Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

What tires for a 2013 Canyon Star 3610

Looking at purchasing the noted unit and it needs new tires. Considering Toyo's 245-75R-22.5 G load or 250-70R-22.5 load h. Current tires are Michelin 235-80R-22.5 load g. I am looking at the Load H tires for a better ride but not sure what unintended consequences may occur?
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERRELLA View Post
Looking at purchasing the noted unit and it needs new tires. Considering Toyo's 245-75R-22.5 G load or 250-70R-22.5 load h. Current tires are Michelin 235-80R-22.5 load g. I am looking at the Load H tires for a better ride but not sure what unintended consequences may occur?
I was a Michelin man for years. I am a member of FMCA so I got a good discount. There seemed like there were more and more problems the last time I bought them, side wall cracking after a couple years, a huge bulge in another. Just not what I expected from a premium tire. Last set I bought was Toyo, 3 years ago and so far I have been pleased. No problems at all and I cannot feel and difference in ride. Bottom line, very satisfied with Toyo and saved a bunch of money even with the FMCA discount.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

On my previous coach the Baystar 3124 I had Michelins and previous ones too, all my cars I have Michelins our new coach has Michelins I always use Michelins even when they come with some other brand I replace them with Michelins, more important its proper care of your tires I replace the tires every 5 years on the coach on my cars its more often.

zzotte
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. My question is not whether to go with Toyo or Michelin. My question is what are the unintended consequences of going from a load rate "G" tire to a Load rate "H" tire. Appreciate any and all assistance.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All Newmars have always had Michelin tires under them and most of us have had excellent miles on them.
The Tireman9 may have a better answers for you in comparing different makes of tires good or bad he is found in this link from this link for new or old Newmar owners.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #6

R

I’m not sure I would mess with that, as long as I can remember in cars and trucks it’s always someone trying to go tall, wider, shorter etc but never had anyone change tire based on the weight rate of a tire however the speed rating no problem my buddy’s did that to cars all the time. I have no experience using G over H weight, tires are made and engineered for certain weight, handling and bla bla, a 16 ply tire will (H) definitely be more expensive and heavier too, and you can’t exceed the axle axle weight so what is the point? As for a ride in my opinion is that it will worst a 16 ply tires are thicker and stiffer specially the side walls to be able to handle the added weight. RV ride depends a lot more in a combine factor like type of suspension, tire inflation, alignment, weight etc tire is just one part of this equation, I know It cost me a fortune upgrading my BayStar at the end I sold it I realized I could never turn a pumpkin into a carriage Not sending you off but this is a question you should be asking a very good tire manufacture like Michelin or any other that you prefer they all have excellent customer service, your life depends on it.

Zzotte

Zzotte
Old 03-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very good points ZZOTTE why mess with what has been designed for the coach by redesigning all over again, big difference between a Bay Star or Canyon Star gas and any DP, Newmar has a coach for everyone now with the SUPER C, all with Michelin tires.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not really sure but I would expect the H to ride a little harder than the G. The H is going to be a heavier tire and I think will require more air pressure. You would have to check the manufacturer's load charts to see exactly.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Looking at the Load Charts the PSI will b e from 10 to 20 pounds less depending on the 4 corner weighing.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERRELLA View Post
Looking at the Load Charts the PSI will b e from 10 to 20 pounds less depending on the 4 corner weighing.
Interesting. It may ride better then.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi John - To go up one load rating should not have a down side for you. The higher rated tire will have a stiffer sidewall so the ride will be somewhat stiffer but the lower required PSI will likely overcome that.

Tom

Tags
canyon star, tires