Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
What is level in a coach?

It seems difficut to know when the coach is really level. I dont think I can rely on the level indication on the HWH control panel since I have seen it show level, however, the coach appears to be out of level visually, from outside the coach.

I am continually trying to find some surface inside the coach that I can rely on to be level, and then use that surface as a guide to establish a level coach and then install a set of level indicators for front to back and side to side.

I have used the shelves in the refridgerator to set level, but then find indications that they werent truely level. I have used water in the sink to establish level, and a carpenters level on the back bumper and on the front generator slide-out. I've used a level on the counters and every where else that I can think of to establish level. No matter what I use, something else indicated that the coach was not level.

I dont think I can rely on a parking lot to be level and then set level accordingly.

So, my question is: Has anyone found a sure way to establish level?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When the HWH panel says it's level, put a level on the floor. Is it close? If so, ignore everything else. I would never go by a visual inspection from outside.

joe
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Putting a level on the floor is a good way, but as Joe notes other spots may not be exactly level.

The current recommendation is, if you're comfortable, then you're level and if doors don't swing open or closed then you're level.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would do the same or kitchen counter, your slides may not look level from outside because of the slide rails are sloped.
I may slope a side rail to one side so wife hasn't a big step to get in coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #5

We occasionally us a golf ball that we keep in the drawers at the dash just for that purpose. It will quickly tell you left / right / front / back. However, the HWH usually have it right.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Also if the sensor for HWH is out of wack there is a thread in Quick Tips by "Max H" on how to adjust the round sensor under coach.

Level adjust
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use DW as the final say. When she says "it's level" ...........it is! Nuff said.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I am not sure if the rest of the MH is level but I strive for all the doors to stay put when open or closed. This includes the fridge. It frustrates my wife to no end to chase the fridge door when preparing a meal. I also tend to dip the passenger rear side just enough to let the water run off the roof there to avoid the puddle by the door and this raises the head of the bed slightly as well. With all this said I then calibrate the panel every so often. and ignore all other visual ques.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #9

On my last two Dutch Stars I found the kitchen floor and the countertop to be the same level. I used a level on the floor and operated the jacks to get the motorhome perfectly level then installed two levels in the drivers area. I put one on the lower part of the dash for side to side and one near the left arm rest for front to back.

When I pull into a campsite I watch both levels and find the most level spot to stop. Then I level the motorhome with the jack watching those two levels.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
According to the manual...

My manual says that the inside bottom of the refrigerator should be level. I checked it and then looked for another place near my level control so that I could manually level by watching a bubble level. It just happened that the shelf above the control was as level as the fridge bottom. After all, the fridge is what is supposed to be level. I level manually so that I can first let the air bags deflate and then make sure each jack is in contact with the ground to keep the coach stable to prevent it moving when someone walks in the coach and then fine tune. Joe
Old 06-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I've found my kitchen counter to be most reliable as a level reference. My floors are way off! After leveling to the floor, I can walk out side and visually see the couch is leaning toward the driver's side, it's very noticable from outside!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
To calibrate the HWH, I manually level using the average between the floor, ceiling and counters as a guideline. I then check the doors. I then add just a slight touch to the front to keep water from draining via the road-side front channel, over the service compartment.

Then, adjust HWH and call it a day!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Has anyone found a sure way to establish level?
When DW says it is "ok" with her, it is ok with me ...she opens the shower and throne room doors and checks for any movement. As far as I am concerned, if the cold wet shower door won't rudely attack warm bare skin when I am geting in or out of the shower, we are level!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I use this thing RV EZ Level - Cool battery powered RV leveling device it never misses and doesn't require a level surface to calibrate.
Watch the Video, it really works like they show.
Dick