Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
What is this? City water inlet mystery fitting

We've been having issues with low water pressure in the coach since we took delivery. Multiple people at Newmar have told me there is no built in pressure regulator. We just arrived at our South Carolina park where the city supply is notoriously high (120 to 135 lbs) so I have a pressure regulator installed ahead of the coach, currently set to 80 lbs. Eliminating the whole house filter element increased the flow/pressure enough so the auto fill function would work, we are using our pump and on-board water tank to be able to maintain reasonable pressure for showers, the washer and such.

This mystery brass fitting is in the incoming city water supply line just as it comes out of the hose reel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	what is it.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	131584  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We've been having issues with low water pressure in the coach since we took delivery. Multiple people at Newmar have told me there is no built in pressure regulator. We just arrived at our South Carolina park where the city supply is notoriously high (120 to 135 lbs) so I have a pressure regulator installed ahead of the coach, currently set to 80 lbs. Eliminating the whole house filter element increased the flow/pressure enough so the auto fill function would work, we are using our pump and on-board water tank to be able to maintain reasonable pressure for showers, the washer and such.

This mystery brass fitting is in the incoming city water supply line just as it comes out of the hose reel.
Backflow preventer. (Or one way valve) To keep water pump from going out the hose when water pump is running.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Kegger inlet connection!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Looks more like a pressure regulator to me
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
This is what I normally think of as a backflow preventer

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...flow+preventer
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

Things I'm seeing:
It uses "Sharkbite" PEX connectors. If you push down on the tan part with a crescent wrench (or similar) and pull on the PEX line at the same time, the PEX will come out of the fitting.
There are screw type hose clamps on the PEX to plastic fittings, with a different type of clamp used on the reinforced hose.
I doubt there are any flow direction arrows on the body of the brass fitting. It appears to be a straight through connector.
My take is that there once was something there that somebody removed and they purchased a Sharkbite 1/2" to 1/2" connector and a couple hose clamps from Home Depot or Lowe's to reconnect the factory lines.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Jay,

It is a backflow preventer. But it could be the source of the problem if it is faulty or has something in the valve. Take it out and use a plastic barbed union in it's place to test.

Hope all is well.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I asked a Newmar factory service technician about this device (3 weeks ago while at the factory during a CPU) and he said it was a back-flow preventer.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
JMonroe

That sure looks like a water pressure regulator to me...but whether it's a regulator or a check valve/back flow preventer it could be causing your problem.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

It's the water inlet check valve, mine was replaced with a ball valve.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
That is a Sharkbite slip coupling or check valve. Go here to read about the slip connection

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/sli...pper-and-cpvc/

Here to read about the check valve

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/check-valves/

The way to tell is an arrow on the side of the fitting, we cannot see all the way around, but it looks to me like on the top of the fitting there may be an arrow pointing to the left.

It looks like someone added this to your coach, maybe to remove something or the original PEX tubing had a hole in it, they needed to extend the original tubing or where adding a check valve. Either way, you can see where they added the blue PEX tubing (everything else is white). At the bottom of the brass fitting there is a piece of blue PEX added to a piece of white PEX before it gets to the elbow.

The Sharkbite slip connection fitting is straight through so there SHOULD not be any restriction coming from it. Open the line at the blue and white PEX by the black elbows and look through it, if you cannot see through it is a check valve or it is a slip connector that is blocked, if it is blocked put a new piece of PEX in from elbow to elbow, as they say, KISS, keep it simple.....

If it is a check valve (you can tell by the arrow on the side) that is a different story. Take it out and attach it to a water line, see if water comes through, if not reverse it. If it does flow at a good rate the check valve is good, look somewhere else for a restriction.

I would look for the reason the fitting was installed in the first place that may lead you to the problem.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for all the responses! Everyone is right, sort of.

It is a SharkBite back flow valve. Went back out with a mirror and there is a directional arrow cast into it (and yes, it's pointed in the right direction).

What happens if I simply eliminate it? I assume the pump sucks out of the bottom of the fresh water holding tank, the fill is probably at the top. The worst I can think of is the lines can/could drain back through the hose when not connected to a city line.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It seems to me that it would be needed. The backflow preventer would be on the pressure side of the water system. City water flows into the system and pressurizes all your faucets. If the city water is disconnected, then the backflow preventer allows the 12v water pump to pressurize the system. If the backflow preventer is removed, then the pressure from the 12v pump would allow the water to escape out through the city water supply line.
There are other ways to make the system work, so I might be wrong.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriderLeon View Post
It seems to me that it would be needed. The backflow preventer would be on the pressure side of the water system. City water flows into the system and pressurizes all your faucets. If the city water is disconnected, then the backflow preventer allows the 12v water pump to pressurize the system. If the backflow preventer is removed, then the pressure from the 12v pump would allow the water to escape out through the city water supply line.
There are other ways to make the system work, so I might be wrong.
That sounds right to me. I think you need something there for the onboard pump to build pressure against on that line. As DTWallace said, a ball valve would work fine.

Tags
water