RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #1

Folks, I have really enjoyed reading this forum over the past week or so. You have confirmed for me that Newmar is the right choice. Now I need to decide which is the right model and begin my search.

First off, I'm looking to buy USED. I will only be using her 6 or 7 times a year for 100 mile runs down to the coast. So I need to be over the big depriciation hump - I guess that means I need a unit about 4 or 5 years old.

Second, my family consists on a very patient wife and three children ages 7, 6 and 5 - all girls. Since the trips will be for only 2 days or so, we don't really need 45 feet of MH.

Third, I am not wedded to either gas or diesel. I recognize the pros and cons of both. But on our trips we will be depending on the generator for power so I am guessing this will favor the diesel.

Fourth, BUDGET! Maybe the most important aspect. I'd like to stay around 100K. I could go higher for a real value in diesel and obviously would want to be much lower on older gas MH's.

I'm sure there are questions that I haven't even thought of - so please don't assume I have considered all the factors. I look forward to your observations, suggestions, questions, etc - AND most importantly I look forward to owning a Newmar soon.

Thanks, George in North Carolina

st.tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 AM   #2

Folks, I have really enjoyed reading this forum over the past week or so. You have confirmed for me that Newmar is the right choice. Now I need to decide which is the right model and begin my search.

First off, I'm looking to buy USED. I will only be using her 6 or 7 times a year for 100 mile runs down to the coast. So I need to be over the big depriciation hump - I guess that means I need a unit about 4 or 5 years old.

Second, my family consists on a very patient wife and three children ages 7, 6 and 5 - all girls. Since the trips will be for only 2 days or so, we don't really need 45 feet of MH.

Third, I am not wedded to either gas or diesel. I recognize the pros and cons of both. But on our trips we will be depending on the generator for power so I am guessing this will favor the diesel.

Fourth, BUDGET! Maybe the most important aspect. I'd like to stay around 100K. I could go higher for a real value in diesel and obviously would want to be much lower on older gas MH's.

I'm sure there are questions that I haven't even thought of - so please don't assume I have considered all the factors. I look forward to your observations, suggestions, questions, etc - AND most importantly I look forward to owning a Newmar soon.

Thanks, George in North Carolina

Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

George, WELCOME to iRV2 and the Newmar Owner's Forum...

Not sure where you're located in NC, but if you're anywhere near Concord or Marion you might visit Tom Johnson RV, or at least give them a call or check their web site.
You can get some pretty good ideas off of dealer web sites and they usually have pictures of what they're selling.

If the concept of a local dealer for service isn't an issue you could always check the internet, but I'm thinking the local dealer concept might be good for you at this point.

We look forward to following your posts detailing your search!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum George. For a 100k you should be able to find a Newmar that will be right for you. A gas rig may still be a good choice as the gas generators will run forever too. Additionally they are cheaper to repair or eventually replace if required. I would advise not to get a propane genset equipped unit. Their consumption on the propane tank may keep you needing to refuel often.
I'm sure other members will have some good advise for you to study. Best of luck with your quest.

Peter
Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #5

Bob and Peter -

Thank you for the welcome. Indeed I am hoping to buy from a dealer so I can start a good service relationship. Howard RV is the closest for me. I note Bob's problems with the parts guy but that should hopefully sort itself out.

Thank you, george
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

George, if you are in fact close to Howard I would go there and ask to speak to John Howard personally and relate your findings of the issues with Danny the parts manager on the forum...
It'll do two things in my opinion...
First, it will make John aware that this issue is in fact one that has been discussed on the forum and secondly it will give you a "leg up" on not having to deal with that issue as I'd be certain they'd not let it happen twice....LOL

Be aware that, if you see a new coach that Howard may not be your best place to buy as they're admittedly only discounting new coaches to 24%....As you're not in the "new" market that won't be an issue...When I was there I walked the lot and they did have a "decent" supply of used coaches.

I would also suggest using an independent source for RV pricing when buying used, in order to keep the dealers honest....There are several online "blue book" sources to choose from.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
George, welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
With all the girls you have you need a coach like mine. A bath and 1/2, large refer, two slides and ample room. My girls where teen ages when we took a trip across Canada and U.S.A. and we pulled a sleeper popup that held three girls and two brothers. It gave them there own space and allowed us to have friends over in evening.
My coach also has full closet space in bedroom for wife and the washer dryer closet I added three shelves for clothing for a guest we had traveling with us.
There are some web links to dealers first Topic up top where you can check their used inventory.
Enjoy the forum and do post often,
Good luck in your quest and hope you find your dream coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #8

George
First: Buying used would makes sense, seeing that you will not be using it very much. Age would depend on buying a gasser or diesel based on your 100K limit.

Second: Make sure the LR couch converts into a bed. The one in ours makes a very comfortable bed that will hold 3 children of the ages you listed. It holds our grandchildren very well.

Third: The generators in gas models do very well. I would not use the generator as a determining factor for either a gas or diesel MH, only that it had one large enough and works well.

Fourth: For 100k, you should be able to get a very nice gasser and a newer model than what you would be able to get with a diesel.

-As 007 mentioned before, 1 and 1/2 bath would be nice with your family size.
-At least 2 slides for more room.
-DVD player for the kids to watch movies.
-If you will be using the MH during very hot weather, then I would suggest it has 2 A/C units.

Good luck on finding a MH that fits your needs.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #9

This is great feedback!! I'm so glad that the gasser option is well regarded - it would be nice to be shopping for the top of the line rather than something lower in the diesel range. Also I had never thought of using a pop-up as a bunkhouse for the girls - that is such an excellent idea!!

I am very thankful for your input.

Cheers, george
Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #10

George

One thing to be careful of when looking at a gasser and that is the weight of the coach. Many manufacturers have built such a heavy "house" on the chassis that it leaves little or no margin for additional weight to be added. ie: water, clothes, groceries, fuel, etc. Watch this very carefully as it's relatively easy to exceed the legal / safe maximum weight. When you find a coach you like and have any questions about it, post your questions/concerns here and we'll be glad to help.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
for what its worth..I had a gas unit (other brand) loved the floor plan and all but after having a diesel and at first not using it much more than you plan to I liked the diesel much better re ride and storage..so you may go down a year or 2 but get more carry capacity and more storage and towing ability..just a thought drive them both...
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #12

George, You made the right choice going with Newmar. I would highly recomend a coach with a bath and a half. With just my wife and myself we would not buy another coach with just one bath.Also I highly recomend the Workhorse 22 or 24 chassis.I feel this chassis is the closest thing to a diesels ride and handling.Also, Tiffin motorhomes are also the same quality as Newmar if you see a good deal on one of them.Good luck and keep us posted on your new coach,whatever it might be.Bob
nowrelxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
George, when your looking, look for the chassis MFG's sticker on wall just behind driver it will have the axel weights on it a w-22 standard axel was 8,000 lb they have a optioned 8,500 lb axel which I have. There also was a 15,000 lb option instead of the 14,500 lb standard for the rear axel.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote