RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Where is it?

We have crawled all over the coach and cannot find where to connect to park cable. There is an antenna/cable jack and telephone jack by the passenger seat but that's not what we're looking for.

The coach has an in motion sat which does no good under trees so we're wanting to be able to use our carryout. We've always connected the cable from the carryout to "park cable" then to the receiver and out to TVs but we're not finding the connector.

The manual says the coach may have one and it's in an exterior bay. MAY?? I thought that was pretty much a standard option since cable was invented.

I did find a radio though so it wasn't a total waste of time!

Can anyone give us a hint?

KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It's usually in the electrical bay.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
It's usually in the electrical bay.
+1 ... that is where it was on my 2012 Ventana. Here is a picture and it was the white cover at the upper right corner.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	69215  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And be sure to look up, too. In my '02 DS the cable input is mounted on the overhead of the electrical bay.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

HA! Thanks guys. It was behind white door #2 in the electric bay.

Now, I'm totally stumped on how to get it from there to the receiver and out to the TVs. Our other 2 RVs had a switch box and one toggled between antenna/cable/sat. I finally learned to run the cable IN cable into the receiver then out to TV from the receiver into the Cable In on the switch box. That took me THREE years to figure out and now I have to start over.

There was a little button to push for the antenna booster & it had green light to let you know. Surely, the connection which looks suspiciously like what I used in the other RVs that's behind the passenger seat is not the only way.

I've tried to search iRV2 for DIY instructions but haven't had any luck.

There has to be a way. Right?
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you just hook the shore cable to the plug behind door #2 ... make sure the antenna boost switch is off (on wall by passenger seat) and then make sure the TV input is set to TV and Cable (that setting is a TV setting) ... then you need to auto-program the TV stations.

This answer is as high as my "pay-grade" goes.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
I think you just hook the shore cable to the plug behind door #2 ... make sure the antenna boost switch is off (on wall by passenger seat) and then make sure the TV input is set to TV and Cable (that setting is a TV setting) ... then you need to auto-program the TV stations.

This answer is as high as my "pay-grade" goes.

Steve
That would probably work if we were using actual cable TV from a campground.

In previous RVs what we've done with the carryout satellite dish is to run it's cable into the "park cable" connection and there was a "Cable" cable which I took off the switch box and put in the "sat in" on the sat receiver. Then ran a cable from the "out to TV" on the receiver into the "Cable IN" on the switch box. I can't find anything that resembles that in the cabinet over the driver which is where that big "Multi Channel AV Receiver" is.

I dug around behind the AV Receiver and didn't see anything that looked like a "park cable" connection.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

Hi Karen, The "cable in" might be (probably is) connected to a splitter somewhere in the coach and from the splitter it would normally run to each coax input onto each TV. That is if you don't have a multi switch which I think you said you don't.
The splitter might interfere with you carry-out dish...
See if each TV is connected to cable, then find the splitter. My guess is it will be behind the closest TV to the electrical bay. Disconnect the "input" on the splitter and that is where you will need to hook-up the "Dish" input on your receiver. If you want to watch Dish TV on your TV's then hook up from the Dish receiver coax TV output back into the splitter. Hope this helps!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #9

This is what we have in the cabinet over the driver:

I can't find anything that looks like a coax cable other than one labeled "satellite". I assume that's the one that goes to the roof. I don't see any place to use a cable connection on that big box either.

Here is the back:

There isn't anything other than a coax jack and a DVD player in the bedroom. All have the HMDI connections but I don't know if that's an "IN" or an "OUT".

The midship TV doesn't have any friends. It's sitting there all alone but I believe it communicates with the big black box in the front cabinet.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #10

Yes, your coax labeled Satellite looks to be the cable from the roof.
Your "park cable" coax cable probably does not go thru the "black box" audio/video switcher. Probably goes from electrical bay to a splitter then directly to coax inputs on your two tv's (midship and bedroom). I see you have already found the coax in the bedroom... Your two TV's probably have multiple inputs, one input would be coax cable and you probably have at least one more input, which would be connected to the video output from the "black box". Your DVD and sat receiver would probably connect to the black box which would run those signals to TV.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #11

Thanks, HHIDan!

There are 4 TVs. Front, midship, bedroom and exterior. I thought the bedroom TV probably wasn't connected to the other 3 and needed it's own sat. receiver but was hoping the other 3 could be connected through the box but I don't see a jack for cable anywhere in that cabinet. There is a jack behind the passenger seat which makes no sense to me. Why have a jack there?

We may ask about that when we call Newmar about the gurgle and schedule a check up.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
What is the large black wire that's seen in the lower right corner of your picture? Also there's a coax looking cable coming from under box; what is this? Lastly, are there any small panels on the walls of your electronics cabinet labeled HDMI?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
What is the large black wire that's seen in the lower right corner of your picture? Also there's a coax looking cable coming from under box; what is this? Lastly, are there any small panels on the walls of your electronics cabinet labeled HDMI?
The one in the lower right was taped by the previous owner to the top of the black box & is from the sat on the roof. It must go into the "sat in" on the receiver. There are RCA (?) jacks (red, white & yellow) that were also taped to the top of the black box that I'm guessing go from the receiver into a nest of connectors in the top left of the cabinet.

The coax looking cable that looks like it's coming from under the box is really not. It looks like a coax cable but it's spliced to to that smaller black wire that connects to the right of that white boxy looking thing at the top. The white thing has something to do with FM and the black is AM.

Both the front cabinet and the bedroom cabinet have the HDMI connectors in the ceiling of the cabinets. I don't know if they are "IN" or "OUT" though.

Somehow, we need to get from the carryout sat into the coach to the TVs. There is a cable connection in the electric bay (thanks, btw!), a cable connection by the passenger seat (strange) and one in the cabinet over the TV in the bedroom. I can't find one in the front cabinet. Both front & bedroom cabinets have the HMDI connection in the ceiling.

Surely, there is a way to get a carryout signal into the coach....but I'm not the one to figure it out.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

On our coach there are 3 inputs in the white box in the electrical bay .

One is labeled external Sat dish.
This was an option on the list for wiring Ground Tripod Sat Dish prep, $181

Bill

OC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote