Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What Does Spartan 42 point check include?

G'morning:

Say, does anyone know what is covered in the Spartan/Cummins "42 Point Check" when getting service up in Charlotte, Mich.? We're scheduled to be in Nappanee for some work on our Newmar on June 20th, but are also scheduled in at the Spartan/Cummins shop up in Charlotte a week before. We live and travel full time in our rig (Spartan chassi/Cummins ISM 500) which has just under 30,000 miles and although we have no specific problem we wanted chassi and power plant gone through, and any required servicing brought up to date. Some have said they'll try to have you include service items not really required, and not being mechanics, we just don't know what's worthwhile having done, and what isn't. Anybody have any good guidance??

Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Steve,
I have a Spartan chassis and I know of several friends that went to Spartan for the 42 point check and most ended up spending around $1500 for maintenance service. It really depends on what you need done, Oil change? Trans or coolant change, hydraulic fluid change or wheel alignment. Spartan has a list of PM items that should be done at various milages and at 30,000 there is a list of items that need to be done. Everyone was pleased with their Spartan service and said their motorhome drove like it was brand new again and was money well spent.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chickadee,
You know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. The 42 point check is when you pay them to do the work they will do for free. When your coach is in for service they will check everything possible to ensure as much of your credit limit as possible is spent at their shop. I hope there is no cost to actually have them do the 42 point check. That would be really obvious highway robbery.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

I had the 42 point check done to our 03 DSDP last year while there for ball joint replacement. The unit was new to us and I wanted to make sure there wasn't any impending issues. They found nothing during the check, which was good news to me. I've heard the stories about them wanting to get you for every dime, but didn't get that feeling while I was there. I was very pleased with the work done, it wasn't cheap, but I had the confidence that it was done correctly....
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

Three years ago I had Spartan's 44-point inspection performed on my 2005 Dutch Star. It was listed as one hour labor and the charge was $80. The technician found three items that needed correcting and the repairs were included in the $80 charge. He found a twisted right front brake line (fixed), a loose AC belt (tightened), and an AC hose rubbing on CAC clamps (put rubber around hose). Below are the 44 items checked.

UNDER VEHICLE INSPECTION
Check engine for oil leaks
Check transmission for leaks
Check differential and axle for leaks
Check drive line and U joints & slip yokes
Check springs and U bolts
Check air bags for damage
Check exhaust system
Check brake hoses and lines
Check front shocks and mounting hardware
Check rear shocks and mouting hardware
Check steering system components

ENGINE COMPARTMENT INSPECTION
Check hose condition
Check all belts for condition & adjustment
Check fan assembly
Check condition of radiator & fan shroud

CHECK ALL FLUID LEVELS
Engine oil
Transmission oil
Brake fluid (when necessary)
Hydrulic fluid
Coolant and DCA level
Rear differential fluid level
Front hubs for proper level

CONDITION OF TIRES
Left front
Left reaar inner
Left rear outer
Right front
Right rear inner
Right rear outer

CHECK AIR SYSTEM
Check leveling valve operation
Check air dryer operation
Check air tanks for moisture

CHECK FUEL SYSTEM
Check for leaks

VISUAL CONDITION OF BRAKES
Front linings
Rear linings
Check brake adjustment
Check slack adjuster operation

OTHER CHECKS
Check air filter minder
Back up alarm

EXTERNAL LIGHTS
Head lights
Brake lights
Turn signal RH
Turn signal LH
Hazzard lights
Marker lights
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You guys are great!

Norm, thanks for that detailed list. I've been stumblin around and worrying about all these issues listed and it's good to know they'll be checked.

Thanks again.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, as GaryKD said, the check is done for 1 reason-money for them. Now that being said I had the 40+ check done and spent over $1200.00 at Spartan and was very happy with what they did for us, icluding a smoother ride [shocks]and other items.
Just remember to ask WHY when they say you NEED this done and you SHOULD have this done.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote