Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where to install exterior outlet?

I’m interested in installing an electrical outlet outside the coach on the door side. I currently plug an extension cord into the pedestal, but would like to avoid running it around the backside of the coach. The only outlet currently on the door side is in the compartment just forward of the pegboard, but in order to use it the compartment door would need to remain open. (There also an outlet in the freezer compartment, but that doesn’t help me).

I’m interested in what others have done or ideas you may have on where to install an outlet.

Some ideas that I have include installing an outlet on the underside of the bedroom slide or cutting a notch into the floor of the compartment where the existing outlet is. An opening similar to how the coach power and fresh water hose exists the coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’m interested in installing an electrical outlet outside the coach on the door side. I currently plug an extension cord into the pedestal, but would like to avoid running it around the backside of the coach. The only outlet currently on the door side is in the compartment just forward of the pegboard, but in order to use it the compartment door would need to remain open. (There also an outlet in the freezer compartment, but that doesn’t help me).

I’m interested in what others have done or ideas you may have on where to install an outlet.

Some ideas that I have include installing an outlet on the underside of the bedroom slide or cutting a notch into the floor of the compartment where the existing outlet is. An opening similar to how the coach power and fresh water hose exists the coach.
Curious why the outlet in the freezer compartment doesn’t work? I use that for an extension cord and a battery charger.
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyII View Post
Curious why the outlet in the freezer compartment doesn’t work? I use that for an extension cord and a battery charger.

There only one outlet for the freezer compartment and the freezer is plugged into it. If I were to have a second outlet there and plugged in an extension cord I would have to leave that compartment open. It doesn’t help me solve my issue as the one in the compartment in front of the pegboard is more convenient, but I don’t want to have to leave the door open.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

What is the useage for the cord? I also use the fridge plug, 1st compartment behind the entry door, but mine has 2 outlets. I use a standard house 8 foot cord for my outdoor speaker or radio if required. Perhaps you can retrofit a 2 outlet socket?
Btw a flat cord fits between the door and the weatherstrip without causing damage.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

We have been using an extension cord for the toaster (breakfast outside), charging laptops and mobile devices while sitting outdoors, and for power tools. I can also see using it for the induction cooktop.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

These are real handy to have on hand. I use one in the freezer compartment as well as several other places:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BuckyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a cord reel next to my freezer. Very handy and the door can be closed with the cord sticking out.
Similar to this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBQ51W...f-05b8878a13d8
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my freezer outlet with a dual outlet.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I installed a cord reel next to my freezer. Very handy and the door can be closed with the cord sticking out.
Similar to this.
I like the cord reel idea; may put one in our coach's freezer compartment. I would opt for the 15A 12-gauge version rather than the 13A 14-gauge, however.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
TJ I did install the 12 gauge version just could not locate it on Amazon.

I stole\borrowed this from another IRV2 member. We use it all the time for tailgating or for awning lights. It was a perfect fit on the right side of the pullout freezer.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
TJ I did install the 12 gauge version just could not locate it on Amazon.

I stole\borrowed this from another IRV2 member. We use it all the time for tailgating or for awning lights. It was a perfect fit on the right side of the pullout freezer.
Thanks for the update. I'm going to measure the space in our 2018 MADP to confirm it will fit. If it will, I'll order up one of the 12-gauge units.

I have several cord reels in my workshop and find them very useful.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Similar to this.
I have a similar cord reel that I was going to install, but have not done so. Do you have a picture of how you did your installation?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Similar to this.

Do you have a cutout for the cord to extend out of the compartment or do you just have the cord pinched between the door and the coach itself?

My fears is the the cord will get damaged if it’s just pinched between the door and the coach. I realize that there is gasket that will get compressed and provide some space.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I’m interested in installing an electrical outlet outside the coach on the door side. I currently plug an extension cord into the pedestal, but would like to avoid running it around the backside of the coach. The only outlet currently on the door side is in the compartment just forward of the pegboard, but in order to use it the compartment door would need to remain open....
I use this outlet and carefully close the basement door and it's fine. Gasket in the basement will adjust to allow the cord to remain there.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install