RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Where to buy shade motors

We have a 2008 essex with MCD shades. I need to replace the motor on two shades. Does anyone know a good source for just the motors? The motors are made by auto motion shade. Part number is EL-4265-1230-AMS. They are blue in color.

Newmar does not sell just the motor. Shade unit from them is $1200.00. A little more than I want to spend.

Waiting to hear back from auto motion so hopefully they will help.

Thanks for all responses.

Take care

Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

I bought a replacement motor from MCD--- it was about $100.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought on the MCD shades. The new models they sell this year are a bit bigger and required that the valances be moved out. So be sure to take the size into consideration if you’re not getting OEM.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Thanks guys. We called MCD and they started making their own motors back around 2010. They no longer have anything in stock that works on the older shades they made.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Don’t want to hijack the thread, but related to this there is a Technical Service Bulletin out for MCD motors on a bunch of coaches built in 16 or 17. They apparently got batch of bad motors and many have failed.

We are parked here at Rally in Sedalia and MCD is scheduled to come out and replace a bunch of ours today.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Well still no reply to email or phone messages from Automotion shade. They do not answer phone forcing you to leave a message which they do not respond to. I will never buy any product made by Automotion or having their motors in them.

I will update this thread when I come up with s replacement motor.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

After a week of my wife leaving daily messages at auto motion they finally returned a call. They informed us that Newmar did have a motor that would work as a replacement but the part number had changed.

New motor part number is: EL-4280p-1230-AMS

I ordered three from Newmar at a cost of $130 each. They work but you have to take the one drive end off old unit and mount it on new unit. This required drilling two new screw holed in old metal end plate and using epoxy to glue center nipple to plate. No big deal anyone should be able to make it work. This is way cheaper than buying replacement shade and still having to install yourself.

Hope this helps others.

Take care and enjoy the journey
Old 11-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the information, I have the same old style motor that needs replacing. When I called Newmar parts they said that the unit was no longer available and had no option except to buy new shade assy.. I ordered the new part number and hope that I can make it work.
The old motor wasn't bad until it came out of the bracket on the motor end and broke the wires off at the motor. The latch that holds it in place had come open and let it fall down.
Caution to make sure the latch is secure.
bobbflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
After a week of my wife leaving daily messages at auto motion they finally returned a call. They informed us that Newmar did have a motor that would work as a replacement but the part number had changed.

New motor part number is: EL-4280p-1230-AMS

I ordered three from Newmar at a cost of $130 each. They work but you have to take the one drive end off old unit and mount it on new unit. This required drilling two new screw holed in old metal end plate and using epoxy to glue center nipple to plate. No big deal anyone should be able to make it work. This is way cheaper than buying replacement shade and still having to install yourself.

Hope this helps others.

Take care and enjoy the journey
Received the new EL-4280p-1230-AMS motor from Newmar part #021172 (price is now $157.00) installed without having to drill. Worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help.
bobbflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbflas View Post
Received the new EL-4280p-1230-AMS motor from Newmar part #021172 (price is now $157.00) installed without having to drill. Worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help.
I have to replace the motor in my windshield shade too. I have been putting it off for a few months. looks like a tricky job for 1 person. I am on the hunt for instructions on how to access the motor. it appears I have to take down the whole setup that is screwed to the wood and that looks heavy and a bit awkward for 1 pp job.

My question is did the limits works from the factory or did they send the remote to set those with the motor? ~thanks
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
I have to replace the motor in my windshield shade too. I have been putting it off for a few months. looks like a tricky job for 1 person. I am on the hunt for instructions on how to access the motor. it appears I have to take down the whole setup that is screwed to the wood and that looks heavy and a bit awkward for 1 pp job.

My question is did the limits works from the factory or did they send the remote to set those with the motor? ~thanks
You will need to reprogram the new motor using the dash switch and the programming button on the motor. Pretty simple, just follow the instructions provided. Yes, it's sort of a pain trying to get the shade in and out single handed.... I managed, but it wasn't real fun.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I removed the entire privacy shade from the mounting hardware, which I regret. I thought there wouldn't be enough clearance, so tackled the passenger side (PS) first. I should have done the drivers side (DS) only, where the motor exists, because there is a spring on the (PS) and I heard it completely unwind when I took the last screw out. I really hope I can reset the tension by turning the black knob until tension is restored and screwing the PS back to the mounting hardware.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
I removed the entire privacy shade from the mounting hardware, which I regret. I thought there wouldn't be enough clearance, so tackled the passenger side (PS) first. I should have done the drivers side (DS) only, where the motor exists, because there is a spring on the (PS) and I heard it completely unwind when I took the last screw out. I really hope I can reset the tension by turning the black knob until tension is restored and screwing the PS back to the mounting hardware.
I had a quick and complete response from AM today. They sent me very good instructions on swapping out my old yellow motors, modifying the wiring to match the new motors, set my limits and reset the tension on the spring (14 turns btw). I am going to try to attach the files they sent me.

Now just waiting on my new motors from Newmar.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Parts are finally on order. The latest motor replacement is Newmar part 026094. The programmer part is still 023768. Since both my shade motors are the older 5 wire/yellow, I am going all in by purchasing 2 motors and the programmer for a total cost of $410.