RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #29

Thank you for the responses. It has been an eye opening learning experience. I was surprised how much RV’ers value their extra fuel. Also, based on the performance data I was able to find, it takes 10,000 lbs of variance to yield a 0.55 MPG delta. That makes the extra 500 lbs of fuel carried on a typical 8 hour/400 mile day irrelevant. In contrast, 20 percent of the extra fuel would have been burned by an airplane.

So fill er up!

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:20 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When do you stop to refuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Padron View Post
Following. I have much to learn. Question: 150 gallons of fuel weighs north of 1,200 lbs........

Are you fueling with water?

As to refueling— I have 150 gal, get 7.4 mpg, and trust the odometer far more than the gauge. I’ve got over 1000 miles in the tank. At about 500-600 plus I’ll be thinking about it, keeping in mind that I lose the generator feed at about 700-750. It’s not difficult.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Padron View Post
Following. I have much to learn. Question: 150 gallons of fuel weighs north of 1,200 lbs. Has anyone measured mpg at full versus 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4? Topping off daily may not be the most efficient way to travel cross country. Then again, the three most useless things in aviation are the runway behind you, the altitude above you, and the air in your fuel tanks...
Nobody will argue that the lighter the vehicle, the better the MPG, but will most of those savings be eaten up by the cost of exiting a freeway, working through a gas station, and accelerating back onto that freeway?

Doing some math on it, if my fill-up point is 3/8 of a tank, then Average amount in my tank will be about 68%.

If I fill up at 1/4, then average will be 63%.

5% of 150G is 7.5G, or 50lbs. 50lbs might not even show up on a scale...much less in our wallets. Better to use an app to find the best price.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjos View Post
Ive been only doing this for about 3000 mi and also fill up at 1/4-1/2 tank. I have trouble actually filling the tank and getting to the Full Mark on the gauge. Every time I try, it overflows and runs diesel down the side of the rig. this occurs even if I put the pump on the slowest setting as it gets close to full. Ive taken to using the fuel flow gauge and adding only the gallons that dash computer says that Ive used. This gets me to 7/8ths full. Is there another trick?
I’ve found this true especially when the driveway at the fuel pump isn’t level. Since I had an Air Level system in our MA I have sometimes air leveled prior to pumping fuel.

On the issue of spilling diesel down the side of your MH, I always wrap a paper towel “donut” around the base of the fuel nozzle. Then I shove the “donut” into the opening. Since Newmars fuel tanks are vented, I have no worry about restricting the air flow out of the tank. Since doing the paper towel donut on the fuel nozzle I have never leaked diesel down the side of the MH. Try it and see if this works for you.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #33

Thanks Dan, I’m going to give the donut trick a try next refuel. Probably tomorrow.
gjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #34

If you feel a gush of air coming out of the fill port, then venting might be restricted, so go to the other side of the coach and loosen the fuel cap so more air can escape.

The trick is remembering to tighten that guy before resuming your trip!
Old 08-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #35

I might be at the other end of the spectrum from those that have commented so far. I try to minimize time spent at the pump, so therefore I'll push the limits a bit more than most. I use my ScanGauge-D to monitor fuel usage by the main diesel, and then guesstimate that used by the GenSet by simply counting a liberal 1 gal/hr added onto that total. When I've used about 120 gallons, then I'll look to hit the pumps. In practice I can guesstimate roughly where I'll be when this will happen, and I will check out options in that general vicinity. I've also found that my fuel gauge reliably reads a bit lower than 1/4 when this point has been reached too.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If you feel a gush of air coming out of the fill port, then venting might be restricted, so go to the other side of the coach and loosen the fuel cap so more air can escape.

The trick is remembering to tighten that guy before resuming your trip!
Just remember that if your coach is tilted towards that vent side, you may leak fuel out that side before the fuel in side stops.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
My experience is that my gauge is very accurate. If it shows 50%, I can get 72-76 gallons in before the pump clicks off. My system may be newer than yours though.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
I’ve found this true especially when the driveway at the fuel pump isn’t level. Since I had an Air Level system in our MA I have sometimes air leveled prior to pumping fuel.

On the issue of spilling diesel down the side of your MH, I always wrap a paper towel “donut” around the base of the fuel nozzle. Then I shove the “donut” into the opening. Since Newmars fuel tanks are vented, I have no worry about restricting the air flow out of the tank. Since doing the paper towel donut on the fuel nozzle I have never leaked diesel down the side of the MH. Try it and see if this works for you.
Yep, my Rig does the same. I once tried to open the passenger side as well. No joy. An attendant that was emptying trash on that side said that he suddenly saw diesel spewing straight up and out that side! I'll try your trick!
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #39

I like to look for fuel after the gauge goes below 1/2 mark but feel perfectly fine going all the way down towards 1/4.
There was one time when I was traveling somewhere on the west side of the US. Strangly, I don't remember exactly where but I was down below 1/4 and passed 1 fuel station because of ridiculous pricing and then missed the next one due to combination of Google Maps directions and off ramp position. I drove for what seemed like eternity after that in a completely desolate mountainous area, hoping that I don't run out of fuel.
I did not and was relieved when I got to the next filling station.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #40

Thanks for all the info y'all.

We're about ready to take a fall trip of almost 3000 miles. I have the baseline to start with, I'm going to take 75% of a 150 gallon tank at about 7 mpg for my initial max distance of about 800 miles and adjust the numbers from there.
The first big trip we took I didn't keep up with the mileage as I should have so this time I will.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
My '98 DSDP holds 100 gallons and gets anywhere from 8 - 10 mpg depending on load, wind speed and direction. I use all the apps possible to plan my trip and by where the fuel is cheapest. So I might run 400 miles before a fill or up to 750. My gauge is accurate when it gets low. Just above "E" and I only can get 76 gallons in it. never have had the generator shutdown because of A lack of fuel.
Nikcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #42

Location: Full-Timer, currently in Benson, AZ (for the winter)
How much DEF is left in the DEF tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
As far as the DEF, I got tired of checking for broken seals at Walmart (and finding them) so now I always purchase my DEF bulk at the pump. I keep a 2 gallon DEF container in my bay, fill it, put it back in the bay, then add it to my DEF tank later at the campground. I'll do this for a couple fuel stops then skip one. Anyway, I keep timing it so my DEF tank always shows around 3/4 full.
I keep track of my diesel and DEF usage in an EXCEL spreadsheet. Since I use 1 gallon of DEF per 50 gallons of diesel I track the mileage and have a column to keep track of when DEF is added. A master computational cell then shows how much should be in the DEF tank. When it gets below six gallons (I've got a 12.5 DEF tank), I know it's time to top-off the tank the next time I fill or at least put in the emergency DEF container in my garage storage.

I like your idea of reusing the DEF container...I'l be using it next spring (I'll be at our winter destination next week).

Jay.

DS 2016 4369

Jaj1260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel