RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

Hi I just found this forum and I hoping to get infomation from Newmar owners.

I am currenty looking to purchase my first MH. I have been looking and doing as much research as I can. I have found the Newmar products to be rated very good and have narrowed my search to this product, although I have not ruled out the Tiffins.

I am thinking the Dutch Star has everything that I am looking for because I am going to be fultiming. I do not really want to buy a new one. I like the DS 4024 model and there is a 2005 here that I am seriously considering buying.

I also like the Ventana 3933 and have found a new 2007 that could be in my price range. Now I know the Dutch Star is a higher end model than the Ventana but by how much I don't know.

Is the 2007 Ventana comparable to the 2005 Dutch Star in ride, towing, quality? Do the 2007 Newmar models have the sidewall problems or were they fixed in 2006?

Thanks
C & P

C & P is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #2

Hi I just found this forum and I hoping to get infomation from Newmar owners.

I am currenty looking to purchase my first MH. I have been looking and doing as much research as I can. I have found the Newmar products to be rated very good and have narrowed my search to this product, although I have not ruled out the Tiffins.

I am thinking the Dutch Star has everything that I am looking for because I am going to be fultiming. I do not really want to buy a new one. I like the DS 4024 model and there is a 2005 here that I am seriously considering buying.

I also like the Ventana 3933 and have found a new 2007 that could be in my price range. Now I know the Dutch Star is a higher end model than the Ventana but by how much I don't know.

Is the 2007 Ventana comparable to the 2005 Dutch Star in ride, towing, quality? Do the 2007 Newmar models have the sidewall problems or were they fixed in 2006?

Thanks
C & P

C & P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello C @ P,

I (we) had the same problem... which MODEL???
Since we had just purchased the entry Level Gasser (2008 Bay Star), in Sep 2007 and had no problem and liked the QUALITY, RIDE, ETC... and the Kountry Klub...we looked at a whole bunch of brands, but a 2007 Newmar KOUNTRY STAR came rolling down into our hands.... so - we stick with the Newmar Brand.
I know, it gets harder and harder to decide !!!!!

Newmar is one of the better brands, just like you already know

Good Luck and lots of RVing fun
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
C&P, first, and foremost, welcome to the forum, your post will get you all the info you are looking for and then some.

Couple of things right off the top:

You will find a difference in the materials used between the Dutch Star and Ventana. The Ventana is currently Newmars' "Entry Level Diesel Pusher" whereas I believe in 2005 the Dutch Star was the mid level, non luxury line, Diesel Pusher. The Kountry Star was the "Entry Level DP" coach in 2005. That being said Newmars "Entry Level" coaches are far superior to all other comparable brands "Entry Level" coaches IMO, especially in standard equipment vs options and materials. When we were shoping I could not option up any comparable brand 2008 entry level to match the standard equipment on our 08 Ventana. I could come close, but the option list to get close drove the MSRP considerably higher than the MSRP on the Ventana. Newmar give you a ton of value for the $$. The Dutch Star line is more up-scale than Ventana line, more solid wood cabinetry, more solid surface material, bigger TV's, better satellite equipt, larger frigs, etc.

One of the other differences is that the Dutch Star Chassis will have independent front suspension, where the Ventana is a solid front axle, both will have full air bag suspension. Neither will have Comfort Drive steering. The best way to resolve the ride and handling is to test drive each and let them speak for themselves. I have never driven a IFS pusher, so cannot comment, but those that have moved from solid front axle to IFS swear by it.

The Dutch Star probably is powered by a Cat 400HP C9 which has oodles of torque (around 1200ftlbs), this is Cats' Heavy Duty RV engine. The 07 Ventana will have a Cummins ISB 330HP with approximately 650ftlbs of torque, this is Cummins Light Duty RV engine. The Dutch Star will probably be rated at least 10,000#'s above the Ventana so the bigger power plant is required.

I do not remember seeing any posts on this forum, or others, that talk to Ventana sidewall problems.

Keep us posted on the results of your "quest", IMO you cannot go wrong with a Newmar Product.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
A couple of clarifications.

The 2007 Ventana 3933 has a Cummins ISC 330hp, 950 ftpds of torque and is built on a Spartan Mountain Master chassis with solid beam front suspension. Dutch Star is built on a Mountain Master GT chassis with IFS.

The 2005's had a three year warranty (which may be expired by now) and the 2007 has a one year warranty from purchase date.

Ventana's have hardwood doors and "wrapped" stiles and cabinet sides as well as slide out trim.

We had a few "post cure" sidewall problems that were fixed at the factory during warranty. I would highly recommend factory service. We have been there 3 times and the quality is great.

Most of the other differences will be in trim level and minor differences (Cabinets above bed for example)

One major "AHA" we discovered (but not until after delivery) is the lack of a foot rest on the co-pilot seat. Ventana's don't, all other Newmar DP's do.

We have be very pleased with our Ventana and Newmar quality in general. The problems we have had have been mostly with components, not Newmar. They have taken good care of us as well.

PM me if you have any questions about the Ventana. We chose it over a new 2005 Kountry Star in the fall of 2006.

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
dhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #6

C and P, We have a 2004 Dutch Star Mdl. #4015. Ours has a 370 Cummins, which is our preference, and we tow a 20' enclosed trailer with a car and tons of other stuff inside. We live in eastern TN and when heading to New England have a fair share of mountains in TN, VA, and PA. We stay with the traffic and run 60-62 with no issues on hills, etc. I am not totally familar with the Ventana; but, you might want to check towing capacity vs. the DS. You also might want to look at tank capacities, the '04 has 150 gallon fuel tank with dual fill (one each side). The '05 DS should already be debugged; whereas, the '07 will need to be debugged and every motor home known to man needs to go through this when new regardless of how much you spend, dealer prep. etc.

Typically, a pusher gets improved fuel mileage with use, i.e. over 20m and over 40m. This may or may not be a consideration for you. Relative to the '05 you are considering check to see if all maintenance records are available. When it comes time for any engine maintenance We use Cummins exclusively and even more specifically we go to a Cummins shop that is also a Coach Care operation where they have techs. and facilities that are exclusive to motor homes. See www.coachcare.com.
Here in TN regardless of age, registration is $24 per year and the sales tax is 7%. We do not have a personal property or excise tax as we had in MA. Being based on value this can be a killer between an '05 vs. an '07. Again depending on where you live you may find a mega difference in insurance for an '05 vs.an '07; particularly, if you opt for replacement coverage vs. depreciated value coverage.

Hopefully, some of this will be helpful; however, if you need additional info. just come back to me or use the PM feature of this site. Good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #7

A couple of corrections on the last post.....
The '07 Ventana in the 39 ft model that you are considering has the Mountain Master chassis. I believe it is IFS with only the the short 3330 model having the I-beam NVS chassis in the '07s.

Also the Cummins 330 in the '07 model Ventana is the ISC and is rated at approx 950 tq.
The 3330 model has the ISB that is rated at 660 lbs with the MH3000 trans.

The '08 models all went to the new low emmissions ISBs that are rated at 350 hp and approx 750 lbs

I have been seeing new leftover '07 Ventana 3933s asking priced at $140k on a $220k sticker.
Probably could get one for slightly less. That's alot of new coach for the money. Whish the were that cheap a year ago when I bought mine.
MarcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #8

I too need to offer an addition. The'05 can use either regular diesel fuel or Ultra Low Sulphur fuel. The '07 can only use the ULS type fuel which yields lower mpg. Of course eventually we may only be able to find ULS where this will become a non-issue, Ken.....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Roberts:
I too need to offer an addition. The'05 can use either regular diesel fuel or Ultra Low Sulphur fuel. The '07 can only use the ULS type fuel which yields lower mpg. Of course eventually we may only be able to find ULS where this will become a non-issue, Ken..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the US, you will only get ULSD, even if the pump is labeled LSD.

Tanker trucks have been delivering nothing but ULSD since at least early 2007.

Some stations just haven't had their tanks certified as ULSD.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #10

We are proud owners of a 2007 4324 Dutch Star. We are so very happy about everything in our MH.

I would think if you are going to go full time, you should get all the bells and whistles that you could imagine you would need to be comfortable. It's a big investment and plenty of good deals out there. If not buying new, I agree with the maintenance records. You should look into them carefully.

Good Luck
Happymi
Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #11

Hi C&P

The only 'Deal Breaker' here is are you pulling a trailer or a Toad???

How heavy??

The Vantana 5000 Hitch
The DS 10000 Hitch

Rick
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #12

Our Ventana has a 10000 Hitch!

2007 Newmar Ventana 3933
KarenEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KarenEK:
Our Ventana has a 10000 Hitch! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does my 2009 Ventana.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #14

So does my Ventana!!!!

Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote