Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

What Type of Tools?

My question to those out there who have Newmar Coaches, what type of tools do you have on board? We have a 2017 Mountain Aire, and so far, we haven't had any problems. I think it's time to outfit the motorcoach with tools. My husband says no, I'm to call someone to come out to fix the problem. (LOL) I am the mechanic in the family. By the way, my low beam lamp is out. I know I should open up the front to replace it. Am thinking about replacing all head lamps with LED lights. Is there a place on this site that could give me a few pointers. I normally replace the head lamps (lights) on our Ford, Lexus, tractor, mowers, etc....

P. S. I do have extra set of belts, filters, etc...on board.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #2

I'm of the opinion that if you know how to think, problem-solve, and use tools -- then by all means, YES, you should carry some. But which ones depends on your knowledge and skills -- and what you're willing to do. On the other hand, if your coach has some really obscure device that needs a specialized tool -- I'll probably buy it, even if I don't intend to use it myself. Then when that device breaks down out in the middle of nowhere, I can lend the tool to a local mechanic who hopefully knows how to use it. I've had mechanics break things because they didn't have the proper tool. I don't want that.

1) I think everybody should have, know how to use, and use a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter). It seems that most problems have to do with electrical power and connections. And this is an indispensable tool for tracking down and solving many many electrical problems. And even if you can't fix the problem, you'll know where the problem probably is.

2) An assortment of screw drivers is essential. You'll need #2 Robertson Square-Drive for just about all the interior and exterior screws in a Newmar. That seems to be what they use almost exclusively. But you'll also need a #1 and #2 Philips and an assortment of flat-blade screw drivers too. I have a nice multi-tip Klein tool with a ratchet handle. You don't need the ratchet handle, but my hands, fingers and wrists are getting old and weak and I find it very useful now. I also have a really long wide flat blade screwdriver I often use as a pry-bar. It's not kosher, but it often does the job.

3) A super short multi-tip tool set. I've learned that many screws in my Newmar (as well as other RV's) were installed in a particular order. And now once assembled, it can be really hard to get at some of the first screws because there's not enough room for even a "Stubby" or "Shorty" screwdriver now. And what I've found works really well in those situations are the Chapman Tools tools and kits. These are very nice Made in USA miniature tools -- specifically designed for very tight spaces. Chapman Tools offers many kits, from their "Master Kit" on down to just a ratchet handle and three tips.

The Master Kit is expensive (around $100 I think), but it has everything you'll need. It has various handles and the right-angle ratchet wrench handle, as well as full sets of US and Metric hex, Philips, Flat, Robertson, Torx, etc. tips. But they also offer kits as cheap as $15 I believe. When no other tool will get in there -- the Chapman Tools usually will.

4) If you want to do much of anything on a Cummins engine, you'll need metric tools as I understand Cummins engines are all metric. Interestingly, Onan is owned by Cummins. For their diesel generators, Onan uses mostly Komatsu diesel engines. So you'd think their parts would also be metric. Well, yes and no. I believe the internal parts are metric. But the exterior parts (fuel filter and fuel hoses for example) are US. For those I have Flare-End wrenches. That's what you use on thin fuel connections. Instead of just two contact points as a regular open-end wrench has, Flare-end wrenches have 6 contact points -- same as a 6-sided socket, but the Flare-end is open so you can get it over a fuel line.

5) I don't know about Freightliner chassis parts, but so far, just about everything I've worked on, on my Spartan chassis has been US.

6) So I carry a full set of US and Metric sockets (1/4" dr., 3/8" dr. and 1/2" dr.). I don't carry any 3/4" dr. or 1" dr. tools as those nuts and bolts will be tighter than I can deal with now.

7) On my last trip I had to fix a couple of electrical connections that failed. This might sound silly, but I had the multi-pin connector under the passenger seat pull out. So my wife couldn't get the foot rest to move -- it was dead. It turned out that the original installer (could have been Flexsteel, or Newmar or Spartan) hadn't properly crimped the big #12 wires properly -- so the wire just pulled out of the crimp connector. The good news for me was that because the connector hadn't been crimped properly, I was able to straighten it out and re-crimp it. But I had to go buy a simple crimper from the local hardware store where I was -- and I thought it was crappy. So next time I'll put one of my nice Greenlee or Paladin die crimpers in the RV's tool box.

8) And speaking of electronics -- next time I'll bring along some spare crimps and heat-shrink tubing. Crimps you can buy along the way, but heat-shrink tubing isn't something you easily find in small towns.

9) For changing oil filters and the like, I carry a plastic handled rubber strap-wrench. I like the plastic/rubber ones better because they don't scratch or dent like the metal ones sometimes do.

10) I carry an IR spot thermometer. This is one of those pistol things you point at something and get an instant temperature without having to actually touch it. Because I don't like guessing at what area the IR spot is actually measuring, I have one that shines two little L.E.D. lights out that show the outside of the measuring circle. This isn't necessary and costs more -- but I love it.

11) I carry a full compliment of 12v fuses (both the big ones and little ones) with a tester/puller.

12) I carry several HD Cable-ties (the really wide thick strong ones), as well as STD Cable-ties. I also carry about 10 ft. of bailing wire. Plastic cable ties can't take heat, but bailing wire can.

13) Blue thread-lock (Loctite or Permatex brand).

14) Powdered graphite in a "puffer" tube for sticky locks.

15) Long and short needle-nosed pliers.

16) Diagonal cutters (for cutting electrical wire, bailing wire, or cable-ties).

17) Telescoping length magnetic pick-up tools. This might be one of my most valuable tools -- because it retrieves most of the metallic things I drop! I have a strong one so it can pickup dropped tools. And I have a tiny one for picking up tiny screws, nuts, washers, etc. from otherwise inaccessible places.

18) Length of 1/8" Bungee cord I use to tie onto tools I might drop into completely inaccessible places. One end ties to the tool, the other end goes around my wrist. I learned this trick working on my boat. And it's served well in my RV's too -- when I remember to use it. When you get to my age, and/or when tired or working in the dark, things just kind of fall out of my hands. So between the Bungee cord and magnetic pickup tools, I can "usually" get things back.

I don't fix everything, but except for the really big problems, I find it so much faster and easier (not to mention cheaper) to fix as many things as possible myself. And after I've done it once, I usually have a much clearer feeling for how things work and were put together. And therefore, what NOT to do in the future -- and what to do if/when something breaks.

I was never a Boy Scout, but it's that philosophy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Well, you certainly need the basic tools; open end/box wrench set plus adjustable (Crescent or equivalent) and medium-size pipe wrench, pliers (regular, needle-nose and pump), screwdrivers (flat-blade, Phillips, square drive and Torx), Allen wrench set, a mill file, hammer, tape measure, battery-powered drill and bits, utility knife, etc.

Specialty tools include wire connector crimping tool (and a supply of the basic connectors), a PEX crimping tool (and a supply of crimp rings), multimeter, tire pressure gauge, portable air compressor, 25-50' air hose and air chuck.

That's a start.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #4

12 volt test light, 11-1 screw driver, 12" crescent-hammer, super 88 elct tape, tube of blue silicone sealant, half doz various sized hose clamps, baby channel locks and a big set, vice grips, needle nose pliers, good LED flashlight, and a magnifying glass, &AAA are in my tool kit for out on the hwy. any more then that and I'm just carrying weight that COULD BE BEER INSTEAD
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #5

Battery powered drill with screw driver bits. This tool can be used on some slides to manually roll the slide in. Also, I carry a large channel locks. It can be used to losen or tighten tough items or large items. It can also be used to Bend thing back in place since the long arms give you lots of leverage. Did anyone mention rivets? RV Geeks did an episode that I totally agreed with. rivets are great for mounting things on RV walls.
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:26 AM   #6
TTD

I raced motorcycles for years so having tools and spares is second nature to me.

I would estimate I have over 200 hours of stuff that I have done so far.... Most of it minor things that most anyone could do with the tools so they paid for themselves many times over.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

FYI, Lowe’s has a REALLY GOOD SALE in their Kobalt kits right now!!

I just snagged at 104-piece for $70, as well as a low clearance ratchet set (like the Chapman) for $10!

The set is perfect and I don’t have to worry about robbing my home tools to piece something together.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With reference to post #2 above.
I've never seen an Onan generator with a Komatsu engine. I have seen many of them with Kubota's though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Basically most of my home tools go with me since when I am at home, so is my RV. They just reside in the RV.
Part of what I carry;
a fully stocked 4 drawer Craftsman tool box. Sits inside aft bay door for easy access.
a cordless drill, with accessories.
a multi meter, with assortment of fuses and electrical connectors, wire, etc.
spare fuel filters, for the Cummins and the Onan.
spare serpentine belts.
a Porter Cable pancake air compressor with a 50' air hose that is easily accessible.
a spare water pump
a spare pump controller
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote