Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #15

I always go to the truck side regardless of what the signs say. At 65' with dinghy there is no point even considering the rv side. Fuel is fast and quite frankly I have had nothing but very friendly and courteous interactions with the commercial drivers over there. Sometimes I admire their rigs, sometimes they admire mine. As long as you you follow the pump and move etiquette you'll have no problems.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenchelby View Post
Aren't the taxes different (more) in the truck lanes?
Some places. AZ for example. Commercial trucks pay more taxes and truck lanes have the higher price.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #17

You are not an RV, you are a big rig (truck). The only exception is that you do not follow trucks on to the weigh scales on the Interstate.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
No, tax is on the fuel, not who buys it.

The only different taxing is for "off-road" fuel, especially diesel for farm equipment.
I have found a truck stop (can't remember what state) will post signs without tax and when some poor fool in an RV fills up he notices on his receipt the price is different. They say that the trucks are exempt because they pay the state a fuel use tax. Maybe a load of BS but it made me mad and now I can't remember where it was.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi jswickard,
What you saw has basically been they way for decades. Not all FJ's but most are like what you saw. We have lunch in rest areas. And we always go to the truck pumps. FYI, we are a truck.
X2 We all like to brag about our Spartan or Freight liner or F53 chassis. What makes us think we then should use the CAR lanes???
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #20

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I have found a truck stop (can't remember what state) will post signs without tax and when some poor fool in an RV fills up he notices on his receipt the price is different. They say that the trucks are exempt because they pay the state a fuel use tax. Maybe a load of BS but it made me mad and now I can't remember where it was.
LOL!
I bet it was Oregon...Truckstop posted price is "PUC" tag price....
In Oregon Commercial trucks pay the road tax by the mile... not on the fuel purchased...Everyone else pays a fuel tax...about $.27 per gallon if I remember..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post

I have read this about Indiana.

No firsthand experience driving a gasser obviously.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #22

Indiana. You will get caught by this when you visit Newmar.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Indiana. You will get caught by this when you visit Newmar.
I think you are right
Old 03-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A new FJ was built not far from me. Even though it has RV lanes, they made the parking lot so small there's no maneuverability & the clearance out of the RV lane to the front of the building is too close to be able to pull out, even if no one is parked in front of the store.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
A new FJ was built not far from me. Even though it has RV lanes, they made the parking lot so small there's no maneuverability & the clearance out of the RV lane to the front of the building is too close to be able to pull out, even if no one is parked in front of the store.

Lori-
When are RV'ers going to get the word that RV's are just a PITA for Flying J. They just don't want us there. Diesel prices are 30-40 or more cents a gal than you can get down the road. Parking for a toad pulling RV or a big 5th wheel is extremely limited to non-existent, and previously free dumps are now $5-10 if available at all, and in some places require a fuel purchase. Wake up and smell the (roses-diesel-gas???) ---whatever. Those who think a SPECIAL SUPER PLASTIC CARD THAT GIVES THEM A 2, 4, or 6 cents a gal discount are obviously in another world. Gas Buddy for the best fuel prices and Google Earth to see if you can easily get in or out. Wake Up.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
I use pilot/flying j truck lanes for fueling. Almost always easy in and out and truckers have always been friendly with me and interested in my rig. I almost never park there though since most only have back in spots. Almost always eat lunch in rest areas on the truck side. I know I could find cheaper fuel but like the predictable ease of pilot/flying j. That’s worth the extra $$ to me.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pigman1,
I do not see the same picture as you. Tell you what, use whatever APP or method you want to determine where you get your fuel. You'll get no degrading comments from me. In return, allow me to use PFJ and receive no degrading and unfounded comments from you. Agreed?

Please remember price is only one consideration as to where one receives fuel.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
When are RV'ers going to get the word that RV's are just a PITA for Flying J. They just don't want us there. Diesel prices are 30-40 or more cents a gal than you can get down the road. Parking for a toad pulling RV or a big 5th wheel is extremely limited to non-existent, and previously free dumps are now $5-10 if available at all, and in some places require a fuel purchase. Wake up and smell the (roses-diesel-gas???) ---whatever. Those who think a SPECIAL SUPER PLASTIC CARD THAT GIVES THEM A 2, 4, or 6 cents a gal discount are obviously in another world. Gas Buddy for the best fuel prices and Google Earth to see if you can easily get in or out. Wake Up.
That's the way I do it too! I've got the Good Sam discount card but that doesn't even bring the price down to what other stations are selling it for. I use the Sam's Club MasterCard which gives a 5% discount on fuel. So that's 15 cents off on $3.00 fuel. And I don't have to burn J's 20% bio fuel.