Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

What is this plug?

This should be easy for someone with the same plug. I just discovered this 3-prong plug that is not plugged in. It comes out in the electric area. (trunk/bay) There is a receptacle close, but I would like to know what the plug is for, before plugging it in. We are parked @ home, plugged in to the dedicated RV line & everything works as expected. So, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4259.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	137031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	137032  

schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #2

Looks like a engine heater plug, used in the cold weather, just my 2cents worth..
Bill
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is this plug?

Is that compartment near your engine ? If yes that may be for the engine block heater which can be used during extreme cold weather temps. I have one but have never used it, or have not needed it so far.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

The compartment is near the back, as is the engine. That might be a good feature to have as we live in MI.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
#4 voting for engine block heater.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #6

That cord goes to the engine block heater. The receptacle near it is where you plug into and is controlled by a switch somewhere up front in your control panel, or if like mine is in the ceiling of the overhead cabinet above the passenger seat.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm glad someone else asked this question. I was going to ask the same thing. A label would have been helpful.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schools out View Post
This should be easy for someone with the same plug. I just discovered this 3-prong plug that is not plugged in. It comes out in the electric area. (trunk/bay) There is a receptacle close, but I would like to know what the plug is for, before plugging it in. We are parked @ home, plugged in to the dedicated RV line & everything works as expected. So, any ideas?

schools out
The only way to KNOW FOR SURE what that 3 prong plug is for is to locate the cord on the back side of the panel it comes out through and follow it to the end opposite the end with the plug on it.

Next test the receptacle and determine whether or not the power to it is controlled by a switch somewhere in your coach.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

What rig do you have? Some have suggested asking it to your signature line. Helps speed up trouble shooting.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our Ventana, the receptacle near the plug is only hot when plugged in to shore power, it does not run off the inverter. Have never found a switch that controls it.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

There should be a circuit breaker on your main panel labeled "block heater", so you could leave the heater plugged in and turn it on/off at the breaker. On mine Newmar wired the voltage monitor to the output of the breaker so I have to leave mine turned on and the plug pulled out as in the picture.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #12

Thanks for the information. Yes, RJOL, a label would have been great. Not as helpful as this forum group, however. We found a switch up front labeled "aux heater". We also looked through the manuals that pertain to the engine. There are references to preheating the engine, but no directions on how to do this...short of letting it run for a while.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
On our Ventana, the receptacle near the plug is only hot when plugged in to shore power, it does not run off the inverter. Have never found a switch that controls it.

We have a '15 VTDP with a mid coach half bath. The circuit breaker to the block heater is located in the half bath.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schools out View Post
Thanks for the information. Yes, RJOL, a label would have been great. Not as helpful as this forum group, however. We found a switch up front labeled "aux heater". We also looked through the manuals that pertain to the engine. There are references to preheating the engine, but no directions on how to do this...short of letting it run for a while.
The switch labeled "aux heater" I'm assuming is in the cab control 12 volt DC panel of the dash. That's for a rear heater that uses engine coolant for heat when driving. It's not for a engine block heater.

As for the preheating the engine. I think they are talking about preheating the air intake for cold weather starting. When you first turn the key to the on position when the ambient temp is low enough a dash light will indicate the intake manifold heat grid is on. When the light goes out then you start the engine.