Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which water de-ionizer are you using?

We are looking for a portable water de-ionizer to use for a spot free rinse after washing the coach.

We want to carry this with us as we head out full time living.

What are our options?

John
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

Hi Steele, Have you, or others you know, been using deionized water on your coaches? Not sure if it applies to your coach, but the effects of DI water on certain metals/materials can be negative. I'm only asking because I personally have not seen someone using it to rinse their RV, and I've not considered it due to its corrosive nature. However, I did a google search and came across this DI Water Compatibility Chart you may find interesting:
DI Water Compatibility Chart | Greg Reyneke

Please let me know your thoughts, Thank You.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
We are looking for a portable water de-ionizer to use for a spot free rinse after washing the coach.

We want to carry this with us as we head out full time living.

What are our options?

John
We wash our motor home with soap first and rinse off with regular city water. And then, for the final rinse, I use this rechargeable 4 gallon garden sprayer full of distilled water that I buy at Walmart. It works great and no spots!

The sprayer even has wheels so it's easy to roll it around the coach while spraying it with distilled water, and portable enough to take it with us on the road.

David
Old 07-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Great Escape channel on YouTube did a comparison video recently of DI systems and their operating costs.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 2 of the CR Spotless systems. The larger one I keep at home & the smaller I keep in the coach. I use them all the time & love them. Great to use to get front cap cleaned off each day of driving, takes 5 min. I can also wash entire coach in about 45 min. Even in 90-95 heat in FL I can walk away and have no water spots. There's a few threads in the Entegra forum on here of people making their own systems. Also there's a guy that sells them at www.rvtransformers.com. I just got my refill of resin from there and a conversion kit to make my smaller CR system last longer.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #6

Check out the Double Standard Mixed Bed Deionizer with the Road Wave Pressure Washing System. It's pricy, but can be installed in your rig and used for a quick wash with on board water.
PamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the On The Go mixed bed de-ionizer and use it for my final rinse. Very happy with the performance. Saves a great deal of time when I wash our motorhome.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I use the On The Go Mixed Bed Deionizer, Standard Model. It fits in the nose of my DS4018. I connect it to my hot water tap and wash the coach without having to dry to prevent water spots.

http://www.portablewaterdi.com/deionizers.php
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought the Costco deionizer. https://www.costco.com/CR-SPOTLESS-D...6I%2BaybqUw%3D

If you're handy, you can cut down the frame and eliminate the wheels and handle, then mount it in a bay, using one of the collapsing hoses to rinse the coach.

I use mine at home. I wash and rinse one side of the coach and then rinse a final time with the CR Spotless unit. Because of the size of the motor home, using the CR unit to rinse after the soap would burn through the pellets pretty quick. I also have a water regulator on the output side that keeps the output to 15 psi as recommended by CR. Again, if you spray too hard, too fast, you'll use up the pellets quickly. Since there isn't a lot of pressure at 15 psi, I have one of those sprayer ends that has an 18" extension and adjustable nozzle. This way I can reach up and spray along the roof line.

I ideal place to put it, would be under the front hood to the right of the generator if you can squeeze it in. It wouldn't take up any storage space and be handy to access. I have a pressure washer installed there. I plumbed a hose connection to the driver's side of the coach s that I could quick connect a hose for the pressure washer from the campground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Kirk View Post
I use the On The Go Mixed Bed Deionizer, Standard Model. It fits in the nose of my DS4018. I connect it to my hot water tap and wash the coach without having to dry to prevent water spots.

http://www.portablewaterdi.com/deionizers.php

Capt. how about a couple of pics of the install!!
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Which water de-ionizer are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
Capt. how about a couple of pics of the install!!

I do plan to install the DI tank under the front cap, but I thought I'd try creating some storage space first. As you know, the 4018 genders do not slide, but it does have a fairly large gap between the genset and the front cap immediately under the hood.

So I found a couple of wire baskets at Lowes that dropped right in to that space and wedge themselves nicely between the genset and the front cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	167539
Kobalt Wire Basket

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	167540

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	167541
Baskets in place

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	167542
DI Tank resting in basket

I simply take the tank out, connect the hot water supply, add a hose and I'm washing and rinsing spot free.

In the future, I'd like to mount it in the area behind the driver headlight with brackets similar to those used on wall mounted fire extinguishers and add a flow regulator like Dutch Star Don.

This is my solution for now. I've been on the road full time since I picked the coach up in June 2016, so everything I do has to be done in the field. But for now it's working and protects my finish.
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

CRSpotless just released a new smaller sized model. Another outstanding product, much smaller, and doesn't take up much room in a storage bay. See the www.simplechuck.com. Price of refills has also come down and is an exchange system.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Hi Steele, Have you, or others you know, been using deionized water on your coaches? Not sure if it applies to your coach, but the effects of DI water on certain metals/materials can be negative. I'm only asking because I personally have not seen someone using it to rinse their RV, and I've not considered it due to its corrosive nature. However, I did a google search and came across this DI Water Compatibility Chart you may find interesting:
DI Water Compatibility Chart | Greg Reyneke

Please let me know your thoughts, Thank You.
unless your coach is Cast Iron, Carbon Steel, or Copper, I see no ill effects in there at all. None of these materials react well to moisture of any kind

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #14

I use this..........D.i.rinse - D. I. Resin For Spot Free Rinsing, Replacement D. I. Resin, Auto Detailing

Tags
water