Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Photos of battery tray for option with residential refrigerator and queen bed with bedroom slide in.

Your California king will give you about 6" to walk around the foot of the bed and you'll have to work out some way to fold it with the slide in.
I like the battery tray. Maybe they'll change that up for the 2018. Or maybe I can have the wife call and cry or something Seriously, I'll probably deal with Newmar to see what they can do for me. Maybe I can get the tray and batteries but not the residential fridge.

It's possible the dealer didn't put the slide all the way in. Like I said, it's not big deal. If we could use our mattress, we would. If not, we'd buy a new one.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 AM   #16

The California King is 4" longer than a standard king but also 4" narrower. We have the a 2014 3103 with the standard king. The end of the mattress presses firmly against the drawers when the slide is in. From 2014 to 2018, the chassis may have changed, but the overall width remains 101.5". I would be shocked if the California king would fit. As mentioned before, you would have to fold it somehow while the slide is in motion. If you were successful in that regard, the mattress would most likely rest against the mirrored door to the wardrobe cabinets, making them un-openable during travel.
also remember that these are RV king and queen mattresses. Some manufacturers' dimensions for their mattresses are not sticks and bricks dimensions. I have not measured ours.

Good luck with your order.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The California King is 4" longer than a standard king but also 4" narrower. We have the a 2014 3103 with the standard king. The end of the mattress presses firmly against the drawers when the slide is in. From 2014 to 2018, the chassis may have changed, but the overall width remains 101.5". I would be shocked if the California king would fit. As mentioned before, you would have to fold it somehow while the slide is in motion. If you were successful in that regard, the mattress would most likely rest against the mirrored door to the wardrobe cabinets, making them un-openable during travel.
also remember that these are RV king and queen mattresses. Some manufacturers' dimensions for their mattresses are not sticks and bricks dimensions. I have not measured ours.

Good luck with your order.
Thanks! That's exactly what we were thinking. It's too long. We're just going off of what we saw during a real quick look at the 3013 and it's very likely the surly salesman didn't close the slide completely (not Tom Lindstrom). We might test it our once we get our coach to see if it can work but chances are we'll just sell the Cal king and buy a similar mattress in the correct size or maybe even a queen to gain the extra room.

We wouldn't buy a used mattress but some people don't mind. It looks new and it's an air bed so no collapsed springs but still...
Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #18

One thing I wish I did was to ask about mounting the radio on the passenger side of the dash. I won't mess with it while I'm driving and the DW has a hard time seeing the dial. While it's a decent radio it's operation is every bit as intuitive as a Rubik's cube.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a remote control for the radio.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We also got the tile extended into the bedroom, which is an important option, IMO. We had the dinette done in ultra-leather, although that may be standard these days.

Agree with earlier poster that 50A system is essential. I also wish we would have gotten the extra insulation and double pane windows. I only thought about insulation against the COLD, which we don't camp in. Didn't realize it would help with the HOT, which we do camp in more than I'd like.

The side cameras I hate, and wish I could rip them out. In 10,000 miles they have never provided any information which I didn't already have from watching the road and mirrors. And they take away the rear view camera which I like even when turning.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
There is a remote control for the radio.
Thanks for the tip. I forgot it was in the box. DW used it today.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
We also got the tile extended into the bedroom, which is an important option, IMO. We had the dinette done in ultra-leather, although that may be standard these days.

Agree with earlier poster that 50A system is essential. I also wish we would have gotten the extra insulation and double pane windows. I only thought about insulation against the COLD, which we don't camp in. Didn't realize it would help with the HOT, which we do camp in more than I'd like.

The side cameras I hate, and wish I could rip them out. In 10,000 miles they have never provided any information which I didn't already have from watching the road and mirrors. And they take away the rear view camera which I like even when turning.
Yeah the tile is definitely on our list. Wife has asthma and the less carpet, the better. It just traps allergens and in a motorhome that is going to be out in the wild, you don't want that.

We are planning on the 50A/dual AC/5500 gennie package, double pane windows and the extra insulation. I wonder about the 110v tank heaters. Are those worth it? Seems like 110v would make them pretty much useless when boondocking.

Interesting take on the side cameras. I've driven delivery vehicles, a big Ram pickup and towed 25 foot TT's and boats. Mirrors are low tech but they work. They want $833 for the cameras. You've given me something to think about.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Did You Change When You Ordered Your Bay Star?

The side cameras give you a view you can't get from the mirrors. I back into a driveway with low stone walls on both sides and the mirror isn't quite enough.

It would be better if you could switch between cameras when in reverse, but that would require some wiring changes to the monitor trigger inputs. I think there is a setting on the monitor for trigger delay that should provide faster switching between the cameras when using the turn signals. If that works, putting a switch in the reverse gear signal line should allow switching between cameras quickly in reverse as well.

They also make a monitor that displays multiple views on one screen, but that will cost you.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The trigger delay must be at least 1 second or the camera changes as the flashers flash.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The simplest thing for me to do is to install a switch in the signal line for camera 1, which is tied to the backup lights/reverse switch. With my added switch open, the camera would not get the backup signal and the turn signals would select the right, left, or rear cameras.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #26

I'd definitely want to be able to select the camera of my choosing for any given situation.