Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

When will RV’s upgrade their AC Controls???

It’s crazy to look at a 2018 King Aire with an incredibly modern dash that looks amazing but........the dash AC is the same as a 98 Buick. I know the “R” is probably on the chassis builder but you would think manufactures would have updated requirements, especially since we’re all in on price.
FSU Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Actually, the dash A/C controls for most class A RV's are made by other vendors, most notably Evans Tempcon. They do make a couple of automatic controls as seen in their manuals link here, however it's up to manufacturers like Newmar to choose them.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Actually, the dash HVAC are selected by the body builder (Newmar) not the chassis or engine manufacturer. Newmar is limited to what's available, in most cases the HVAC supplier has a tried and true line of dash controls. The more units sold of a certain design means engineering and development costs are spread out. To make changes for styling wouldn't be cost effective. If you look at the dash controls offered by Evans Tempcon, they've been the same for more than 20 years and found in thousands, perhaps millions of vehicles over the years. They work and people are familiar with them, to change to digital or touch screen technology might look 'cool', but they'd also introduce a whole world of new problems -- and expense.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I know it may seem silly, but this has always bugged me too.
Spend all this money and you get a dash air like my old work van.
I want dual climate zones like I have in my Grand Cherokee.

Eventually RV's will catch up with technology.
Yianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The dash air controls are not fancy but they do the job just fine as far as I am concerned. What I would like to see is better furnace/roof air controls. Automated temperature setbacks, automatic changeover from cool to heat, smartphone controls and perhaps Amazon Alexa control for instance. Our homes have this available. When will our coaches be so equipped?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The dash air controls are not fancy but they do the job just fine as far as I am concerned. What I would like to see is better furnace/roof air controls. Automated temperature setbacks, automatic changeover from cool to heat, smartphone controls and perhaps Amazon Alexa control for instance. Our homes have this available. When will our coaches be so equipped?
Dometic's CCC2 has almost all of that, lacking only the smartphone controls, though the manual hints at that being available, in the form of an interface box to a computer that I have not been able to find anywhere. If you want to spend more money, Newmar's NewAire does have all that, at a price, of course.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The EVAN's units have been used for years by Newmar because of their reliability, that does not say some times a problem may arise.
The dash control has not change either used by Newmar in their whole lineup of coach's.
EVAN's information #1 --- #2 ---- #3 ---- #4

I guess you could ask if you are having a new coach built you might ask for a different control by EVAN's as a special and see if Newmar would comply.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Having just gone through the "specials" aspect of ordering a new coach, I can tell you that if you request something that requires special engineering rather than a simple component swap, it won't be approved. And, in some cases, "specials" will also not be approved in order to maintain model separation.

As an example, we asked for the two-memory-position driver's seat from the Essex to be installed in the Mountain Aire. It was disapproved because it would require re-engineering of the wiring harness. From what I can learn, the wiring harnesses for various models are supplied by a vendor and are already made up for each model.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually Tiffin has updated the A/C system in the last couple of years. It now looks like something from this century. But I think its all a Denso unit if I'm not mistaken.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

Looks like some folks value glitz over reliability. That is about what it comes down to. Once you start adding the electronics reliability goes down, parts become a problem, and there is no way the dash controls will monitor a box the size of a MH like they can a car.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #11

But it gives forum members more to discuss!.....LOL
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Looks like some folks value glitz over reliability. That is about what it comes down to. Once you start adding the electronics reliability goes down, parts become a problem, and there is no way the dash controls will monitor a box the size of a MH like they can a car.
Spot on. I've wondered why RV's use heater cores and evaporators the same size as a pick-up truck. The evaporator might be limited to available compressors and condensers, but the heater core could certainly be enlarged. The cubic area of a pick-up cab can in no way be compared to the front area of an RV, so why not enlarge the heating capacity?

Years ago I drove school buses that had 4-6 heater cores attached to the engine, which in all cases was a much smaller V-8 than what Workhorse or Ford put in RVs.

Bottom line, $$.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know now what you mean, now that my eye site has failed and I can never drive a new car or truck with the big screen on center console with all electrical data of vehicle spilling out on screen, doesn't help if kids do not look at low tire pressure alarms flashing in front of them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #14

I for one value controls that can be operated by feel while eyes are on the road. The current rage of touch screens for everything automotive is a distraction.

Dual zone automatic climate control like a car? The car doesn't have a house attached to it. Considering the capacity of the dash HVAC compared to the volume of space it's connected to, it's often overtaxed and doing all it can.

Tags
rvs, upgrade