Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What Dash Cam do you use?

Looking for a Dash Cam to use in my Dutch Star.
Is there any dash cam that also can record the side views of the coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the BlackVue 750S. It has lots of features and very good quality. The biggest plus is there is NO SCREEN, and you can use Wifi to view recordings or live video.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use a brand called DOD. At the time of purchase about four years ago, it was a top of the line unit. The features I wanted was HD video, Time/Date stamping of incidents, good nighttime capabilities and long recording time (8 hours).

The DOD takes great video. When we drive into places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc, the images are of such high quality, they can be kept as part of the trip documentation.

Mine is wired to the ignition and starts and stops with the engine running.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

we use the KDLinks X1 dash cam.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
Looking for a Dash Cam to use in my Dutch Star.
Is there any dash cam that also can record the side views of the coach?
I originally had the Garmin 65W and do not recommend it. I got the Blackvue 900S 4K a few months ago and LOVE IT! Features, quality, read up on it. I would buy it again.

Get the 16 GB version and then separately buy a 128 GB SD card, much cheaper that way.

https://amzn.to/2trUfR3
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I originally had the Garmin 65W and do not recommend it. I got the Blackvue 900S 4K a few months ago and LOVE IT! Features, quality, read up on it. I would buy it again.

Get the 16 GB version and then separately buy a 128 GB SD card, much cheaper that way.

Did you get the 2 camera option? If you have the 2 channel. What do you do with the 2nd channel?

Where did you install the camera? Up hi or on the dash?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I just got the one camera, I really didn't want to mess with running a rear camera wire.

I put the camera just below the tint line on the windshield and ran the cable left then down the pillar, it's all hidden and works fantastic! I can't see it, it does have voice feedback which is nice, it has a blinking light on the forward side so it acts as a security device too, it's always on and always recording. Great system!
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have the Garmin 55 and have had good luck with it for that past 18 months. The video in the evening / night is clear at 1440p and with the 64 GB SD card installed, it can record for hours before overwriting. It's all a compromise based on quality vs. cost.

Don't know of any out of the box that record the sides of the RV though.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Neal, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Garmin 65W. Why don't you recommend it. Glad I haven't purchased yet. I will definitely study the Backvue.
WallyRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #10

I have several YI’s, and I love them. Has all the bells and whistles - 1080p, loop recording, etc. Have a screen and are also WiFi. Price is very, very good.

YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C89GCHU..._-VXyCbXF751F4
Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyRover View Post
Neal, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Garmin 65W. Why don't you recommend it. Glad I haven't purchased yet. I will definitely study the Backvue.
It only seemed to record when there was an traffic situation that triggered it, not impressed with when it records or how long it records or even the picture taking features. It ended up dying on me after a about 16-18 months, sounds stopped, Garmin said it's out of warranty, sorry.

Blackvue is continually recording, takes great videos and pictures, you can note a clock time and find the video later which is great. I did this not too long ago with a bridge height warning. I was able to find the video with ease based on date/time. Just a fantastic all around device, great app, I can view video remotely from my phone such as while it's in storage, I peeked in on Cummins from time to time when it was getting serviced, if someone is out driving it you can actually watch it all from your phone. It's a must have!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #12

I've had a garmin 20 for years that I had hardwired in the motorhome and toad so I could use it in either vehicle. This year I decided to buy another for the motorhome and leave the 20 in the car. Very satisfied with the 20 so I went with the newer version, the 45. Very happy with it.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The BackVue dash cams (700, 750 and 900) look like nice units, but they are spendy IMHO. We still haven't made a decision on a dash cam...or, even, whether we want one at all...but I can buy three of the Garmin 45s for the price of the BackVue 900S. Yikes! Are they really that good?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The BackVue dash cams (700, 750 and 900) look like nice units, but they are spendy IMHO. We still haven't made a decision on a dash cam...or, even, whether we want one at all...but I can buy three of the Garmin 45s for the price of the BackVue 900S. Yikes! Are they really that good?

TJ

I’m sorry TJ. You made me chuckle and nearly choke on my pop tart. You have a MADP correct?

Tags
dash