Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM   #1

What Size Fitting for An Air Hose?

It looks like a 1/4" fitting, but I can't get that to seal because it seems like it's not the right size. I tried a larger fitting, but it was too big.

What's the baby bear (just right) fitting for hooking up an air hose to my Ventana?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There should be a male fitting tywrapped near the air connection.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #3

Hmmm. I didn't expect that. I'll have to check this afternoon before I take it back to the storage lot.

Thanks!!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Yup, as Dirk mentioned, the male connector (air) is tywrapped near the airline female connector...BUT...our rig has TWO female air line connectors, One in the fwd. slide out generator compartment AND a second in the aft engine compartment where that MALE connector is tywrapped. Check both areas if applicable to your Ventanna. Steve
Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same experience. I have 1/4" fittings on everything in my garage but they won't fit the female outlet on the MH. There was a tie wrapped male fitting by the outlet and it works fine even though it looks the same. I too would like to know where Newmar found a different one? Have to give the parts dept. a call.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #6

There are several "standard" types of quick connect air fittings, sometimes called types A, B, C, maybe even M & T though there maybe overlap in these named types. They are all standard NPT (usually 1/4) on the threaded side. Get one of each at a NAPA or Northern Tool (about a buck apiece) and see which one works. They are not interchangeable on the quick connect end. Here's another thread on this. http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49341
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Once again, this forum never ceases to amaze me. Finding a fitting that fits has been driving me nuts! This morning I stumbled across this thread, thanks to 69RoadRunner for posing the question. Went out just now, and sure enough, right there zip tied to an adjacent hose, there's my fitting!! One of those things in plane view if you know to look for it, but that you miss if you don't have any clue something might be there. Thanks again all. Road Runner, I'm betting your's is there too, good luck. I found mine in the front compartment by the generator. My coach does not seem to have the alternate air connection in the back that others have mentioned, at least not that I've found yet. I'll have to look harder now that I know there's at least a possibility.
Alan
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #8

As RVDude stated there are different type of connects. None of my air hoses will fit the female connect that Newmar installed.Simple fix.. go to Home Depot and buy the brass female connect that fits (my home air hoses) and unscrew Newmars and throw it away and screw on the female brass connector that fits my hoses. Problem solved for $2.89 ......
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Smile Thanks

I am new to this group and am very hapy to see that I am learning evryday too. I had no idea that the connection was different than the standard ones I am using at the house either. After reading this thread I too went out to the coach and sure enough, there was a male fitting zip tied to the air line. Thanks for the information.
mikemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome mikemc to the Newmar Forum and irv2.
Glad to see you have made yourself at home enjoy the forum and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #11

Glad I could help others. My plan was to find the fitting before taking the Ventana back to storage. That would be after changing the oil in my wife's Taurus X.

Well, apparently Ford's engine plant hires large gorillas to install the oil filter. I finally found a set of large channel lock pliers that could loosen the filter. After turning it 1.5 revolutions, it STILL was too tight to loosen by hand.

You're supposed to hand tighten the filter!

Anyway, I promised my son I'd take him to the park playground, so I didn't have time to look for the fitting after fighting that filter.

The boy did enjoy riding in the Ventana in the front seat. It's easier to install his booster seat up front, and with no airbags, it's safe for him there.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be bringing the Ventana back to the house next week to get ready for our first trip of the season to Myrtle Beach!