1st renovation projects will be to convert the coach to HDTV. Anybody gone through that process. I believe two of the TV are HD, but the wiring is not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0433.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	89935  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #2

Is that some kind of an anti-theft device? Hmm, if so, why stuck to the front? Maybe an IR receiver for an add-on device? What does the other end of the cord lead to?
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Two of my TV's have one of these attached to the front of the TV. What purpose do they serve? I have never seen one before and I'm not exactly sure how it is attached. The 3rd TV in the bedroom does not have one. It is an analog TV with a digital converter box.

One of my 1st renovation projects will be to convert the coach to HDTV. Anybody gone through that process. I believe two of the TV are HD, but the wiring is not.
looks like a bug for the remote
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #4

IR remote. Will allow you to control the CD/Blue Ray player from the TV location even though the player may be located in another room.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
IR remote. Will allow you to control the CD/Blue Ray player from the TV location even though the player may be located in another room.
X2 sometimes referred to as an IR blaster. My new MH has those in front of the TV to operate the Blu Ray that is mounted behind the TV.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Scotty, once I converted our tv's to LED, we had HD on our front TV using KVH dome and Dish 211k receiver. Only SD on the rear and you had to watch the same channel on both. We changed to a Winegard Trav'ler Sat dish with Dish Hopper receiver on front with a Joey receiver in the bedroom. We now have HD on both TVs and can watch any available channel on either TV, just like home. No new wiring needed to be run to the bedroom.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
X2 sometimes referred to as an IR blaster. My new MH has those in front of the TV to operate the Blu Ray that is mounted behind the TV.
The small wires coming off the "IR Blaster" disappear behind the wall, so I'm not exactly sure where they go. I have a Pioneer SS, a Sony DVD, and some type of distribution device that controls up to 4 separate TV's. I'm still uncertain how it all ties together. I was able to get the KVH Tracvision up and running this weekend, but I am only getting SD to the TV. The H24 is a HD receiver.

So I have Direct TV in the house which means only $6.50/mo to add the new receiver for the RV. We have the Genie at home, which I assume is the similar the Hopper. I'm just not sure if that is compatible with this KVH Tracvision dome. I don't anticipate using the TV while driving, so IN-motion is not all that important for us
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Scotty, it is probably compatible with Direct. Worst case you would need an update and reprogramming. You will only be able to receive SD on Direct and the two tv's will not be able to access different channels. Don't know what kvh model you have, but if you need parts I have a 5 that I removed when I upgraded that you are welcome to. If you want to receive HD and confirm the tv's separately you will need either a Trav'ler or a portable dish.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

Scotty, I have a 2007 MADP and had the same questions. I dug into this a bit, and have more investigation to do. But the devices you are asking about are the IR Blasters and are connected to the back of the 4-TV controller you mentioned. As indicated, they allow use of the remotes for various devices when pointed at the TV. I have Dish at home and installed the Winegard Trav'ler system. So, the system in my MH is an extension of the main house system. I don't have an HD receive in the motorhome yet, but that is my next project. I do know that you have component wiring to the TV's which should allow for HD.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABergo View Post
Scotty, I have a 2007 MADP and had the same questions. I dug into this a bit, and have more investigation to do. But the devices you are asking about are the IR Blasters and are connected to the back of the 4-TV controller you mentioned. As indicated, they allow use of the remotes for various devices when pointed at the TV. I have Dish at home and installed the Winegard Trav'ler system. So, the system in my MH is an extension of the main house system. I don't have an HD receive in the motorhome yet, but that is my next project. I do know that you have component wiring to the TV's which should allow for HD.
Thanks Larry. That explains a lot. I am now wondering what the weak link is causing me not to get HD. Did the Traveller mount in the same location as the old dome? I was looking at the KVH dome last weekend and it has a pretty large footprint.

Mike the KVH is a 5. For now, we will only be in it about six weeks / year. It stays in a carport at home so no satellite. I think we will use it a year and see how important HD is to us. We get great local HD TV reception with the antenna.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Thanks Larry. That explains a lot. I am now wondering what the weak link is causing me not to get HD. Did the Traveller mount in the same location as the old dome? I was looking at the KVH dome last weekend and it has a pretty large footprint.
The KVH dome ( or ANY dome ) is preventing you from enjoying DirecTV HD.

The Travler SK-SWM3 would allow you to use any of the current HD receivers, including your Genie. You would also have the functionality of the DVR, since the Travler can access all DTV satellites simultaneously.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

Scotty, I agree with Don. I've had the Trav'ler for some time now. It was on my previous coach, a 2000 DutchStar. I liked it so much that I had it transferred to my 07 MA when I took delivery. It did not completely cover the footprint of the KVH but they used a roof sealant to cover the old openings......which weren't much. The Trav'ler is bullet proof. It routinely locks on the 3 satellites necessary for full Dish reception. I plan to install an HD receiver next month.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
The KVH dome ( or ANY dome ) is preventing you from enjoying DirecTV HD.

The Travler SK-SWM3 would allow you to use any of the current HD receivers, including your Genie. You would also have the functionality of the DVR, since the Travler can access all DTV satellites simultaneously.
I love it and will probably have to look into it. I noticed in the video that new cables are being ran into the RV. That seems like a daunting task. My dome already has 3 cables leading to it. Is it not feasible to utilize the existing cables or are they insufficient? My KVH interface is in a front cabinet above the driver's seat, but the receiver and other electronics are above the fridge.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:45 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When mine was installed they ran new cables. Didn't seem too be a big deal. The whole install, removing KVH and installing Trav'ler, only took an hour or two.