Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Whirlpool Refrigerator

I took the plunge and will pick up a new 2014 Essex in about a week. It has the 20 CF Whirlpool refrigerator with French Doors. In reading some reviews, I see several comments about the poor design and performance of the icemaker, amongst other overall negatives about the unit. Does anyone have this refer and can you share any comments you might have with its operation? Thanks.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There doesn't seem to be to many problems listed in this link , when traveling on the road would be concerned as to if the doors stay closed when cornering and what people may have done to correct it.
Here is a Owners Guide for your new Essex may have something in it.
Congratulations by the way on your new Essex and welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

My guess is that you could find negatives about almost anything if you looked deeply. That being said, however, there have been no secret threads, or undercurrents of discontent regarding that brand. My suggestion is; enjoy your Essex, as most of us have, and come to find what you like and don't like about it. There will be questions, concerns, and issues, so just ask as you go...and enjoy!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #4

Whirlpool reefer

Slabman - congrats on your new coach. We have an 11 Essex with the residential reefer and love it. Works fine----much, much better than the Norcold we had in out previous coach. Ice maker works fine. There's a door lock that keeps the doors locked during travel. Occasionally you may need to put some dilute bleach down the defrost drain to keep gunk from growing in the drain and blocking it---it's happened to me and several other folks that I know of.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #5

We put a Whirlpool fridge in our 04 Essex 3 years ago with very positive results. Ours is a 22 cu ft side by side with ice and water in the door. It is a ice making machine but we have another Whirlpool at our house with a different ice maker which is very slow in making ice. Different Whirlpool fridges of the same size have different ice makers. The one in the coach ice maker that works great takes the whole top shelf in the freezer and the one at house which is in the door not so good.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Tom, this one is about a 19.6 CF FRENCH DOOR unit with the icemaker in the upper LH corner of the fridge area, meaning it has to have it's own freezing coils to make ice. The refer section by itself won't get cold enough, of course. But the ice holding tray looks like it'll only hold enough ice for perhaps two drinks, meaning it HAS to have some super duper freeze coils or something to make ice faster than normal. And NO ice crusher on this baby! How am I going to make those margaritas with this setup?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Slbpman Our Whirlpool fridge in our coach does have crushed ice button and a very large ice bucket which it will fill in less then two days. There is enough ice to fill a plastic bag the size you would get at Walmart. It seems it is dropping ice about every two hours. I would suggest you test it to see if it will be getting you enough ice. Unless you want to use it to fill a small ice chest for traveling it might be A OK. Let us know your results. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, these must be two totally different mashines, so I can only hope it'll put out enough ice for my margaritas or I'll be an unhappy camper.

Tags
refrigerator