Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What grill do you have for your elect coach?

We grill a lot when we are in our coach and we've always had a propane tank but our new coach is electric with no propane and I was wondering what everyone is doing for a grill that has a electric coach?
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

We have a 5# tank we have carried on MH for yrs. Some use them on boats as well.
Fairly light and will do a lot of grilling before refilling. We always carry of couple 1# bottles to get us through when it runs out.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
Ditto used a #5 in the old newmar and kept it when we got the new phaeton ...we actually do have propane in the new one but it's just as easy to use the 5 pounder and our grill. She has no quick connect that I'm aware of .
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Most Q grills from Weber come with a one pound throw away propane tank. If you buy an adapter for it you can use any size tank that's convenient.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Most Q grills from Weber come with a one pound throw away propane tank. If you buy an adapter for it you can use any size tank that's convenient.
That's the grill we had on our last coach and we loved it. When I went to the Weber website I saw they had a electric grill that looks identical that had good reviews and we may just try one of those initially and see how it works but were still not sure...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The Weber electric grill is quite heavy (30# for the small one) and draws a hefty 13A. With only a 6' cord, a very heavy extension cord will be needed, and it will need to be kept fairly short. From my perspective, the electric grill would be a non-starter. YMMV.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We have a small propane grill that uses the small bottles and we love it. It works well, but can be hard to light on a breezy day.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The Weber electric grill is quite heavy (30# for the small one) and draws a hefty 13A. With only a 6' cord, a very heavy extension cord will be needed, and it will need to be kept fairly short. From my perspective, the electric grill would be a non-starter. YMMV.

TJ
TJ thanks for the info and busting my bubble... lol 13A its like plugging a A/C in...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sorry to "bust your bubble!"

While we don't have an all-electric coach, we do carry a small propane grill on board. It is an O-Grill 500. It is still relatively heavy at 23#, but carries and stores easily. We just use the throw-away propane cylinders that can frequently be found on sale for a pittance. A cylinder is usually good for at least a half-dozen cooking sessions.

I like the non-stick cast-iron grill (a major reason why the unit is 23#) for even cooking. You can get it pretty hot quickly and it puts a nice sear on a steak. The O-Grill 500 has plenty of heat capability and you do need to turn things like chicken frequently in order to keep it from burning, even on the low setting.

Good luck in your search.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
We use a Green Mountain tailgater pellet smoker. Works on 12VDC. Smokes and grills.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #11

I use the Cooks Electric grill... not sold anymore. it is OK. If I were buying now, I would consider this one.
https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/searing-grill-25360

I also have the masterbulilt portable electric smoker.

A heavy duty (20A) extension cord is needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I built a kitchen in one of the bays in my Ellipse. I have a propane Coleman grill that works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170420_182735_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	179988  
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:14 AM   #13

We use a baby Q that works fine for up to 4 or 5 people. Ended up buying a Viking fiberglass tank Like this that is very light plus you can see the level of propane in the tank. Downside is a lot of places won't refill a fiber tank because of some issues with overseas cheaper tanks that had leakage when they first hit the market, but ours has been great. I can always find someone that will refill it.
As a side note, we started with the small throw away tanks but found if you don't use all of it the first time, it can leak while the grill is in the bay if you leave it attached or even if you remove it. On our first coach it set off the sniffer alarm thank God or we could have been in serious trouble.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 AM   #14

I've been using an Aussie electric grill since we got the all electric coach in 2013. I use it 5-6 times a week , about 6 months of the year. Works pretty good.
It's like this on in the link, except, I don't have the rotisserie or the viewing window. It fits nicely in a large plastic container that I keep in the bay
https://www.bbqguys.com/meco/tableto...yABEgKbEvD_BwE