Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good choices, I decided to try a lower priced option first before I spent a lot to make sure I was happy with the placement. I also wanted one that I could move from my car to the RV and back easily.

Upgraded AUTO-VOX WiFi Dash Cam D6 Pro FHD 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Camera with Super Night Vision, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, 300°Rotate Angle. About $90.00

Biggest challenge was powering it, I bought a wire tap to use power from the rearview mirror but that was not plug and play, and did not power while off. I found another option that was fused and had protection from draining the batttery, this required more work but now my camera stays on when parked, but I trust ( hope ) my car will start after sitting for awhile.

AUTO-VOX Car Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Low Profile mini Fuse Adapter Car Circuit Fuse Holder Compatible with D6 Pro/D7/Mini 0806 Car Video Recorder dash camera All Other Micro USB Port Device-12.74ft

Picture is great, but not nearly as nice as the one Turbopilot demo'd.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Not a recommendation for a specific dash cam, but a great site when considering one... https://dashcamtalk.com/. I used this site's advice when I bought my Itronics ITB-100HD baack in January 2013. I switch it between the MH and the daily driver, and it's still going strong.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #31

I been using a rexing V1 for about a year now in two vehicles and has performed fine for me.

After alot of research 2 main points became apparent...
1 you really want a capacitor shut down and not a battery that wont handle the extreme temps these cams can see on a windshield while sitting..
2 the storage card has to be a true high speed decent storage card or there will be issues that arent always apparent unless you check frequently

One other point if you use a glass mount make sure to use 3m body and trim mold tape not the foam junk many come with...that stuff will fail from the heat, just a matter of time.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
For those with the Garmin such as the 65W I had that think you're continually recording video, you may want to test this. I may be wrong but I thought it only recorded video when it detected a potential incident. If you want continuous recording such as while traveling for scenery, etc. then you can enable time lapse, which took a picture every X seconds/minutes and combined those together for a choppy video of your travel. No thanks. So I don't think it's working how some of you think it's working and I'd hate for an incident to occur so fast you don't get what you need on video. Again, I could be wrong, try to pull up video from yesterday on your Garmin Dashcam and see what you can find.

With the Blackvue it's continually taking 1 minute videos. I can use my smartphone, over the cloud, and find any time period and view or download the video of interest. If I want to see something yesterday at 12:04 PM I can. I put the 128 GB card in it so it will auto overwrite when no more space is available by automatically removing the older videos.

Long story longer, validate how you think your cam is working for you. This is why I did not like the Garmin.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
For those with the Garmin such as the 65W I had that think you're continually recording video, you may want to test this. I may be wrong but I thought it only recorded video when it detected a potential incident. If you want continuous recording such as while traveling for scenery, etc. then you can enable time lapse, which took a picture every X seconds/minutes and combined those together for a choppy video of your travel. No thanks. So I don't think it's working how some of you think it's working and I'd hate for an incident to occur so fast you don't get what you need on video. Again, I could be wrong, try to pull up video from yesterday on your Garmin Dashcam and see what you can find.

With the Blackvue it's continually taking 1 minute videos. I can use my smartphone, over the cloud, and find any time period and view or download the video of interest. If I want to see something yesterday at 12:04 PM I can. I put the 128 GB card in it so it will auto overwrite when no more space is available by automatically removing the older videos.

Long story longer, validate how you think your cam is working for you. This is why I did not like the Garmin.
Neil,

I have the Garmin 55 version. It does continuously record while it is on (mine is on 24/7 even when in storage) , breaking up the video into individual files. I'd have to look, but I believe it is based on file size and not time. Once the SD card fills, it will overwrite FIFO, but with a 64GB card it takes a full day of driving. If there is an event detected, it will automatically save the video file off to a different folder for archiving so it isn't part of the FIFO algorithm.

The cloud aspect is a very nice feature of the BlackVue, but I am not sure I can justify the $300 increase in cost. I can connect to the Garmin via WiFi or pull the SD card and view it through my laptop.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Neil,

I have the Garmin 55 version. It does continuously record while it is on (mine is on 24/7 even when in storage) , breaking up the video into individual files. I'd have to look, but I believe it is based on file size and not time. Once the SD card fills, it will overwrite FIFO, but with a 64GB card it takes a full day of driving. If there is an event detected, it will automatically save the video file off to a different folder for archiving so it isn't part of the FIFO algorithm.

The cloud aspect is a very nice feature of the BlackVue, but I am not sure I can justify the $300 increase in cost. I can connect to the Garmin via WiFi or pull the SD card and view it through my laptop.
Glad to hear. I personally did not want to miss an event should I need evidence if the device detected the incident too late.

Another nice thing about Blackvue is I can control what is displayed in the video overlays, i.e. hide my speed! I can also control whether the mic is on or off so my colorful dialog of an event or analysis of someone else's driving can or cannot be included, so I have the mic off
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #35

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I had 2 Rexing Dash Cams one in each car, when I was in an accident I pulled the card out to find that it stopped recording a month back. That one went in the trash I bought a BlackVue 750. The one thing I would recommend is to get one that you can get the video off via wifi or Bluetooth. It makes getting the video a lot more convenient.

A side note about the Rexing, I still have one and it is still working (last time a took the card out to check), but I find I look at the video from the BlackVue more offen due to smart phone app.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Glad to hear. I personally did not want to miss an event should I need evidence if the device detected the incident too late.

Another nice thing about Blackvue is I can control what is displayed in the video overlays, i.e. hide my speed! I can also control whether the mic is on or off so my colorful dialog of an event or analysis of someone else's driving can or cannot be included, so I have the mic off
Yup, I thought I had turned audio off on the Garmin, only to replay some colorful language that was recorded in heavy traffic
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #37

Garmin Dezel

Great gps and dash cam in one unit
Trinityfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #38

I use my GoPro since I already had it. Set it for a one hour loop. If I see something interesting I stop/start recording so that video is saved. Great image quality.

The Owl dash cam interests me but a little more than I want to spend on one. I like the feature set it has.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #39

Rexing is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdixdragon View Post
I been using a rexing V1 for about a year now in two vehicles and has performed fine for me.

After alot of research 2 main points became apparent...
1 you really want a capacitor shut down and not a battery that wont handle the extreme temps these cams can see on a windshield while sitting..
2 the storage card has to be a true high speed decent storage card or there will be issues that arent always apparent unless you check frequently

One other point if you use a glass mount make sure to use 3m body and trim mold tape not the foam junk many come with...that stuff will fail from the heat, just a matter of time.

I also use Rexing and the main reason for me (not too many think about) is customer support, prior to the Rexing I had Falcon Zero, it was a good camera, but then it started having issues and customer support was non exsistant, $200 down the toilet, I called Rexing prior to purchasing and they answered the phone and answered a few questions N/P excellent camera
RichLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #40
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Been using a GoPro for years in the coach, in my truck and on my 4 wheeler. High res, records audio and water resistant. Records continuously in a loop.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Dash Cam

Here's twist. The Rand McNally OverDryve 7RV GPS unit has a built in dash cam. For about the same price as the Blackvue, you would get IMHO a superior GPS AND the dash cam. It's also a tablet, programmed with your RV information to prevent losing the roof, can connect to a hot spot or wifi, not to mention route it's audio through your in-dash stereo. Just a thought.

I personally have had little but grief using the built in Garmin in my Kenwood stereo, so I've opted to get an outboard GPS...that just happens to have the dash camera.

If interested, the best price is at technorv.com.
tebeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichLNY View Post
I also use Rexing and the main reason for me (not too many think about) is customer support, prior to the Rexing I had Falcon Zero, it was a good camera, but then it started having issues and customer support was non exsistant, $200 down the toilet, I called Rexing prior to purchasing and they answered the phone and answered a few questions N/P excellent camera

I also like Rexing. Have one in each of our cars the two camera model. For the coach I bought from Alibaba a very nice HD camera for about $68. Works well and I like it.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash