Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #43

Outside the box here, I re purposed an extra android smartphone (galaxy S4) unloaded all the apps and put on DailyRoads Voyager free app. Has done very well by my wants a dash cam would do
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #44

Product Support

There are LOTS of good Dash cams on the market, BUT remember, get one that has good customer support, I had a camera that came with a 5 year warranty (Falcon Zero), what a joke that turned out to be, I had the camera for under a year and I started to have problems with it recording or staying on, I tried to reach out to them via Phone, Email no reply, I contacted the BBB and they attempted to contact them, nothing, I received an email from the BBB that says (we tried to contact them and they did NOT respond to our request, if you would like to pursue this matter, we advise you to contact the states attorney general) I did not pursue any further, no time for that, so my next Dashcam (Rexing V1 3G) I called the customer service first and asked questions and I called several times and they answered the phone each and every time, so I purchased the Rexing camera and I love it, it works perfectly, It recorded an accident that I had with a deer and stored it in a separate folder on the SD card so it wouldn't get written over. SO if your going to invest in any Dash cam make sure they support there Camera.
RichLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #45

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Outside the box here, I re purposed an extra android smartphone (galaxy S4) unloaded all the apps and put on DailyRoads Voyager free app. Has done very well by my wants a dash cam would do
Great minds think alike. I did the same thing but used AutoBoy Blackbox app. On a samsung Note4 and put in 128 gb sd card and it is awesome. Not to mention free. Did I mention it was free??
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a SpyTec A118-C camera...picture quality was good but returned it as it generated RFI in the middle of the 2 meter ham band!

I've got an Alfawise G70 on order (https://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_...ml?wid=1433363). It ticks all the right boxes...I'll post an update after I finally get it and have used it for awhile
JRW-NAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I just got the one camera, I really didn't want to mess with running a rear camera wire.

I put the camera just below the tint line on the windshield and ran the cable left then down the pillar, it's all hidden and works fantastic! I can't see it, it does have voice feedback which is nice, it has a blinking light on the forward side so it acts as a security device too, it's always on and always recording. Great system!
Neal, Did you use the mount that came with your camera, i.e., sticks directly to the window? I am a complete ignoramus about how to install it so I may have to get professional help. when you ran it left and down the pillar, for example, where did you connect it to power? Sorry for the probably really dumb question.
WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRover View Post
Neal, Did you use the mount that came with your camera, i.e., sticks directly to the window? I am a complete ignoramus about how to install it so I may have to get professional help. when you ran it left and down the pillar, for example, where did you connect it to power? Sorry for the probably really dumb question.
Also, along the same line, I may get the 2 camera option, but will point the second camera inside the coach just below the forward facing camera so I can monitor the inside of the coach. When coach is in storage, it is among many other indoor stored coaches. Will I be able to monitor it remotely?
WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #49

Depending on where you mount the Blackvue camera, you still only need one and when you want to video the inside there is an unlock feature that allows you to spin the camera in the opposite direction.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #50

I'm using a Viofo A119S. Picked based on reviews, price, and that it runs on a super capacitor in place of a battery. 128gb SD card records a full day of travel.

I wanted the cam primarily for use when towing, so a second rear facing cam wouldn't do much for me.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #51

NOT 100% Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Great minds think alike. I did the same thing but used AutoBoy Blackbox app. On a samsung Note4 and put in 128 gb sd card and it is awesome. Not to mention free. Did I mention it was free??

NOTHING is free in this world my friend, if your NOT paying for the product, you are the product. This is NOT a reliable way to video, I've tried this on a few apps, in my car and for me it didn't work good, the Rexing camera I have, is a no brainer, its set up so when I get into the motorhome, start the engine, the camera comes on automatically, also when you hit something or something hits you, it stores that part of the recording (records in 2 min increments) into a separate folder so it doesn't get recorded over (I know from personal experience) its a small price to pay for this insurance policy.
RichLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
I'm using a Viofo A119S. Picked based on reviews, price, and that it runs on a super capacitor in place of a battery. 128gb SD card records a full day of travel.

I wanted the cam primarily for use when towing, so a second rear facing cam wouldn't do much for me.
I have one of those in my wife's car and it has worked great going on 2 years now.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #53

Dash Cam Brand

I also use a DOD, I have a LS470, this camera records your GPS location, this is very useful if you record your trip and you want to know when looking at a video exactly where a particular scene was taken. It records in 1080p or 720p, it has a great angle of view and is easy to navigate through the menu compare to other dashcams. The imagine recorded is unbelievably steady even in a rough running vehicle like a 3/4 ton pickup. I have tried others and wasted my money, this cam is it for me.
Splurge, you won't regret it!

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dod-hd-dash-camera-ls470w/12908000

This link is just so you can see the specifications of the camera, I bought mine online for cheaper a few years back.
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tried nthe Yi and could not hear the audible alert signal. The volume is not adjustable; it is off or on.
Frankg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRover View Post
Neal, I would love to hear how you did this as well. Also, did you install the BlackVue power magic pro? Did you tap into fuses for power or just usb/12 volt connection? I will be installing mine in my new 2019 Dutchstar.
DutchStar JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I mounted mine direct to the window. I placed it up high, so it is not visible from the interior. I then ran the power cord to the console over the driver, using some of the 3m cable holders that came with the camera.

The 12v power in the driver cabinet is continous, so I enabled the parking mode of the dashcam. It only records on impact or motion.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash