Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At the Freightliner class Mike said that you need to be proactive and downshift early to keep the rpm’s up.
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
You need to watch the water and tranny temps-- lugging at too low RPM will raise them and could be the start of trouble. Knock it down an gear or 2 and get it in the sweet spot.
And will drive your EGT up to the sky high limit. Bad for turbo.
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I used to take the 154 as a short cut when I went to Cal Poly SLO about 100 years ago. I passed all the old farts with their rigs but usually got stuck behind the one old goat who had to win at the top right before it turned to one lane. And then he went 45 until it opened up again.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The 154 has always been my choice, motorcycle, car and RV, saves about 20 minutes going north. Technically I think it’s restricted to 40 feet and under.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I plead guilty to not manually operating my transmission. I just keep the pedal to the metal or the cruise control on, and I pass tractor trailers going up hills. I figure everything must be working alright. Doesn’t the automatic transmission have all this stuff programmed properly?
Driving like this in hilly or mountain terrain will cause your transmission to eventually overheat, not to mention your rear end. I would suggest if you had a Pyrometer gauge, your exhaust gas temps would be way up in the red and you'll be going through fuel like crazy!! Yes, the transmission and the computer are programmed to downshift etc, but there is such a thing as being easy on the equipment IMO.

If you trade your coach in every 4-5 years (like a lot of people on this site seem to do) then by all means, drive it hard! lol If you plan to keep it for the long haul, then going easy, backing off a little and downshifting is your best bet for the equipment.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Driving like this in hilly or mountain terrain will cause your transmission to eventually overheat, not to mention your rear end. I would suggest if you had a Pyrometer gauge, your exhaust gas temps would be way up in the red and you'll be going through fuel like crazy!! Yes, the transmission and the computer are programmed to downshift etc, but there is such a thing as being easy on the equipment IMO.

If you trade your coach in every 4-5 years (like a lot of people on this site seem to do) then by all means, drive it hard! lol If you plan to keep it for the long haul, then going easy, backing off a little and downshifting is your best bet for the equipment.
How is the rear end temperature going to be affected by engine RPM or what gear the transmission is running in? The drive shaft will be turning the same speed regardless what gear your in or the RPM.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #21

Driving through Montana today and showing DW, who was driving how to down shift manually. She loved blowing by the 18 wheelers.
BobKatMsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Horsepower is not the issue. The issue is this guy does not know how to drive. Nice to know he's out there -- somewhere -- with 40,000 pounds of mayhem.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
How is the rear end temperature going to be affected by engine RPM or what gear the transmission is running in? The drive shaft will be turning the same speed regardless what gear your in or the RPM.
Lots of torque can heat up a rear end.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Horsepower is not the issue. The issue is this guy does not know how to drive. Nice to know he's out there -- somewhere -- with 40,000 pounds of mayhem.
Who you talking about?
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #25

Allison actually recommends being proactive by downshifting going up (and down) grades versus letting the automatic "take over".
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Who you talking about?
The boy with a 600hp engine but not enough skills to know how and when to downshift. I think I had that figured out at age 16.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSolo View Post
Allison actually recommends being proactive by downshifting going up (and down) grades versus letting the automatic "take over".
I've never seen that. Can you tell me where you found this and what trannys it applies to? My Allison is pretty good at selecting the proper gear, so I let her do it. Sometimes she up shifts, only to lose speed and have to downshift. I'll take over because she can't see out the front window and doesn't know what's coming. I'll down shift manually, and pick a speed that is comfortable for Allison and her Cat, till we clear the grade. But usually, she does a pretty good job by herself.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I've never seen that. Can you tell me where you found this and what trannys it applies to? My Allison is pretty good at selecting the proper gear, so I let her do it. Sometimes she up shifts, only to lose speed and have to downshift. I'll take over because she can't see out the front window and doesn't know what's coming. I'll down shift manually, and pick a speed that is comfortable for Allison and her Cat, till we clear the grade. But usually, she does a pretty good job by herself.
My Cummins manual specifically says to up/downshift to maintain optimal rpms