RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Which year DS to buy?

Hello there,

First time poster. The wife and I have narrowed our search down to a used Newmar DS4018 or DS4002. We would likely target either a 2015 or 2016 model.

We are leaning towards used to avoid the (assumed) new depreciation hit as well as the shakedown issues.

My question is for those of you that have experience with both the pre 2016 models and the 2016 and beyond models.

Is the STAR foundation, the passive steering, the new slide hydraulics, and all tile floor, etc. found in the 2016 + models a "game changer" and therefore worth paying up for the 2016 and beyond models?

Since this is our first coach, I am not sure I would appreciate or notice these differences?

Thank you in advance!

TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Out of my territory here. Just wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Either one. On 2016+ coaches, make sure you check front axle weight and rear drive train alignment. There were some major issues. Also, make sure the recall for the slideout brace has been done also.

I was the same exact boat, looked at three 15s and 16s and ended up ordering a new one as the price difference wasnít a huge difference for us. Good luck!!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a link to help find a Newmar you will be happy with, the TSB link in it will get you necessary info you will need.
Here is a link to help you around irv2.
A lot happened in year 16 front ends changed to carry the extra weight of Stat chassis to support the new HWH slide system heavier slides.
Many caught up in this change out may add to how things worked out good or bad should help you.
COMFORT DRIVE has been on coach's since 2008.
We have Newmars in the Classifieds if your interested, people retiring from RV lifestyle or new coach in the works which has been busy.
Good luck in your search.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

The Star chassis and hope it is a Spartan plus with full tile floor and passive tag axle are important and would suggest a 16 or newer DS.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #7

No 2016 Dutch Star and High Line Coaches for me

I think Newmar incorporated too many structural changes in these 2016 coaches (my opinion). The problems that resulted included overloaded front axels (Dutch Stars) and unlevel slides (except the Ventana lines). To its credit, Newmar tried to correct the components to help resolve the problems. Because you want a DSDP 4002 plan, 2015 then 2017 and up are the models years that I would recommend you consider. I also like 2014 DSDP's for their value.

As kpecks said, once you get to the latest of the late model used units, the price differential is not substantial right now. That's why we are getting close to submitting an order for a 2019 model.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! This is a tuff decision. The 16 had a lot of upgraded design. If it were me I wold look at 16ís understanding the issues mentioned, in a lot of cases the issues were addressed by Newmar. I also went new do to the small gap in price, for less the $40,000 I purchase 2 years newer and got to custom order it. This made sense to us. Good luck Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #9

Thanks All,

Great information.

I am looking at a 15 this week and will make some inquiries on new remaining 2018's.

(With the MSRP for 19's in the 450K range, even when considering the discount off MSRP, seems like the price gap from a few years old to new could be substantial)

Thanks again!
TwinDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDriver View Post
Thanks All,

Great information.

I am looking at a 15 this week and will make some inquiries on new remaining 2018's.

(With the MSRP for 19's in the 450K range, even when considering the discount off MSRP, seems like the price gap from a few years old to new could be substantial)

Thanks again!

Substantial is always a relative term. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. You should be able to get at least 28% off MSRP on remaining 2018s, or more even.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #11

My experience is depreciation isn't as substantial as some would have you believe...at least with Newmar. I just haven't seen it.

As far as avoiding shakedown issues, if you're looking at 304 year old coaches you're probably beginning to have to deal with ongoing maintenance and repair issues anyway.

Looking at a brand new '19 that you can order and get exactly as you want it has it's advantages. Buying a new '18 sitting on the lot might be a great deal.